Books in my Library

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 23, 2004
      I have the Sears, Preist and Harsh books on the battle and Preist's
      book on South Mountain. What else would the group recommend? Now,
      when I'm at Antietam, where is the best place to buy it? I like to
      buy a book on the battle when I get to it.

      James2044
    • James W. Durney
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 23, 2004
        Another question how do I get from Antietam to South Mountain?
        I expect to be there in late June.

        James2044
      • Brian Morris
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 23, 2004
          Pretty much the gift shop at the Visitors Center is your best choice most
          likely in Sharpsburg. However if you're planning on a side trip to Harpers
          Ferry (Highly recommended) then the bookstore there is much larger with a
          better selection.

          Brian

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 23, 2004
            In a message dated 4/23/04 9:08:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            james2044@... writes:
            I have the Sears, Preist and Harsh books on the battle and Preist's
            book on South Mountain. What else would the group recommend? Now,
            when I'm at Antietam, where is the best place to buy it?
            See NPS website at http://www.nps.gov/anti/ for weekend hikes.

            See http://store.yahoo.com/antietammuseum/ for Antietam bookstore.

            BLUE & GRAY MAGAZINE: the Visitor Center has copies of the issues focusing on
            Antietam. Each is well worth purchasing. Subjects include West Woods, Crampton
            ’s Gap, Hood’s Attack, etc.

            DISASTER IN THE WEST WOODS by Marion Vince Armstrong.
            Fairly new tactical study limited to Sedgwick’s assault into West Woods. I
            recommend it.

            The MONUMENTS AT ANTIETAM book is nice to have when looking for the stories
            behind the various monuments in the park.

            The TRAILHEAD GRAPHICS map of Antietam is about $9 and a great reference tool.

            The BURNSIDE’S BRIDGE book is a decent micro-study of action at the bridge.

            The book on Crampton’s Gap battle (I have it but can’t recall title) is
            detailed account of that battle. I recall some comments about having occasional
            errors.

            Kathleen’s Ernst’s TOO AFRAID TO CRY examines the impact of the battle on
            local civilians. If this interest you, this book is the perfect source.

            BIVOUACS THE DEAD by Steven R. Stotelmyer
            Great book that includes the histories & rosters of Antietam National
            Cemetery, Washington Cemetery, Mt. Olivet Cemetery, and Elmwood Cemetery. Not a study
            of the battle but interesting reading about post-battle burials.

            I just finished McPherson’s CROSSROADS OF FREEDOM ANTIETAM and found is just
            okay and too short. It’s puts the Antietam campaign in perspective but
            provides merely overview of the campaign.

            I recommend that you get the various free brochures at the VC on South
            Mountain, Cornfield Trail hike, etc.

            I heard two Gettysburg guides (Gary Adelman & Tim Smith) are soon to release
            an Antietam photo-study.

            No further word on Gettysburg Ranger Scott Hartwig's writing of an Antietam
            book..

            Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

          • T.R. Livesey
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 23, 2004
              Without question, get Jay Luvaas & Harold Nelson's "US Army War College
              Guide to the battle of Antietam". The books you list are great books
              that overview the campaign/battle, but this book is a tour book,
              complete with driving instructions. It includes Harper's Ferry and S
              Mountain (with driving instructions between all 3 sites).

              TR Livesey
              tlivesey@...

              James W. Durney wrote:

              >I have the Sears, Preist and Harsh books on the battle and Preist's
              >book on South Mountain. What else would the group recommend? Now,
              >when I'm at Antietam, where is the best place to buy it? I like to
              >buy a book on the battle when I get to it.
              >
              >James2044
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Brian Morris
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 23, 2004
                Good book and maybe I should have paid more attention to the driving
                instructions. On my recent visit I decided to take Harpers Ferry Rd from
                Sharpsburg to Harpers Ferry. Somehow (I have no idea how) I ended up getting
                off Harpers Ferry Rd and onto a narrow winding road that went along the
                Potomac river. Rather a Beautiful drive mind you but I am very glad nobody
                was coming the other way because this was only wide enough for about one
                car. After about 5 miles of this I suddenly came to a crossroad and it was
                Harpers Ferry Rd. Like I said, no idea how I got off it in the first place.

