Re: Books in my Library

  • tjrhys62
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2004
      Certainly no hurry, Tom. Thanks for responding.

      Actually all my data for the 96th PA were accrued at the National
      Archives, augmented by other period sources. I visited Mark Majors
      at Pottsville primarily to locate and photograph tombstones of Maj.
      Lewis Martin and Lt. John Dougherty, both of that regiment and CG
      fatalities, others as well. Mark also kindly showed me Colonel Henry
      Cake's presentation sword. Very fine specimen. I understand that he
      is no longer with the HSSC, this from some Pottsville folks I guided
      last fall.

      Honored to be in the group. It's among the most thought-provoking
      I've seen. Helpful to know where the best brains are wandering.
      Keeps the juices flowing.

      Hope my recent SM espose didn't appear too negative. It's difficult
      to find anything of redeeming value up on the mountain. The severe
      state budget deficit has stalled fiscal progress at SMSB. If and
      when I hear anything from Delegate Rick Weldon regarding the pending
      captal improvements plan, or re-naming of Gathland State Park, I
      will gladly pass it along via this venue. The jury is well out on
      most matters--as always.

      Any glitches you found in the first tome will be corrected if and
      when reprint occurs, just now unanticipated. The next book takes up
      where the last left off, taking CG to the campaign strategy level.
      Should raise a few eyebrows, but I fortunately have Lee and
      McClellan to back me up, bless 'em.

      My wife Jan and I will soon devote a weekend day-out to Pottsville.
      Time to get digital images of Martin and Dougherty graves, with a
      layover at the Garfield Diner of course. Maybe we'll run into each
      other. It's a neat town and a neat county. Fascinating place.

      Tim