Re: Books in my Library

  • tjrhys62
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2004
      For Tom Shay:

      In your bibliographical listing below you cite a Crampton's Gap book
      (mine) with "occasional errors." If legitimate, it would be helpful
      to know what these are so I can address them. Please specify.

      Tim Reese

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 4/23/04 9:08:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > james2044@h... writes:
      > I have the Sears, Preist and Harsh books on the battle and
      Preist's
      > book on South Mountain. What else would the group recommend?
      Now,
      > when I'm at Antietam, where is the best place to buy it?
      > See NPS website at http://www.nps.gov/anti/ for weekend hikes.
      >
      > See http://store.yahoo.com/antietammuseum/ for Antietam bookstore.
      >
      > BLUE & GRAY MAGAZINE: the Visitor Center has copies of the issues
      focusing on
      > Antietam. Each is well worth purchasing. Subjects include West
      Woods, Crampton
      > ’s Gap, Hood’s Attack, etc.
      >
      > DISASTER IN THE WEST WOODS by Marion Vince Armstrong.
      > Fairly new tactical study limited to Sedgwick’s assault into
      West Woods. I
      > recommend it.
      >
      > The MONUMENTS AT ANTIETAM book is nice to have when looking for
      the stories
      > behind the various monuments in the park.
      >
      > The TRAILHEAD GRAPHICS map of Antietam is about $9 and a great
      reference tool.

      > The BURNSIDE’S BRIDGE book is a decent micro-study of action at
      the bridge.

      > The book on Crampton’s Gap battle (I have it but can’t recall
      title) is
      > detailed account of that battle. I recall some comments about
      having occasional
      > errors.
      >
      > Kathleen’s Ernst’s TOO AFRAID TO CRY examines the impact of
      the battle on
      > local civilians. If this interest you, this book is the perfect
      source.

      > BIVOUACS THE DEAD by Steven R. Stotelmyer
      > Great book that includes the histories & rosters of Antietam
      National
      > Cemetery, Washington Cemetery, Mt. Olivet Cemetery, and Elmwood
      Cemetery. Not a study
      > of the battle but interesting reading about post-battle burials.
      >
      > I just finished McPherson’s CROSSROADS OF FREEDOM ANTIETAM and
      found is just
      > okay and too short. It’s puts the Antietam campaign in
      perspective but
      > provides merely overview of the campaign.
      >
      > I recommend that you get the various free brochures at the VC on
      South
      > Mountain, Cornfield Trail hike, etc.
      >
      > I heard two Gettysburg guides (Gary Adelman & Tim Smith) are soon
      to release
      > an Antietam photo-study.
      >
      > No further word on Gettysburg Ranger Scott Hartwig's writing of an
      Antietam

    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2004
        tjreesecg@... writes:
        In your bibliographical listing below you cite a Crampton's Gap book
        (mine) with "occasional errors." If legitimate, it would be helpful
        to know what these are so I can address them. Please specify.
        Mr. Reese, it is indeed an honor to correspond with you. It has been about 18
        months since I read your book and it may take a little time for me to locate
        the points upon which I found dispute. I recall Mark Majors helped you with
        your data about the 96th PA. Mark is a great resource on that regiment and you
        did well by utilizing his assistance. I shall try to revisit the subject as
        soon as time permits. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed your book and thought it a
        great micro-history of the actions surrounding Crampton's Gap. The only other
        resource I found useful has been the Blue & Gray issue on the battle. Hopefully I
        marked the text which I found disputable.

        My thanks for being a member of this group. Your recent comments and info
        about the South Mtn battlefield have caused me and others unexpected concern
        regarding it's future. Keep us informed as events warrant.

        Tom Shay - Cressona, PA (Schuylkill County)

      • tjrhys62
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2004
          Certainly no hurry, Tom. Thanks for responding.

          Actually all my data for the 96th PA were accrued at the National
          Archives, augmented by other period sources. I visited Mark Majors
          at Pottsville primarily to locate and photograph tombstones of Maj.
          Lewis Martin and Lt. John Dougherty, both of that regiment and CG
          fatalities, others as well. Mark also kindly showed me Colonel Henry
          Cake's presentation sword. Very fine specimen. I understand that he
          is no longer with the HSSC, this from some Pottsville folks I guided
          last fall.

          Honored to be in the group. It's among the most thought-provoking
          I've seen. Helpful to know where the best brains are wandering.
          Keeps the juices flowing.

          Hope my recent SM espose didn't appear too negative. It's difficult
          to find anything of redeeming value up on the mountain. The severe
          state budget deficit has stalled fiscal progress at SMSB. If and
          when I hear anything from Delegate Rick Weldon regarding the pending
          captal improvements plan, or re-naming of Gathland State Park, I
          will gladly pass it along via this venue. The jury is well out on
          most matters--as always.

          Any glitches you found in the first tome will be corrected if and
          when reprint occurs, just now unanticipated. The next book takes up
          where the last left off, taking CG to the campaign strategy level.
          Should raise a few eyebrows, but I fortunately have Lee and
          McClellan to back me up, bless 'em.

          My wife Jan and I will soon devote a weekend day-out to Pottsville.
          Time to get digital images of Martin and Dougherty graves, with a
          layover at the Garfield Diner of course. Maybe we'll run into each
          other. It's a neat town and a neat county. Fascinating place.

          Tim