Re: [TalkAntietam] Books in my Library

  • Brian Morris
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 23 9:21 PM
      Good book and maybe I should have paid more attention to the driving
      instructions. On my recent visit I decided to take Harpers Ferry Rd from
      Sharpsburg to Harpers Ferry. Somehow (I have no idea how) I ended up getting
      off Harpers Ferry Rd and onto a narrow winding road that went along the
      Potomac river. Rather a Beautiful drive mind you but I am very glad nobody
      was coming the other way because this was only wide enough for about one
      car. After about 5 miles of this I suddenly came to a crossroad and it was
      Harpers Ferry Rd. Like I said, no idea how I got off it in the first place.

      Brian

      > Without question, get Jay Luvaas & Harold Nelson's "US Army War College
      > Guide to the battle of Antietam". The books you list are great books
      > that overview the campaign/battle, but this book is a tour book,
      > complete with driving instructions. It includes Harper's Ferry and S
      > Mountain (with driving instructions between all 3 sites).
      >
      > TR Livesey
      > tlivesey@...
      >
      > James W. Durney wrote:
      >
      > >I have the Sears, Preist and Harsh books on the battle and Preist's
      > >book on South Mountain. What else would the group recommend? Now,
      > >when I'm at Antietam, where is the best place to buy it? I like to
      > >buy a book on the battle when I get to it.
      > >
      > >James2044
      > >

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mary Hawthorne
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 24 4:28 AM
        >From the looks of my map you will need to get to rt 67. there is a short cut
        but no rt number on the map. If you ask at the visitor's center I bet they
        have a map printed already.
        Mary
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 26 7:37 PM
          Dear James,

          Simple enough. When you leave the Antietam NBP and get back on
          Maryland State Rte 65 (left out of the Antietam NBP parkig lot,
          then left at the stop sign at SR 65), go down into Sharpsburg. At
          the crossroads you will see a Mobil station on your far right and
          a Lutheran church on your immediate left. The west-east street is
          Main Street in town and becomes what once was the Boonsboro
          Turnpike out of town. Take this road into Boonsboro, and at the
          lgith in Boonsboro, make a right on Alt 40. This is the old
          National Turnpike. Go east on Alt 40... in about ten minutes or
          less you will be at Turner's Gap which is part of South Mountain.

          Hope this helps.

          I remain,
          Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
          G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
          Corporal,
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
          else we shall grow too fond of it."
          --Robert E. Lee

          > but no rt number on the map. If you ask at the visitor's center
          I bet they
          > have a map printed already.
          > Mary

        • James W. Durney
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 27 3:33 PM
            Thanks Much! Last time I missed it and want to see the gaps this
            time.

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "NJ Rebel" <gerry1952@f...>

          • tjrhys62
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2004
              For Tom Shay:

              In your bibliographical listing below you cite a Crampton's Gap book
              (mine) with "occasional errors." If legitimate, it would be helpful
              to know what these are so I can address them. Please specify.

              Tim Reese

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, rotbaron@a... wrote:
              > In a message dated 4/23/04 9:08:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              > james2044@h... writes:
              > I have the Sears, Preist and Harsh books on the battle and
              Preist's
              > book on South Mountain. What else would the group recommend?
              Now,
              > when I'm at Antietam, where is the best place to buy it?
              > See NPS website at http://www.nps.gov/anti/ for weekend hikes.
              >
              > See http://store.yahoo.com/antietammuseum/ for Antietam bookstore.
              >
              > BLUE & GRAY MAGAZINE: the Visitor Center has copies of the issues
              focusing on
              > Antietam. Each is well worth purchasing. Subjects include West
              Woods, Crampton
              > ’s Gap, Hood’s Attack, etc.
              >
              > DISASTER IN THE WEST WOODS by Marion Vince Armstrong.
              > Fairly new tactical study limited to Sedgwick’s assault into
              West Woods. I
              > recommend it.
              >
              > The MONUMENTS AT ANTIETAM book is nice to have when looking for
              the stories
              > behind the various monuments in the park.
              >
              > The TRAILHEAD GRAPHICS map of Antietam is about $9 and a great
              reference tool.

