Spinning Wheels on South Mountain

  • tjrhys62
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2004
      Continuing South Mountain thread of recent days, anyone wishing to
      delve further into preservation status should have a look at today's
      posting on The Civil War Bookshelf at http://cwbn.blogspot.com/. It
      pays to research and think these things out before assuming that
      progress is being made.

      Tim
    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2004
        Tim,

        I would be interested in hearing what your views and/or vision for the best
        way to preserve the South Mountain battlefields above and beyond what I have
        looked at from the various sites you have been kind enough to include. If
        you want to take this to private e-mail that is fine also. I am truly
        interested in what you have to say and your philosophy of what it is going
        to take. At the time I left CMHL they wanted to get away from the emphasis
        the Civil War as the reason we formed CMHL and concentrate on other things
        like Tea Shops and backing various sundry candidates in Middletown.

        Kevin

        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GmiolB/TM
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2004
          It looks like I might be doing a "radio tour" promoting my book signing at
          Antietam in the next couple of months and had hoped that I could use that
          opportunity to pile on on the South Mountain issue (and maybe do some good).
          But it appears to be so complicated that I wouldn't have time to say any
          more than "build us a park."

          If this happens, I may want to speak with one or two of you beforehand, just
          to get a better feel for what's going on.

          I know Antietam has made some great progress lately, but still needs some
          help. Maybe I should just stick to that.

          Richard
          > I would be interested in hearing what your views and/or vision for the
          best
          > way to preserve the South Mountain battlefields above and beyond what I
          have
          > looked at from the various sites you have been kind enough to include. If
          > you want to take this to private e-mail that is fine also. I am truly
          > interested in what you have to say and your philosophy of what it is going
          > to take. At the time I left CMHL they wanted to get away from the
          emphasis
          > the Civil War as the reason we formed CMHL and concentrate on other things
          > like Tea Shops and backing various sundry candidates in Middletown.
          >
          > Kevin

        • tjrhys62
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2004
            Hi Kevin,

            No need to go private. Everyone has a stake in this. You too,
            Richard.

            First let's get our terms straight. "South Mountain" means Turner's
            and Fox's gaps exclusively. Crampton's Gap was a separate ball game,
            so said Lee and McClellan. South Mountain is the truly endangered
            battlefield as you know so well.

            The time for philosophy has unfortunately long since passed. Now
            it's a matter of setting aside what remains not already spoken for.
            As Dimitri has underscored time and again, "state battlefields"
            and "battlefield parks" cannot exist unless the land is brought into
            the public domain. That accomplished, a public mandate for access
            and amenities must be charted and funded, staffing hired and
            assigned, and a viable management plan enacted.

            H.B. 1183, by which SMSB was created (sort of), excludes everything
            traditionally associated with the "battlefield park" model laid down
            by the NPS, i.e., no visitors center, no site historian, nothing
            concrete reflective of a real public battlefield. The bill's wording
            makes this amply clear. By that measure H.B. 1183 is inherently
            flawed prior to passage, a virtual battlefield.

            So where to from here? Were I a pessimist I'd say it's far too late.
            But a few unlikely steps would go a long way toward the real thing:

            1) CMHL must deed all its current holdings to the State of Maryland,
            to be folded into existing mountain purview. It's preposterous for
            any preservation group to claim property management in perpetuity.
            The "White House" property on the National Pike would be of no use
            unless it fell contiguous to current state property. CMHL can either
            run tea rooms and act as a local PAC or it can focus on its
            incipient battlefield raison d'etre. It's too small, too incompetent
            to do both.

            2) The current Program Open Space effort to acquire easements should
            be abandoned. This may work well for keeping ag land under crop, but
            it does nothing for cultural sites. The money has all but dried up
            anyway due to Gov. Erlich's austerity program. Lean times, lean
            minds.

            3) South Mountain State Battlefield, such as it is, HQed at
            Washington Monument State Park, should be frozen in place, audited
            for to-date expenditure (no more repro cannons, office
            embellishments, or other wasteful personal toys), reviewed for
            viable management plan, and re-defined according to historical
            documentation. Though seemingly self-serving, my next book (only 70
            pages) lays out the latter in excruciating detail.

            4) Existing and potentially acquired state lands must be re-
            evaluated as being either forestry or battlefield land determined by
            accessibility, safety, and security. If suitable contiguous public
            lands cannot be practically united into a developable battlefield
            entity, suited to people walking it, then you have no state
            battlefield. Pipe dreams won't work.