                Brian

                > Without question, get Jay Luvaas & Harold Nelson's "US Army War College
                > Guide to the battle of Antietam". The books you list are great books
                > that overview the campaign/battle, but this book is a tour book,
                > complete with driving instructions. It includes Harper's Ferry and S
                > Mountain (with driving instructions between all 3 sites).
                >
                > TR Livesey
                > tlivesey@...
                >
                > James W. Durney wrote:
                >
                > >I have the Sears, Preist and Harsh books on the battle and Preist's
                > >book on South Mountain. What else would the group recommend? Now,
                > >when I'm at Antietam, where is the best place to buy it? I like to
                > >buy a book on the battle when I get to it.
                > >
                > >James2044
                > >

                > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Mary Hawthorne
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 24, 2004
                  >From the looks of my map you will need to get to rt 67. there is a short cut
                  but no rt number on the map. If you ask at the visitor's center I bet they
                  have a map printed already.
                  Mary

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 26, 2004
                    Dear James,

                    Simple enough. When you leave the Antietam NBP and get back on
                    Maryland State Rte 65 (left out of the Antietam NBP parkig lot,
                    then left at the stop sign at SR 65), go down into Sharpsburg. At
                    the crossroads you will see a Mobil station on your far right and
                    a Lutheran church on your immediate left. The west-east street is
                    Main Street in town and becomes what once was the Boonsboro
                    Turnpike out of town. Take this road into Boonsboro, and at the
                    lgith in Boonsboro, make a right on Alt 40. This is the old
                    National Turnpike. Go east on Alt 40... in about ten minutes or
                    less you will be at Turner's Gap which is part of South Mountain.

                    Hope this helps.

                    I remain,
                    Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
                    G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
                    Corporal,
                    Confederate Signal Corps,
                    Longstreet's Corps

                    "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
                    else we shall grow too fond of it."
                    --Robert E. Lee

                    > but no rt number on the map. If you ask at the visitor's center
                    I bet they
                    > have a map printed already.
                    > Mary

                  • James W. Durney
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 27, 2004
                      Thanks Much! Last time I missed it and want to see the gaps this
                      time.

                      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "NJ Rebel" <gerry1952@f...>

                    • tjrhys62
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 1, 2004
                        For Tom Shay:

                        In your bibliographical listing below you cite a Crampton's Gap book
                        (mine) with "occasional errors." If legitimate, it would be helpful
                        to know what these are so I can address them. Please specify.

                        Tim Reese

                      • rotbaron@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 1, 2004
                          tjreesecg@... writes:
                          In your bibliographical listing below you cite a Crampton's Gap book
                          (mine) with "occasional errors." If legitimate, it would be helpful
                          to know what these are so I can address them. Please specify.
                          Mr. Reese, it is indeed an honor to correspond with you. It has been about 18
                          months since I read your book and it may take a little time for me to locate
                          the points upon which I found dispute. I recall Mark Majors helped you with
                          your data about the 96th PA. Mark is a great resource on that regiment and you
                          did well by utilizing his assistance. I shall try to revisit the subject as
                          soon as time permits. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed your book and thought it a
                          great micro-history of the actions surrounding Crampton's Gap. The only other
                          resource I found useful has been the Blue & Gray issue on the battle. Hopefully I
                          marked the text which I found disputable.

                          My thanks for being a member of this group. Your recent comments and info
                          about the South Mtn battlefield have caused me and others unexpected concern
                          regarding it's future. Keep us informed as events warrant.

                          Tom Shay - Cressona, PA (Schuylkill County)

                        • tjrhys62
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 1, 2004
                            Certainly no hurry, Tom. Thanks for responding.

                            Actually all my data for the 96th PA were accrued at the National
                            Archives, augmented by other period sources. I visited Mark Majors
                            at Pottsville primarily to locate and photograph tombstones of Maj.
                            Lewis Martin and Lt. John Dougherty, both of that regiment and CG
                            fatalities, others as well. Mark also kindly showed me Colonel Henry
                            Cake's presentation sword. Very fine specimen. I understand that he
                            is no longer with the HSSC, this from some Pottsville folks I guided
                            last fall.

                            Honored to be in the group. It's among the most thought-provoking
                            I've seen. Helpful to know where the best brains are wandering.
                            Keeps the juices flowing.

                            Hope my recent SM espose didn't appear too negative. It's difficult
                            to find anything of redeeming value up on the mountain. The severe
                            state budget deficit has stalled fiscal progress at SMSB. If and
                            when I hear anything from Delegate Rick Weldon regarding the pending
                            captal improvements plan, or re-naming of Gathland State Park, I
                            will gladly pass it along via this venue. The jury is well out on
                            most matters--as always.

                            Any glitches you found in the first tome will be corrected if and
                            when reprint occurs, just now unanticipated. The next book takes up
                            where the last left off, taking CG to the campaign strategy level.
                            Should raise a few eyebrows, but I fortunately have Lee and
                            McClellan to back me up, bless 'em.

                            My wife Jan and I will soon devote a weekend day-out to Pottsville.
                            Time to get digital images of Martin and Dougherty graves, with a
                            layover at the Garfield Diner of course. Maybe we'll run into each
                            other. It's a neat town and a neat county. Fascinating place.

                            Tim