Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Gathland

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2 7:22 AM
      Tim --

      For those of us who don't live "up yonder," help me out here...
      What is CG and SMSB?

      Richard
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2 7:45 AM
        Hi Richard,

        Local historical site terminology is exhaustively long and
        habitually confusing, so I mercifully resort to abbreviation. "CG"
        stands for Crampton's Gap, "SMSB" is short form for South Mountain
        State Battlefield per House Bill 1183, 2000 Regular Session of the
        Maryland General Assembly.

        One can also use SM for the northern battlefield, also TG and FG for
        its respective gaps. Making matters worse, I've resorted to the
        abbreviation "GGSBP" concerning the Gathland name change
        ("Crampton's Gap State Battlefield Park"). Clear as mud, right? It's
        a complicated mountain.

        All this is spelled out with lots of maps in my next book coming out
        next month--which isn't a sales pitch. Libraries will have it soon
        enough. Borrow it. Ed Bearss wrote the foreword.

        Tim

      • 128thpa@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2 8:06 AM
          Thanks Tim, the web site was very informative - but I needed to truncate it or
          it wouldn't work.

          I am sorry if this info had been posted before, but I have read ever post from
          the list, but never saw it. In fact, I had been thinking I wasn't getting every post because people seem to be replying to posts and I had no clue what they were talking about. It seem like I was missing a couple of posts. I don't know that for certain, but it is that or in some of the posts folks are assuming we all know what is going on.

          Thanks,

          Paula
        • tjrhys62
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2 9:50 AM
            No problem, Paula. These threads sometimes get tangled a bit.
            Earthlink has been in a sling all this weekend, hence difficulties
            with the CG site. The Earthlink home page has been AWOL for two days
            straight.

          • 128thpa@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2 2:53 PM
              I thought I would mention that I have an interest in Gathland and especially the Correspondence Memorial as created by George Townsend. It appeared at one time that he wanted to be buried at Gathland, but in fact, he is buried in Laurel Hill Cem in Philadelphia, Pa. I sometimes give tours there.

              Paula