            5) No state park ranger should hold a seat on the CMHL board of
            directors, a clear conflict of interest. Crackpot hobbyists should
            not be allowed to act as state-sponsored historical consultants.
            This sounds harsh, but it's the blunt truth. Park rangers and
            hobbyists are virtual historians by self-proclamation.

            6) Policy must be hammered out with Appalachian Trail Conference to
            determine what can and cannot be done contiguous to their holdings.
            They were there first circa 1930s. Divergent authorities MUST
            confer.

            7) A panel of legitimate, specialized campaign historians should be
            established as state consultants. Only they can accurately
            determine, without personal bias, where the battlefield lies, the
            descending order of importance assigned to each segment, and how
            best to publicly access each if indeed they be public lands.

            7) Last but hardly least (you may not like this one), if it is
            determined that insufficient land, fiscal commitment, and/or
            planning resources do not exist to pursue the SMSB concept, then it
            should be abandoned. End of story.

            In counterpoint I would add that many, in addition to myself, have
            long wondered why a) a 1998 initiative started for the Crampton's
            Gap battlefield was diverted to create an ersatz SMSB, b) why staff
            and funding for Gathland State Park didn't re-materialize after the
            last state budget crunch, and c) why CMHL has proclaimed long and
            loudly that "we're not interested in Crampton's Gap." My wife Jan
            served on the CMHL board when these words were uttered, she
            resigning thereafter.

            I would point out that the only battlefield land lying within a
            state park on South Mountain lies at Crampton's Gap. It's time to
            get the foxes out of the hen house, then we can see if anything can
            be salvaged. It isn't much I'm afraid, but it's all we've got after
            years of intrigue, incompetence, and pseudo-intellectual looting.

            For years people like me have tried it their way, careful not to
            tread on sensitive egos or pompous allegations of expertise. No more
            Mr. Nice Guy! What's your take on all this, Kevin? How about the
            rest of you? Don't leave me out here alone for another year. Sorry
            to be so long-winded. These are complex issues, made more so by
            divergent motives.

            Tim

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Rawlings, Kevin"
            <kevin.rawlings@s...> wrote:
            > Tim,
            >
            > I would be interested in hearing what your views and/or vision for
            the best
            > way to preserve the South Mountain battlefields above and beyond
            what I have
            > looked at from the various sites you have been kind enough to
            include. If
            > you want to take this to private e-mail that is fine also. I am
            truly
            > interested in what you have to say and your philosophy of what it
            is going
            > to take. At the time I left CMHL they wanted to get away from the
            emphasis
            > the Civil War as the reason we formed CMHL and concentrate on
            other things
            > like Tea Shops and backing various sundry candidates in Middletown.
            >
            > Kevin

            Printer
            Message 5 of 6 , May 5 11:15 AM
              Tim,

              Hope you have not given up on me. I have been running here at work the last
              several days and have not had time to respond like I wanted.

              The "White House" property is no longer owned by CMHL, but is owned by a
              person who does reside on the current BOD. Since the Iron Brigade site is
              now owned by the State (CMHL donated it to the State), I would opine that
              the property is contiguous. I believe he joined the board after his purchase
              of the property. The owners are required to open the house for tours one
              weekend out of the year for walk throughs by the public per Maryland
              Historic easements or requirements ( I can't think of the entity on the tip
              of my tongue just now). Not that this is currently happening for all I know.
              The guy that bought it is a little strange.

              I agree with your statement about Al having a conflict of interest sitting
              on CMHL's board and brought that up when I rejoined the board. I was
              promptly told by Bill Wilson I was a troublemaker and my opinion was of no
              account as the rest of the board saw no conflict. As far as "crackpot
              hobbyist" I take it you refer to George B. or Steve S.? If you meant George,
              I don't know if I would go so far as calling him a crackpot, but he did
              manage to damage his creditability, especially with the State, by having the
              media tantrum he had. It did not help that Bill Wilson and his minions
              helped to undermine George at the same time and eventually knifed him in the
              back. The tea shop owner at the Lamar House is a good friend of Bill's and
              he was very instrumental in overriding our opposition to it. Because of our
              opposition to the tea shop, Bill managed to convene illegally a special
              board meeting and removed George from the organization. Following that
              meeting several of us were told we were next if continued to oppose Bill's
              agenda as Executive Director. One of the items Bill pushed long and hard on
              was to have the Executive Director's position to have a BOD vote. Currently
              he and his wife Molly both sit on the Board.

