Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: South Mountain

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 27, 2004
      I understand that South Mountain is in danger of being developed. True?
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 28, 2004
        South Mountain is being developed as we speak! Most damage is
        occurring at Turner's Gap where most of the land along D.H. Hill's
        left flank has been parceled out for sale. Lots are already selling
        along Dahlgren and Frosttown roads. The latter was recently repaved
        to accommodate new home builders. Fox's Gap is in better shape, but
        hopelessly entangled in a complex mosaic of public/private
        ownership, unlikely to be unraveled. Whoever came up with the idea
        of S. Mtn. State Battlefield was obviously hallucinating. It's a
        latter-day tragedy. And preservation easements, in the long run,
        won't be worth the paper they're written on, a band aid over a gash.

        Tim Reese

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 28, 2004
          Tim,

          I would say, "so sad," but that's not enough. I must say that it has never
          been a perfect place to visit, but while researching my book I was glad to
          be able to stand there and look down onto the valley floor and invision what
          Hill must have seen when he first arrived.

          The Reno and Garland monuments will remain won't they? At least give us
          that.

          Richard Croker
          > South Mountain is being developed as we speak! Most damage is
          > occurring at Turner's Gap where most of the land along D.H. Hill's
          > left flank has been parceled out for sale. Lots are already selling
          > along Dahlgren and Frosttown roads. The latter was recently repaved
          > to accommodate new home builders. Fox's Gap is in better shape, but
          > hopelessly entangled in a complex mosaic of public/private
          > ownership, unlikely to be unraveled. Whoever came up with the idea
          > of S. Mtn. State Battlefield was obviously hallucinating. It's a
          > latter-day tragedy. And preservation easements, in the long run,
          > won't be worth the paper they're written on, a band aid over a gash.
          >
          > Tim Reese

        • Rawlings, Kevin
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 28, 2004
            Richard,

            The Reno and Garland monuments art not going anywhere. The Garland monumment
            is on Central Maryland Heritage League land and the state now owns the
            Daniel Wise home site and the Appalachain Trail owns much of the right of
            way through there. Much of the land at Fox's Gap are is own by one group or
            the other or development rights have been bought up by the state. At
            Turner's Gap as Tim Reese described the Frostown Road are is under
            developement attack but the Alt 40 up the gap is protected.

            Kevin Rawlings
          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 28, 2004
              Thanks Kevin -- I feel a littel better.
              > The Reno and Garland monuments art not going anywhere. The Garland
              monumment
              > is on Central Maryland Heritage League land and the state now owns the
              > Daniel Wise home site and the Appalachain Trail owns much of the right of
              > way through there. Much of the land at Fox's Gap are is own by one group
              or
              > the other or development rights have been bought up by the state. At
              > Turner's Gap as Tim Reese described the Frostown Road are is under
              > developement attack but the Alt 40 up the gap is protected.
              >
              > Kevin Rawlings
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • tjrhys62
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 28, 2004
                Richard,

                Your South Mountain question seems to have resurrected naïve
                assumptions about cooperative, incongruent battlefield ownership,
                its purported preservation, and the likelihood of achieving any
                symbiosis toward accessible park status. Complex questions require
                far more than simple answers, given the disparate groups involved
                possessed of wholly divergent if not incompatible objectives. Pay no
                attention to that man behind the curtain.

                Instead may I direct your attention to http://cwbn.blogspot.com/ for
                insightful investigation into the matter, postings for 3/5, 3/10,
                3/12, 3/16. This is an intermittent thread which you will easily
                pick up, a welcome breath of candor.

                Also, if you seek honest definition of "South Mountain"
                battlefields, and the political chicanery at work behind the scenes,
                have a look at http://home.earthlink.net/~tjreesecg/id6.html. All is
                not as it appears.

                Having waded through all this, then see http://mlis.state.md.us/PDF-
                Documents/2000rs/bills/hb/hb1183t.pdf for the official language of
                what South Mountain "Fake" Battlefield is and is not. It's icing
                without a cake which children naturally prefer.

                While the kiddies play, the house burns. Santa can't get down this
                chimney.

                Tim

                > > The Reno and Garland monuments art not going anywhere. The
                Garland
                > monumment
                > > is on Central Maryland Heritage League land and the state now
                owns the
                > > Daniel Wise home site and the Appalachain Trail owns much of the
                right of
                > > way through there. Much of the land at Fox's Gap are is own by
                one group
                > or
                > > the other or development rights have been bought up by the
                state. At
                > > Turner's Gap as Tim Reese described the Frostown Road are is
                under
                > > developement attack but the Alt 40 up the gap is protected.
                > >
                > > Kevin Rawlings
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Rawlings, Kevin
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 28, 2004
                  Tim,

                  No one is being dishonest if you are referring to me. There is some truth to
                  what you say and I agree with you about the state, political and private
                  concerns of the South Mountain battlefields. His question about the Reno and
                  Garland monuments being moved, as far as I know, there are no plans afoot to
                  move either unless you know something I do not. Also, at this point in time
                  I am not associated with any group except Save Historic Antietam Foundation.
                  I left CMHL awhile back because of a plethora of back stabbing politics and
                  lip service in the name of battlefield preservation in the board of
                  directors' current make up. Further, I have not been terribly happy with
                  what the state has been up to(or not up to as the case may be)in the last
                  several years. I am not anyone's agent just as you are not. Just a concerned
                  civil war historian as you are.

