Re: South Mountain

  • tjrhys62
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 28 2:43 PM
      Hi Kevin,

      No one is referring to you; nor is anyone questioning your motives.
      Let's be a little less sensitive. The dishonesty I invoke is
      inherent and deliberate to the entire mountain "preservation"
      process, infused into its every fiber from the get-go. When it all
      began back in the `80s only George Brigham and I gave a damn. George
      went off the deep end; I went back to the books where I remain. The
      next publishing installment appears in June.

      You and I both owe Richard a bit more candor. Of course the Reno and
      Garland monuments will stay put! The former has been there over a
      century; the latter is little more than a headstone sunk into CMHL
      land 250 yards from the site. How contrived. Richard of course knew
      they would remain, posing his question in saddened rhetoric. One can
      scarcely blame him, one who can appreciate D.H. Hill's dilemma.

      Those of us who have been on the "inside", who have experienced
      covert agendas, and who have been disgusted at the ensuing
      spectacle, owe it to every person interested in these sites to tell
      it like it was, is, and mostly likely will remain. The maxim is "qui
      tacet consentire": silence betokens consent.

      I don't like to admit it, but the grim truth is that the South
      Mountain battlefield (Turner's and Fox's) is a goner. Like those
      I've learned to detest, I could continue to pretend something
      meaningful is afoot. But it isn't. Only egos, careers, and bank
      accounts matter these days.

      You have my sincere sympathy for your past efforts, much good may
      they do you. But now isn't the time to let the bastards get away
      with it using our good will, tax dollars, and patience. It's time we
      all called a spade a spade in both historical and preservation
      contexts. Go through the URLs I sited to Richard; then tell me your
      blood doesn't boil.

      If we don't speak out, who will? Thanks for caring as always.

      Tim

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Rawlings, Kevin"
      <kevin.rawlings@s...> wrote:
      > Tim,
      >
      > No one is being dishonest if you are referring to me. There is
      some truth to
      > what you say and I agree with you about the state, political and
      private
      > concerns of the South Mountain battlefields. His question about
      the Reno and
      > Garland monuments being moved, as far as I know, there are no
      plans afoot to
      > move either unless you know something I do not. Also, at this
      point in time
      > I am not associated with any group except Save Historic Antietam
      Foundation.

      http://mlis.state.md.us/PDF-
      > Documents/2000rs/bills/hb/hb1183t.pdf for the official language of
      > what South Mountain "Fake" Battlefield is and is not. It's icing
      > without a cake which children naturally prefer.
      >
      > While the kiddies play, the house burns. Santa can't get down this
      > chimney.
      >
      > Tim

      Printer
      > at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
      > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GmiolB/TM
    • Ronald Church
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 12 8:04 PM
        The name of the road is Dahlgren Road. It's about a mile long and joins
        with Frost Town Road which connects to Mount Tabor Road which loops back
        into and back into Alt. 40 opposite Bolivar Road. If you haven't driven the
        loop I highly recommend it. I recommend starting at Mt. Tabor Road. The
        last half of it heading up toward the crest will reveal some of the most
        Godawful terrain imagineable for an attack. Imagine the boys in blue down
        at the bottom at Frost Town Road where they assembled, having to attack up
        the hill toward the crest. Has to be seen to be appreciated.
        Ron Church
        Manchester MD

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 13 5:32 AM
          Thanks guys. I'll head out right now.

          Stephen

        • rchurch@qis.net
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 13 6:14 AM
            Meade's forces generally fanned out across the low area and drove up the ravine
            on your right. Hatch followed Dahlgren Road for several hundred yards beyond
            Frost Town Road then turned left off of the road and advanced up the hill
            through heavy woods on the left. Wish I could be there with you.

