Re: Gathland

  • tjrhys62
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2004
      Paula,

      Rather than lay it all out again here let me direct your attention
      to the Legislation page of the Crampton's Gap website at
      http://home.earthlink.net/~tjreesecg/id6.html.

      The fictional term "Gathland" has been the bane of CG since the park
      opened in '58. For many years innumerable visitors have asked me why
      it isn't named for the battlefield it embraces. I've been working to
      that end on their behalf.

      Unfortunately SMSB advocates see this as a threat, both historically
      and budgetarily, in their view potentially drawing off funding which
      has yet to appear, keeping in mind that SMSB was cobbled together
      four years ago by usurping a CG initiative.

      If what you read there makes sense, please fell free to use Del.
      Weldon's email address to voice your views. The same goes for anyone
      perplexed by this parade of special-interest nonsense.

      Tim

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2004
        Tim --

        For those of us who don't live "up yonder," help me out here...
        What is CG and SMSB?

        Richard
        > Rather than lay it all out again here let me direct your attention
        > to the Legislation page of the Crampton's Gap website at
        > http://home.earthlink.net/~tjreesecg/id6.html.
        >
        > The fictional term "Gathland" has been the bane of CG since the park
        > opened in '58. For many years innumerable visitors have asked me why
        > it isn't named for the battlefield it embraces. I've been working to
        > that end on their behalf.
        >
        > Unfortunately SMSB advocates see this as a threat, both historically
        > and budgetarily, in their view potentially drawing off funding which
        > has yet to appear, keeping in mind that SMSB was cobbled together
        > four years ago by usurping a CG initiative.
        >
        > If what you read there makes sense, please fell free to use Del.
        > Weldon's email address to voice your views. The same goes for anyone
        > perplexed by this parade of special-interest nonsense.
        >
        > Tim
        >
        > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, 128thpa@c... wrote:
        > > <<I hear anything from Delegate Rick Weldon regarding the pending
        > > captal improvements plan, or re-naming of Gathland State Park, >>
        > >
        > > Tim:
        > >
        > > What is going on with Gathland? Why will it be renamed?
        > >

        > > Paula
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • tjrhys62
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2004
          Hi Richard,

          Local historical site terminology is exhaustively long and
          habitually confusing, so I mercifully resort to abbreviation. "CG"
          stands for Crampton's Gap, "SMSB" is short form for South Mountain
          State Battlefield per House Bill 1183, 2000 Regular Session of the
          Maryland General Assembly.

          One can also use SM for the northern battlefield, also TG and FG for
          its respective gaps. Making matters worse, I've resorted to the
          abbreviation "GGSBP" concerning the Gathland name change
          ("Crampton's Gap State Battlefield Park"). Clear as mud, right? It's
          a complicated mountain.

          All this is spelled out with lots of maps in my next book coming out
          next month--which isn't a sales pitch. Libraries will have it soon
          enough. Borrow it. Ed Bearss wrote the foreword.

          Tim

        • 128thpa@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2004
            Thanks Tim, the web site was very informative - but I needed to truncate it or
            it wouldn't work.

            I am sorry if this info had been posted before, but I have read ever post from
            the list, but never saw it. In fact, I had been thinking I wasn't getting every post because people seem to be replying to posts and I had no clue what they were talking about. It seem like I was missing a couple of posts. I don't know that for certain, but it is that or in some of the posts folks are assuming we all know what is going on.

            Thanks,

            Paula
          • tjrhys62
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2004
              No problem, Paula. These threads sometimes get tangled a bit.
              Earthlink has been in a sling all this weekend, hence difficulties
              with the CG site. The Earthlink home page has been AWOL for two days
              straight.

            • 128thpa@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2004
                I thought I would mention that I have an interest in Gathland and especially the Correspondence Memorial as created by George Townsend. It appeared at one time that he wanted to be buried at Gathland, but in fact, he is buried in Laurel Hill Cem in Philadelphia, Pa. I sometimes give tours there.

                Paula