Re: was burnside at fault for antietam???

  • james2044
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 31, 2004
      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "david lutton" <dunkerch@c...>
      wrote:
      > True, Antietam was a huge Political victory for the north and can
      I believe
      > be argued to be the major turning point of the war.

      IMO, the victories at Antietam & Perryville were the "turning point"
      of the war. Never again was the CSA able to mount two invisions and
      England never came closer to intervention.

      Jmaes2044
    • james2044
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 31, 2004
        wrote:
        > The political "windfall " made from this perceived victory by some
        very
        > astute politicians including Lincoln was simply putting on the
        best face on
        > its results. I don't think many at the time considered it a great
        victory.

        > Mac's primary concern should have been the defeat of the rebel
        army in the
        > field. I simply feel that with the advantages given him during the
        > campaign, a more decisive military outcome could have been
        reasonably
        > expected..

        First all battles are political events and victory or defeat is
        often "perceived".
        Second, the AoNV was unable to continue the invasion of Maryland and
        forced back into Virginia. This was not Lee's plan so I think we
        can say that the was defeated. In which case Mac did complete
        his "primary concern" and defeate the AoNV.
        "More decisive military outcome", as has been pointed out, just
        wasn't a reasonable expectation, not after the Seven Days or after
        Gettysburg. Many people, then and now, had very high expectations
        of the result of a battle and never seemed to get them full filled.

        James2044
      • justin_heinzen10
        Message 3 of 22 , May 3, 2004
          good points everyone and thanks for the input. i was looking for
          information on a broader level that contrasts getting sucked in by
          some schools of writing.