Confederate Cavalry at Sharpsburg

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2004
      Hi Folks,

      I wish I knew more about Cavalry operations on the Maryland Campaign ...

      I'm doing some more map work, translating parts of Carman/Cope for the
      web (http://aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=main). Just now, I'm looking
      at the vicinity of the West Woods as Sedgwick's Division hit about
      9:30 am on the 17th. I have Confederate cavalry positions generally
      indicated on and near Hauser's Ridge, but not identified by unit.

      I'd like to assume these are all of Fitz Lee's Brigade, as Hampton
      reports he arrived at Sharpsburg sometime during the day on the 17th,
      and I'm pretty sure Robinsons's (Munford) Brigade was at the far,
      southern end of the field near Antietam Creek.

      Does anybody out there have more specific documenation on this? Gen
      Stuart's report is very vague, and I don't have one from Fitz Lee.
      I'm trying to get to the Regiment level for the horsemen, and by
      battery for the artillery accompanying, if possible. I'd like to at
      least confirm the Brigade!

      Anyone?

      Thanks in advance,
      Brian
    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2004
        It's Robertson's Brigade, under Munford, of course, not Robinson.

        BD