              > The BURNSIDE’S BRIDGE book is a decent micro-study of action at
              the bridge.

              > The book on Crampton’s Gap battle (I have it but can’t recall
              title) is
              > detailed account of that battle. I recall some comments about
              having occasional
              > errors.
              >
              > Kathleen’s Ernst’s TOO AFRAID TO CRY examines the impact of
              the battle on
              > local civilians. If this interest you, this book is the perfect
              source.

              > BIVOUACS THE DEAD by Steven R. Stotelmyer
              > Great book that includes the histories & rosters of Antietam
              National
              > Cemetery, Washington Cemetery, Mt. Olivet Cemetery, and Elmwood
              Cemetery. Not a study
              > of the battle but interesting reading about post-battle burials.
              >
              > I just finished McPherson’s CROSSROADS OF FREEDOM ANTIETAM and
              found is just
              > okay and too short. It’s puts the Antietam campaign in
              perspective but
              > provides merely overview of the campaign.
              >
              > I recommend that you get the various free brochures at the VC on
              South
              > Mountain, Cornfield Trail hike, etc.
              >
              > I heard two Gettysburg guides (Gary Adelman & Tim Smith) are soon
              to release
              > an Antietam photo-study.
              >
              > No further word on Gettysburg Ranger Scott Hartwig's writing of an
              Antietam

            • rotbaron@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2004
                tjreesecg@... writes:
                In your bibliographical listing below you cite a Crampton's Gap book
                (mine) with "occasional errors." If legitimate, it would be helpful
                to know what these are so I can address them. Please specify.
                Mr. Reese, it is indeed an honor to correspond with you. It has been about 18
                months since I read your book and it may take a little time for me to locate
                the points upon which I found dispute. I recall Mark Majors helped you with
                your data about the 96th PA. Mark is a great resource on that regiment and you
                did well by utilizing his assistance. I shall try to revisit the subject as
                soon as time permits. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed your book and thought it a
                great micro-history of the actions surrounding Crampton's Gap. The only other
                resource I found useful has been the Blue & Gray issue on the battle. Hopefully I
                marked the text which I found disputable.

                My thanks for being a member of this group. Your recent comments and info
                about the South Mtn battlefield have caused me and others unexpected concern
                regarding it's future. Keep us informed as events warrant.

                Tom Shay - Cressona, PA (Schuylkill County)

              • tjrhys62
                Message 7 of 12 , May 1, 2004
                  Certainly no hurry, Tom. Thanks for responding.

                  Actually all my data for the 96th PA were accrued at the National
                  Archives, augmented by other period sources. I visited Mark Majors
                  at Pottsville primarily to locate and photograph tombstones of Maj.
                  Lewis Martin and Lt. John Dougherty, both of that regiment and CG
                  fatalities, others as well. Mark also kindly showed me Colonel Henry
                  Cake's presentation sword. Very fine specimen. I understand that he
                  is no longer with the HSSC, this from some Pottsville folks I guided
                  last fall.

                  Honored to be in the group. It's among the most thought-provoking
                  I've seen. Helpful to know where the best brains are wandering.
                  Keeps the juices flowing.

                  Hope my recent SM espose didn't appear too negative. It's difficult
                  to find anything of redeeming value up on the mountain. The severe
                  state budget deficit has stalled fiscal progress at SMSB. If and
                  when I hear anything from Delegate Rick Weldon regarding the pending
                  captal improvements plan, or re-naming of Gathland State Park, I
                  will gladly pass it along via this venue. The jury is well out on
                  most matters--as always.

                  Any glitches you found in the first tome will be corrected if and
                  when reprint occurs, just now unanticipated. The next book takes up
                  where the last left off, taking CG to the campaign strategy level.
                  Should raise a few eyebrows, but I fortunately have Lee and
                  McClellan to back me up, bless 'em.

                  My wife Jan and I will soon devote a weekend day-out to Pottsville.
                  Time to get digital images of Martin and Dougherty graves, with a
                  layover at the Garfield Diner of course. Maybe we'll run into each
                  other. It's a neat town and a neat county. Fascinating place.

                  Tim