                  Kevin Rawlings

                  Your South Mountain question seems to have resurrected naïve
                  assumptions about cooperative, incongruent battlefield ownership,
                  its purported preservation, and the likelihood of achieving any
                  symbiosis toward accessible park status. Complex questions require
                  far more than simple answers, given the disparate groups involved
                  possessed of wholly divergent if not incompatible objectives. Pay no
                  attention to that man behind the curtain.

                  Instead may I direct your attention to http://cwbn.blogspot.com/ for
                  insightful investigation into the matter, postings for 3/5, 3/10,
                  3/12, 3/16. This is an intermittent thread which you will easily
                  pick up, a welcome breath of candor.

                  Also, if you seek honest definition of "South Mountain"
                  battlefields, and the political chicanery at work behind the scenes,
                  have a look at http://home.earthlink.net/~tjreesecg/id6.html. All is
                  not as it appears.

                  Having waded through all this, then see http://mlis.state.md.us/PDF-
                  Documents/2000rs/bills/hb/hb1183t.pdf for the official language of
                  what South Mountain "Fake" Battlefield is and is not. It's icing
                  without a cake which children naturally prefer.

                  While the kiddies play, the house burns. Santa can't get down this
                  chimney.

                  Tim

                  > > The Reno and Garland monuments art not going anywhere. The
                  Garland
                  > monumment
                  > > is on Central Maryland Heritage League land and the state now
                  owns the
                  > > Daniel Wise home site and the Appalachain Trail owns much of the
                  right of
                  > > way through there. Much of the land at Fox's Gap are is own by
                  one group
                  > or
                  > > the other or development rights have been bought up by the
                  state. At
                  > > Turner's Gap as Tim Reese described the Frostown Road are is
                  under
                  > > developement attack but the Alt 40 up the gap is protected.
                  > >
                  > > Kevin Rawlings
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GmiolB/TM
                • tjrhys62
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 28, 2004
                    Hi Kevin,

                    No one is referring to you; nor is anyone questioning your motives.
                    Let's be a little less sensitive. The dishonesty I invoke is
                    inherent and deliberate to the entire mountain "preservation"
                    process, infused into its every fiber from the get-go. When it all
                    began back in the `80s only George Brigham and I gave a damn. George
                    went off the deep end; I went back to the books where I remain. The
                    next publishing installment appears in June.

                    You and I both owe Richard a bit more candor. Of course the Reno and
                    Garland monuments will stay put! The former has been there over a
                    century; the latter is little more than a headstone sunk into CMHL
                    land 250 yards from the site. How contrived. Richard of course knew
                    they would remain, posing his question in saddened rhetoric. One can
                    scarcely blame him, one who can appreciate D.H. Hill's dilemma.

                    Those of us who have been on the "inside", who have experienced
                    covert agendas, and who have been disgusted at the ensuing
                    spectacle, owe it to every person interested in these sites to tell
                    it like it was, is, and mostly likely will remain. The maxim is "qui
                    tacet consentire": silence betokens consent.

                    I don't like to admit it, but the grim truth is that the South
                    Mountain battlefield (Turner's and Fox's) is a goner. Like those
                    I've learned to detest, I could continue to pretend something
                    meaningful is afoot. But it isn't. Only egos, careers, and bank
                    accounts matter these days.

                    You have my sincere sympathy for your past efforts, much good may
                    they do you. But now isn't the time to let the bastards get away
                    with it using our good will, tax dollars, and patience. It's time we
                    all called a spade a spade in both historical and preservation
                    contexts. Go through the URLs I sited to Richard; then tell me your
                    blood doesn't boil.

                    If we don't speak out, who will? Thanks for caring as always.

                    Tim

                    --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Rawlings, Kevin"
                    <kevin.rawlings@s...> wrote:
                    > Tim,
                    >
                    > No one is being dishonest if you are referring to me. There is
                    some truth to
                    > what you say and I agree with you about the state, political and
                    private
                    > concerns of the South Mountain battlefields. His question about
                    the Reno and
                    > Garland monuments being moved, as far as I know, there are no
                    plans afoot to
                    > move either unless you know something I do not. Also, at this
                    point in time
                    > I am not associated with any group except Save Historic Antietam
                    Foundation.
                    > I left CMHL awhile back because of a plethora of back stabbing
                    politics and
                    > lip service in the name of battlefield preservation in the board of
                    > directors' current make up. Further, I have not been terribly
                    happy with
                    > what the state has been up to(or not up to as the case may be)in
                    the last
                    > several years. I am not anyone's agent just as you are not. Just a
                    concerned
                    > civil war historian as you are.
                    >
                    > Kevin Rawlings

                    Printer
                    > at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
                    > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                    > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GmiolB/TM
                  • Ronald Church
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 12, 2007
                      The name of the road is Dahlgren Road. It's about a mile long and joins
                      with Frost Town Road which connects to Mount Tabor Road which loops back
                      into and back into Alt. 40 opposite Bolivar Road. If you haven't driven the
                      loop I highly recommend it. I recommend starting at Mt. Tabor Road. The
                      last half of it heading up toward the crest will reveal some of the most
                      Godawful terrain imagineable for an attack. Imagine the boys in blue down
                      at the bottom at Frost Town Road where they assembled, having to attack up
                      the hill toward the crest. Has to be seen to be appreciated.
                      Ron Church
                      Manchester MD

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 13, 2007
                        Thanks guys. I'll head out right now.

