Re: Books in my Library

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 27 3:33 PM
      Thanks Much! Last time I missed it and want to see the gaps this
      time.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "NJ Rebel" <gerry1952@f...>

    • tjrhys62
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2004
        For Tom Shay:

        In your bibliographical listing below you cite a Crampton's Gap book
        (mine) with "occasional errors." If legitimate, it would be helpful
        to know what these are so I can address them. Please specify.

        Tim Reese

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 4/23/04 9:08:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > james2044@h... writes:
        > I have the Sears, Preist and Harsh books on the battle and
        Preist's
        > book on South Mountain. What else would the group recommend?
        Now,
        > when I'm at Antietam, where is the best place to buy it?
        > See NPS website at http://www.nps.gov/anti/ for weekend hikes.
        >
        > See http://store.yahoo.com/antietammuseum/ for Antietam bookstore.
        >
        > BLUE & GRAY MAGAZINE: the Visitor Center has copies of the issues
        focusing on
        > Antietam. Each is well worth purchasing. Subjects include West
        Woods, Crampton
        > ’s Gap, Hood’s Attack, etc.
        >
        > DISASTER IN THE WEST WOODS by Marion Vince Armstrong.
        > Fairly new tactical study limited to Sedgwick’s assault into
        West Woods. I
        > recommend it.
        >
        > The MONUMENTS AT ANTIETAM book is nice to have when looking for
        the stories
        > behind the various monuments in the park.
        >
        > The TRAILHEAD GRAPHICS map of Antietam is about $9 and a great
        reference tool.

        > The BURNSIDE’S BRIDGE book is a decent micro-study of action at
        the bridge.

        > The book on Crampton’s Gap battle (I have it but can’t recall
        title) is
        > detailed account of that battle. I recall some comments about
        having occasional
        > errors.
        >
        > Kathleen’s Ernst’s TOO AFRAID TO CRY examines the impact of
        the battle on
        > local civilians. If this interest you, this book is the perfect
        source.

        > BIVOUACS THE DEAD by Steven R. Stotelmyer
        > Great book that includes the histories & rosters of Antietam
        National
        > Cemetery, Washington Cemetery, Mt. Olivet Cemetery, and Elmwood
        Cemetery. Not a study
        > of the battle but interesting reading about post-battle burials.
        >
        > I just finished McPherson’s CROSSROADS OF FREEDOM ANTIETAM and
        found is just
        > okay and too short. It’s puts the Antietam campaign in
        perspective but
        > provides merely overview of the campaign.
        >
        > I recommend that you get the various free brochures at the VC on
        South
        > Mountain, Cornfield Trail hike, etc.
        >
        > I heard two Gettysburg guides (Gary Adelman & Tim Smith) are soon
        to release
        > an Antietam photo-study.
        >
        > No further word on Gettysburg Ranger Scott Hartwig's writing of an
        Antietam

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2004
          tjreesecg@... writes:
          In your bibliographical listing below you cite a Crampton's Gap book
          (mine) with "occasional errors." If legitimate, it would be helpful
          to know what these are so I can address them. Please specify.
          Mr. Reese, it is indeed an honor to correspond with you. It has been about 18
          months since I read your book and it may take a little time for me to locate
          the points upon which I found dispute. I recall Mark Majors helped you with
          your data about the 96th PA. Mark is a great resource on that regiment and you
          did well by utilizing his assistance. I shall try to revisit the subject as
          soon as time permits. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed your book and thought it a
          great micro-history of the actions surrounding Crampton's Gap. The only other
          resource I found useful has been the Blue & Gray issue on the battle. Hopefully I
          marked the text which I found disputable.

          My thanks for being a member of this group. Your recent comments and info
          about the South Mtn battlefield have caused me and others unexpected concern
          regarding it's future. Keep us informed as events warrant.

          Tom Shay - Cressona, PA (Schuylkill County)

        • tjrhys62
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2004
            Certainly no hurry, Tom. Thanks for responding.

            Actually all my data for the 96th PA were accrued at the National
            Archives, augmented by other period sources. I visited Mark Majors
            at Pottsville primarily to locate and photograph tombstones of Maj.
            Lewis Martin and Lt. John Dougherty, both of that regiment and CG
            fatalities, others as well. Mark also kindly showed me Colonel Henry
            Cake's presentation sword. Very fine specimen. I understand that he
            is no longer with the HSSC, this from some Pottsville folks I guided
            last fall.

            Honored to be in the group. It's among the most thought-provoking
            I've seen. Helpful to know where the best brains are wandering.
            Keeps the juices flowing.

            Hope my recent SM espose didn't appear too negative. It's difficult
            to find anything of redeeming value up on the mountain. The severe
            state budget deficit has stalled fiscal progress at SMSB. If and
            when I hear anything from Delegate Rick Weldon regarding the pending
            captal improvements plan, or re-naming of Gathland State Park, I
            will gladly pass it along via this venue. The jury is well out on
            most matters--as always.

            Any glitches you found in the first tome will be corrected if and
            when reprint occurs, just now unanticipated. The next book takes up
            where the last left off, taking CG to the campaign strategy level.
            Should raise a few eyebrows, but I fortunately have Lee and
            McClellan to back me up, bless 'em.

            My wife Jan and I will soon devote a weekend day-out to Pottsville.
            Time to get digital images of Martin and Dougherty graves, with a
            layover at the Garfield Diner of course. Maybe we'll run into each
            other. It's a neat town and a neat county. Fascinating place.

            Tim