Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Books in my Library

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2004
      tjreesecg@... writes:
      In your bibliographical listing below you cite a Crampton's Gap book
      (mine) with "occasional errors." If legitimate, it would be helpful
      to know what these are so I can address them. Please specify.
      Mr. Reese, it is indeed an honor to correspond with you. It has been about 18
      months since I read your book and it may take a little time for me to locate
      the points upon which I found dispute. I recall Mark Majors helped you with
      your data about the 96th PA. Mark is a great resource on that regiment and you
      did well by utilizing his assistance. I shall try to revisit the subject as
      soon as time permits. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed your book and thought it a
      great micro-history of the actions surrounding Crampton's Gap. The only other
      resource I found useful has been the Blue & Gray issue on the battle. Hopefully I
      marked the text which I found disputable.

      My thanks for being a member of this group. Your recent comments and info
      about the South Mtn battlefield have caused me and others unexpected concern
      regarding it's future. Keep us informed as events warrant.

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA (Schuylkill County)

    • tjrhys62
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2004
        Certainly no hurry, Tom. Thanks for responding.

        Actually all my data for the 96th PA were accrued at the National
        Archives, augmented by other period sources. I visited Mark Majors
        at Pottsville primarily to locate and photograph tombstones of Maj.
        Lewis Martin and Lt. John Dougherty, both of that regiment and CG
        fatalities, others as well. Mark also kindly showed me Colonel Henry
        Cake's presentation sword. Very fine specimen. I understand that he
        is no longer with the HSSC, this from some Pottsville folks I guided
        last fall.

        Honored to be in the group. It's among the most thought-provoking
        I've seen. Helpful to know where the best brains are wandering.
        Keeps the juices flowing.

        Hope my recent SM espose didn't appear too negative. It's difficult
        to find anything of redeeming value up on the mountain. The severe
        state budget deficit has stalled fiscal progress at SMSB. If and
        when I hear anything from Delegate Rick Weldon regarding the pending
        captal improvements plan, or re-naming of Gathland State Park, I
        will gladly pass it along via this venue. The jury is well out on
        most matters--as always.

        Any glitches you found in the first tome will be corrected if and
        when reprint occurs, just now unanticipated. The next book takes up
        where the last left off, taking CG to the campaign strategy level.
        Should raise a few eyebrows, but I fortunately have Lee and
        McClellan to back me up, bless 'em.

        My wife Jan and I will soon devote a weekend day-out to Pottsville.
        Time to get digital images of Martin and Dougherty graves, with a
        layover at the Garfield Diner of course. Maybe we'll run into each
        other. It's a neat town and a neat county. Fascinating place.

        Tim