                        Stephen

                      • rchurch@qis.net
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 13, 2007
                          Meade's forces generally fanned out across the low area and drove up the ravine
                          on your right. Hatch followed Dahlgren Road for several hundred yards beyond
                          Frost Town Road then turned left off of the road and advanced up the hill
                          through heavy woods on the left. Wish I could be there with you.

                          Ron

                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 13, 2007
                            Stephen,
                            You can also head to Zittlestown Road and the MD Park entrance, turn right and then right again, following signs for Skycroft. That road takes you down the other side of the ravine where Meade attacked and is also a way to view the field.
                            And Harry, Bite me! :-)

                          • jdpolaski@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 13, 2007
                              I have a good question for the group. Does anyone know of Signal flags being
                              used at the Washington Monument? And if so what units were they and what
                              communications did they send out.

                            • Adam Zimmerli
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 13, 2007
                                According to Edward Porter Alexander:
                                "I was riding with Gen. Lee when we came within a mile or two of the
                                fight [for Turner's Gap] & some one discovered a small party of
                                people on what seemed to be an old tower on the mountain top [the
                                Washington Monument] about a mile north of the pass. There were some
                                indications that it might be a signal party of the enemy sending
                                messages of our approach, &, itching to have some personal role in
                                a fight, I suggested to Gen. Lee that I might take a few men & go
                                recapture it. He approved & had eight men sent with me from some
                                brigade, I forget whose. I got in cover of some woods & then struck
                                up the mountain side &, after a hard, hot climb, at last got up &
                                around the tower (which seemed to have been built originally for a
                                windmill) before the party on it knew of my approach. But they were
                                plainly all natives of the vicinity attracted by the firing and up
                                there to see the battle. I was quite disgusted at the peaceful
                                character of my capture & left them after seeing that the position
                                gave no valuable view of the enemy's ground & I pushed on to the
                                front & right, towards the firing." Pages 142-143, Fighting for the
                                Confederacy.

                                According to the footnotes of the book, the tower was actually
                                effectively in ruins by 1862. If EPA didn't think it gave a good
                                view of the federals, could the same be said of the confederate army
                                moving out of Boonsboro? I wonder, since it would be something one
                                would assume he would think about.

                                Anybody know where the 8 men came from?

                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 13, 2007

                                  That is great. Thanks.

                                  Now I'll just stand back out of the way...<g>

                                  Stephen

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 14, 2007
                                    It would have been more useful to the the Union thant the COnfederates, but EPA's account is the only real solid mention of it. It was uded i nthe Gettysburg by Union signalman, including Wm. J. L. Nicodemus.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 19, 2007
                                      Does anyone know of any writings regarding trouble citizens of Maryland
                                      got into for joining Lee's army during the Maryland Campaign? Thanks.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 19, 2007
                                        Stephen,

                                        Not sure, but there is an interesting account of a citizen of
                                        Pennsylvania who left the state to try to jine up with Lee's Army
                                        during the same campaign, was captured and then when he returned home
                                        to his home town under guard as a prisoner of war, it got dicey for a
                                        bit.

                                        Scott Mingus Sr. might be able to give you the story if you contact
                                        him at scottmingus@...

                                        God. --Anonymous

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 19, 2007
                                          Thanks. maybe it's in his new book.

                                          Stephen

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 20, 2007
                                            Stephen,

                                            Yes, it is.

                                            God. --Anonymous

                                          • colliszouave@yahoo.com
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                                              Besides John Hoptak's book and the work of Carman, edited and annotated by Clemens, what others are "must-haves" re: South Mountain?

                                              Respectfully,

                                              Mike Peters
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                                                Mike;

                                                Although it does have many errors in it, I would still recommend J M
                                                Priest's book "Before Antietam" as a good guide for South Mountain fighting.
                                                Also, the War College Guide to Antietam has excellent section on South
                                                Mountain, but I understand (IIRC???) it might be out of print.

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                                                  Mike
                                                  You should also consider Tim Reese's book on the Battle of Crampton's Gap. It
                                                  is titled Sealed With Their Lives. I don't know if you can get it new. Amazon
                                                  has it here. It is out of print (I think) and a little expensive but worth your
                                                  consideration.
                                                  Regards
                                                  Jim Rosebrock

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 17, 2011
                                                      Mike;

                                                      You might also find the late Joseph Harsh's book "Taken at the Flood" to
                                                      have much useful information as well.