            Ron

            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 13 12:53 PM
              Stephen,
              You can also head to Zittlestown Road and the MD Park entrance, turn right and then right again, following signs for Skycroft. That road takes you down the other side of the ravine where Meade attacked and is also a way to view the field.
              And Harry, Bite me! :-)

            • jdpolaski@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 13 2:03 PM
                I have a good question for the group. Does anyone know of Signal flags being
                used at the Washington Monument? And if so what units were they and what
                communications did they send out.

              • Adam Zimmerli
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 13 3:56 PM
                  According to Edward Porter Alexander:
                  "I was riding with Gen. Lee when we came within a mile or two of the
                  fight [for Turner's Gap] & some one discovered a small party of
                  people on what seemed to be an old tower on the mountain top [the
                  Washington Monument] about a mile north of the pass. There were some
                  indications that it might be a signal party of the enemy sending
                  messages of our approach, &, itching to have some personal role in
                  a fight, I suggested to Gen. Lee that I might take a few men & go
                  recapture it. He approved & had eight men sent with me from some
                  brigade, I forget whose. I got in cover of some woods & then struck
                  up the mountain side &, after a hard, hot climb, at last got up &
                  around the tower (which seemed to have been built originally for a
                  windmill) before the party on it knew of my approach. But they were
                  plainly all natives of the vicinity attracted by the firing and up
                  there to see the battle. I was quite disgusted at the peaceful
                  character of my capture & left them after seeing that the position
                  gave no valuable view of the enemy's ground & I pushed on to the
                  front & right, towards the firing." Pages 142-143, Fighting for the
                  Confederacy.

                  According to the footnotes of the book, the tower was actually
                  effectively in ruins by 1862. If EPA didn't think it gave a good
                  view of the federals, could the same be said of the confederate army
                  moving out of Boonsboro? I wonder, since it would be something one
                  would assume he would think about.

                  Anybody know where the 8 men came from?

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 13 6:35 PM

                    That is great. Thanks.

                    Now I'll just stand back out of the way...<g>

                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 14 1:09 PM
                      It would have been more useful to the the Union thant the COnfederates, but EPA's account is the only real solid mention of it. It was uded i nthe Gettysburg by Union signalman, including Wm. J. L. Nicodemus.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 19 6:00 PM
                        Does anyone know of any writings regarding trouble citizens of Maryland
                        got into for joining Lee's army during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 19 6:08 PM
                          Stephen,

                          Not sure, but there is an interesting account of a citizen of
                          Pennsylvania who left the state to try to jine up with Lee's Army
                          during the same campaign, was captured and then when he returned home
                          to his home town under guard as a prisoner of war, it got dicey for a
                          bit.

                          Scott Mingus Sr. might be able to give you the story if you contact
                          him at scottmingus@...

                          God. --Anonymous

                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 19 6:40 PM
                            Thanks. maybe it's in his new book.

                            Stephen

                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 20 2:08 AM
                              Stephen,

                              Yes, it is.

                              God. --Anonymous

                            • colliszouave@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 17 3:55 PM
                                Besides John Hoptak's book and the work of Carman, edited and annotated by Clemens, what others are "must-haves" re: South Mountain?

                                Respectfully,

                                Mike Peters
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 17 5:51 PM
                                  Mike;

                                  Although it does have many errors in it, I would still recommend J M
                                  Priest's book "Before Antietam" as a good guide for South Mountain fighting.
                                  Also, the War College Guide to Antietam has excellent section on South
                                  Mountain, but I understand (IIRC???) it might be out of print.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 17 6:23 PM
                                    Mike
                                    You should also consider Tim Reese's book on the Battle of Crampton's Gap. It
                                    is titled Sealed With Their Lives. I don't know if you can get it new. Amazon
                                    has it here. It is out of print (I think) and a little expensive but worth your
                                    consideration.
                                    Regards
                                    Jim Rosebrock

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 17 7:38 PM
                                        Mike;

                                        You might also find the late Joseph Harsh's book "Taken at the Flood" to
                                        have much useful information as well.