Re: [TalkAntietam] RE: Jackson, D.H. Hill, and Longstreet

  • Teej Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2001
      Harry wrote:

      > No. Peter's recollections were that Jackson was in favor of the division of
      > forces. Either Longstreet's recollection was correct, or it was faulty, or
      > it may have been deliberately false in order to cast aspersions on Jackson.
      > By saying Stonewall agreed with Lee in what Longstreet felt at the time was a
      > bad move, and that history bore out that it was a bad move, Pete would be
      > diminishing Jackson. I feel this is unlikely, though.
      >
      > I have read the Hill biography, and am familiar with the incident you are
      > referring to. I just don't know who to believe.

      Not to insinuate that Pete would fib, but my money would be on Hill's
      account. Evidently it was not unusual for the usually taciturn Jackson
      to share his feelings with his brothers in law as he did disclose his
      Black Flag Policy to his other brother in law, Rufus Barringer.

      Teej
    • hjs21@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28, 2001
        In a message dated 5/28/01 10:05:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        teej@... writes:

        Not to insinuate that Pete would fib, but my money would be on Hill's
        account. Evidently it was not unusual for the usually taciturn Jackson
        to share his feelings with his brothers in law

        Of course, Pete may not be fibbing, his recollection may just be faulty.  Or,
        perhaps Jackson appeared to be in favor of the move when Longstreet entered
        the tent, even though Jackson had his own reservations.  Unlike Pete, Jackson
        was not in a position to question Lee's orders...at that time, Lee was still
        not 100% sold on the Blue Light.  At 2BR, Longstreet did present arguments to
        Lee's suggested moves.  So, maybe Jackson DID disagree with the decision, but
        kept his feelings to himself.  In this case, the recollections of both Hill
        and Longstreet could be correct.

        It is indeed curious that, up until Fredericksburg, where Jackson may have
        made this revelation to Hill, their relationship was quite strained...see
        Hill's letters home during this time.  Not to put forward a conspiracy
        theory, but don't you find it a little odd that Jackson took the time to
        PERSONALLY hand write a long document like S. O. 191 and send it to Hill?  At
        a time when I'm sure Jackson must have had a million other things to do?
        Oliver Stone might stage it thus:

        Sometime in October 1862, Hill makes a call on his brother-in-law:

        "Thomas, I think I may have f***ed up" (remember, this is Hollywood)

        "What now, Harv"

        "I think I lost my copy of Granny's S. O.   You know, the one that was found?"

        "Nice move, dork."

        "Tom, I need to cover my butt.  For the sake of our wives...."

        "Oh, all right, get me a pen."

        Harry