Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Books in my Library

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 26, 2004
      Dear James,

      Simple enough. When you leave the Antietam NBP and get back on
      Maryland State Rte 65 (left out of the Antietam NBP parkig lot,
      then left at the stop sign at SR 65), go down into Sharpsburg. At
      the crossroads you will see a Mobil station on your far right and
      a Lutheran church on your immediate left. The west-east street is
      Main Street in town and becomes what once was the Boonsboro
      Turnpike out of town. Take this road into Boonsboro, and at the
      lgith in Boonsboro, make a right on Alt 40. This is the old
      National Turnpike. Go east on Alt 40... in about ten minutes or
      less you will be at Turner's Gap which is part of South Mountain.

      Hope this helps.

      I remain,
      Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
      G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
      Corporal,
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
      else we shall grow too fond of it."
      --Robert E. Lee

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 27, 2004
        Thanks Much! Last time I missed it and want to see the gaps this
        time.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "NJ Rebel" <gerry1952@f...>

      • tjrhys62
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2004
          For Tom Shay:

          In your bibliographical listing below you cite a Crampton's Gap book
          (mine) with "occasional errors." If legitimate, it would be helpful
          to know what these are so I can address them. Please specify.

          Tim Reese

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 4/23/04 9:08:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          > james2044@h... writes:
          > I have the Sears, Preist and Harsh books on the battle and
          Preist's
          > book on South Mountain. What else would the group recommend?
          Now,
          > when I'm at Antietam, where is the best place to buy it?
          > See NPS website at http://www.nps.gov/anti/ for weekend hikes.
          >
          > See http://store.yahoo.com/antietammuseum/ for Antietam bookstore.
          >
          > BLUE & GRAY MAGAZINE: the Visitor Center has copies of the issues
          focusing on
          > Antietam. Each is well worth purchasing. Subjects include West
          Woods, Crampton
          > ’s Gap, Hood’s Attack, etc.
          >
          > DISASTER IN THE WEST WOODS by Marion Vince Armstrong.
          > Fairly new tactical study limited to Sedgwick’s assault into
          West Woods. I
          > recommend it.
          >
          > The MONUMENTS AT ANTIETAM book is nice to have when looking for
          the stories
          > behind the various monuments in the park.
          >
          > The TRAILHEAD GRAPHICS map of Antietam is about $9 and a great
          reference tool.

          > The BURNSIDE’S BRIDGE book is a decent micro-study of action at
          the bridge.

          > The book on Crampton’s Gap battle (I have it but can’t recall
          title) is
          > detailed account of that battle. I recall some comments about
          having occasional
          > errors.
          >
          > Kathleen’s Ernst’s TOO AFRAID TO CRY examines the impact of
          the battle on
          > local civilians. If this interest you, this book is the perfect
          source.

          > BIVOUACS THE DEAD by Steven R. Stotelmyer
          > Great book that includes the histories & rosters of Antietam
          National
          > Cemetery, Washington Cemetery, Mt. Olivet Cemetery, and Elmwood
          Cemetery. Not a study
          > of the battle but interesting reading about post-battle burials.
          >
          > I just finished McPherson’s CROSSROADS OF FREEDOM ANTIETAM and
          found is just
          > okay and too short. It’s puts the Antietam campaign in
          perspective but
          > provides merely overview of the campaign.
          >
          > I recommend that you get the various free brochures at the VC on
          South
          > Mountain, Cornfield Trail hike, etc.
          >
          > I heard two Gettysburg guides (Gary Adelman & Tim Smith) are soon
          to release
          > an Antietam photo-study.
          >
          > No further word on Gettysburg Ranger Scott Hartwig's writing of an
          Antietam

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2004
            tjreesecg@... writes:
            In your bibliographical listing below you cite a Crampton's Gap book
            (mine) with "occasional errors." If legitimate, it would be helpful
            to know what these are so I can address them. Please specify.
            Mr. Reese, it is indeed an honor to correspond with you. It has been about 18
            months since I read your book and it may take a little time for me to locate
            the points upon which I found dispute. I recall Mark Majors helped you with
            your data about the 96th PA. Mark is a great resource on that regiment and you
            did well by utilizing his assistance. I shall try to revisit the subject as
            soon as time permits. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed your book and thought it a
            great micro-history of the actions surrounding Crampton's Gap. The only other
            resource I found useful has been the Blue & Gray issue on the battle. Hopefully I
            marked the text which I found disputable.

            My thanks for being a member of this group. Your recent comments and info
            about the South Mtn battlefield have caused me and others unexpected concern
            regarding it's future. Keep us informed as events warrant.

            Tom Shay - Cressona, PA (Schuylkill County)

          • tjrhys62
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2004
              Certainly no hurry, Tom. Thanks for responding.

              Actually all my data for the 96th PA were accrued at the National
              Archives, augmented by other period sources. I visited Mark Majors
              at Pottsville primarily to locate and photograph tombstones of Maj.
              Lewis Martin and Lt. John Dougherty, both of that regiment and CG
              fatalities, others as well. Mark also kindly showed me Colonel Henry
              Cake's presentation sword. Very fine specimen. I understand that he
              is no longer with the HSSC, this from some Pottsville folks I guided
              last fall.

              Honored to be in the group. It's among the most thought-provoking
              I've seen. Helpful to know where the best brains are wandering.
              Keeps the juices flowing.

              Hope my recent SM espose didn't appear too negative. It's difficult
              to find anything of redeeming value up on the mountain. The severe
              state budget deficit has stalled fiscal progress at SMSB. If and
              when I hear anything from Delegate Rick Weldon regarding the pending
              captal improvements plan, or re-naming of Gathland State Park, I
              will gladly pass it along via this venue. The jury is well out on
              most matters--as always.

              Any glitches you found in the first tome will be corrected if and
              when reprint occurs, just now unanticipated. The next book takes up
              where the last left off, taking CG to the campaign strategy level.
              Should raise a few eyebrows, but I fortunately have Lee and
              McClellan to back me up, bless 'em.

              My wife Jan and I will soon devote a weekend day-out to Pottsville.
              Time to get digital images of Martin and Dougherty graves, with a
              layover at the Garfield Diner of course. Maybe we'll run into each
              other. It's a neat town and a neat county. Fascinating place.

              Tim