              Now I was on the BOD when you say the CMHL said it was not interested in
              Crampton's Gap. What I remember being discussed was the several groups that
              were involved in Crampton's Gap/Gathland, including Paul Gilligan's new
              group. We agreed we would only serve to muddy the waters by adding another
              group to the mix and decided to stay out of any involvement with Crampton's
              Gap/Gathland. We figured we had all we could do to just take care of Fox's
              and Turner's Gaps and our addition to Crampton's Gap/Gathland would involve
              too many cooks' hands in the soup. We had also gotten fed up with Paul's "I
              want to be involved with you/I don't want to be involved with you" stances
              on any wind direction that happen to be blowing any given day. There was
              already group infrastructures for Crampton's Gap/Gathland/Burkettsville
              where there was none at the other gaps. That is the way I remember it unless
              there were some things said afterwards that I was not privy to. It was not
              because we were uninterested in Crampton's Gap.

              My opinion of Greenbriar Lake being associated with the budget of the SMSB
              is preposterous and should be its own entitiy. Unfortunately, the turf
              politics from within the State Parks will not allow that separation and thus
              lake tourism requiring picnic tables and such will take precedent over
              historic and battlefield needs and the budget for SMSB will continue to
              starve, unless I am off the mark.

              I don't know what the score is or what is needed any longer. I threw up my
              hands in fustration with the turn of events at CMHL and kept to myself for
              the last several years. But I don't like what I see happening on South
              Mountain and have slowly begun to get back involved. But as of this writing,
              I am not sure with whom or what group. I just know I cannot sit on the
              sideline and tsk-tsk all that is wrong or incompetent that I see. I am
              involved with George and a new group at this time but I am not even sure
              what we are working at is doable or right. I am not even sure another group
              is the answer. My feeling of "I have done my time in the trenches, let
              someone else carry the burden awhile" on top of working on another book,
              just does not leave enough time in the day or the week.

              On a side note, did Joe Hooker spend some time recuperating in Middletown
              after Antietam? If he did, do you know where he stayed? I believe Hayes
              stayed at the Rudy House (504 Main Street?).

              Good seeing you and Jan the other night in Boonsboro. The book you have
              coming out on the Maryland Campaign, is that the 70 page book you are
              talking about or is it a longer book?

              All the best,
              Kevin
            • tjrhys62
              Message 6 of 6 , May 5 1:53 PM
                Kevin,

                Ah, power democracy. You gotta love it. Thanks for the update on
                CMHL holdings or lack thereof.

                The "White House" property, now being out of CMHL ownership as you
                say, remains private whether or not it falls contiguous to state
                land. By "Iron Brigade site" I take it you mean the ground on the
                high side of the pike, that traversed solely by the 6th & 7th
                Wisconsin. This too is situated far from any state land to which it
                could be attached in any SMSB context. In between lie fee-simple
                sale lots. See what I mean? If the current owner of the WH property
                were to deed it to the state, then perhaps a narrow public ingress
                might be established, accessible from the WH.

                Easements would have no effect, they being essentially public money
                dolled out to private property owners to keep it private. No state
                battlefield here. Half-measures, such as loosely agreed present-
                owner covenants to traverse, are not long-term binding. And as you
                observe, "strange guys" are not to be depended upon when hairs get
                split. These wholly private lands, CMHL owned or otherwise, cannot
                be construed as a portion of SMSB unless deeded into public domain.

                Regarding Ranger Al Preston, in recent years I've caught him in so
                many lies I resigned from work at Gathland in 2002 and cut off all
                communication. In the meantime he spews misinformation abroad about
                the battlefield, me, and Burkittsville in his dubious capacity as
                titular head of SMSB. Within the past month two such instances have
                come to my attention. Nothing like official clout to lend
                credibility to untruth.

                I think you've learned the hard way that anyone using preservation
                logic and common sense will inevitably fall afoul of the anointed in
                DNR and CMHL. Strange bedfellows. Both have conflicting agendas
                irrespective of what they tout publicly. Al just wants to play with
                his cannon (excuse the expression) on as much battlefield land as he
                can access, and Bill Wilson desperately wants to be Czar. I'm
                reliably informed that Wilson showed up uninvited at the autumn
                meeting of the Friends at Gathland, quickly got into a shouting
                match with a state rep from Annapolis, then vigorously shoved her to
                the floor. Yep, a woman. Nice guy.

                George isn't the crackpot hobbyist I had in mind, but he'll do. Over
                the years George proved to me in spades that he too had an agenda. I
                omit details herein. At an SMSB hearing George angrily asserted that
                it was he who had started the initiative for SMSB. In reply Park
                Manager Dan Speddon said that it was a shame that the two guys who
                really did start it-¬óBill van Gilder and myself-¬ówere no longer
                involved. We both backed away when our initiative for Crampton's Gap
                was pirated for creation of SMSB. Bill washed his hands of the whole
                thing in disgust.

                In my personal opinion George needs a shrink, though he has my
                sympathy for a Wilson knife job comparable to your own. It was
                George and his disciples who diverted state attention/funding from
                Crampton's many years ago. I pulled his knife from my back and kept
                going. Then Bill put one in his. Do I detect a pattern here? Sounds
                like a bag of weasels to me. Meanwhile lands formerly of little or
                no interest as house sites have leaped in value to the point where
                preservationists would have to pay out developers' prices tantamount
                to extortion. In this respect it's now too late for purchase,
                notably by a state government well in the hole.

                There was never more than one group infrastructure marginally
                concerned (purportedly) with CG, that being Paul Gilligan's jumped
                up SM Heritage Society, basically a band wagon without wheels.
                George had maintained that CG needed no attention because
                surrounding land was all in ag easement. It wasn't and never had
                been. Paul really wasn't interested either, being far more eager for
                public office and local land control. His favorite expression
                is "capture properties," which he hasn't a clue what to do with
                after capture--including his own dilapidated farm. Paul shot himself
                in the foot so many times in recent years he can scarcely walk now.
                The Mid-Maryland Land Trust showed him the door (like George with
                CMHL) and the Heritage Society is poised to do the same now that his
                mandatory 12-year board seat has expired. Gilligan's island is
                sinking fast. Talks to himself a lot. He and CMHL won't have to do
                battle anymore. Nothing left to fight over anyway. They cancelled
                each other out.

                What all this adds up to is nearly two decades of political
                intrigue, behind-the-scenes maneuvering, and internecine warfare as
                egos angled for supremacy. Forget the who-struck-John of it. Really
                doesn't matter anymore who's to blame. The end result is the same:
                Nothing permanent.

                It should now be amply clear what H.B. 1183 was all about. It was,
                and remains, a bureaucratic shell game crafted to funnel additional
                funds into SM Recreation Area coffers for unrelated uses such as
                Greenbrier Lake diversions you cited. Oh, and Al got a repro cannon,
                limber, implements, new weapons and uniforms to wear, framed CW
                prints for his office, and a new patrol vehicle out of the bargain.
                Remind me sometime to fill you in on Al's purchase of an original
                Mississippi Rifle using his state credit card to its limit as a down
                payment. The state yanked his card when they found out. Curiouser
                and curiouser. Al(ice) in wonderland.

                Speddon has been bellyaching about his budget for years. SMSB was
                the answer to his prayers. While I was working at Gathland even his
                rangers and other DNR personnel were vocal about misuse of funds--
                out of Dan's earshot of course. Where I come from this is called
                malfeasance, unlawful, and arrogantly hypocritical to public
                mandate. In the early stages of SMSB consideration Delegate Sue
                Hecht said it best: "DNR is a law unto itself."

                Don't feel bad if you don't know the score. No one else does either.
                Truth is private groups can have no impact, because they were and
                are an integral part of the problem from the start. It all boils
                down to a simple mantra. If it isn't publicly owned, don't call it a
                public battlefield. Someone will call you on it.

                You, George and whoever can form another group if you like. But
                you'll run into the same old wall of lies, hubris, and unmitigated
                spin. True enough; you've done your bit insofar as the powers that
                be would allow. It will probably take class action public interest
                lawsuits to put cake under the SMSB icing. But neither of us has the
                time or bucks to spend the next five years in court. Barring that,
                public demand for state comptroller's audit of SMSB might do the
                trick.

                For what it's worth, I've learned to join nothing, work
                independently, and to get as much documented information out to the
                public as possible so well-informed decisions can be made on a far
                broader plane. The next book (the 70-pager out next month) lays down
                the law according to Lee and Mac concerning the Md. Campaign.
                Thereafter if government cranks want to continue their backroom
                games, they will do so with everybody else knowing the score and
                looking on with jaundiced eye. Got fungus? Shine a harsh light on
                it. Eventually it will wither and die. But by then it will be far
                too late for the battlefield. Manipulators win; public loses, again.

                (Mac's HQ) with his painful foot wound and treated their for awhile,
                somewhere upstairs. His disposition thereafter eludes memory, but
                I've never read anything about his treatment in Middletown. You are
                spot on about RB Hayes at the Rudy House. His wife Lucy came over
                from Ohio to look after him personally, distrustful of army medics.
                Smart lady. Maybe she should have been the 19th president.

                Good to see you too. Love the beard. Very extinguished, sorry
                distinguished. Juuust kidding. Hang in there, by your finger nails
                if necessary. Yours is a purer faith.