Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: was burnside at fault for antietam???

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 30 7:41 PM
      I think that at the moment Mc was handed 191, it was a "reasonable
      expectation" that he might destroy the ANV in detail. Longstreet then
      Jackson. Or at least Longstreet (depending on how Jack responded). 120,000
      men to 40,000 men = "reasonable expectation." But remember this...Many
      argue that it wasn't McClellan's plan to destroy the ANV -- it was his plan
      (according to some and believed by Lincoln) to fight the entire war to a
      draw and force a political resolution (leaving slavery intact -- at least
      for the moment). I don't necessarily adhere to this accusation, but
      "actions speak louder..." My personal belief is that Mc feared defeat more
      than he wanted victory. That's all. That's enough to give any man "the
      slows."

      Richard Croker
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 30 10:29 PM
        And exactly how would SO191 allow Mac to 'destroy' the ANV? By the time
        Mac got the order, it was already out of date; the operation should have
        wrapped
        up around the 12th. Mac had reason to believe that Harper's Ferry had
        not fallen,
        so obviously reality had deviated from the plan. So what good was knowing an
        out of date plan? As it was, the plan did not place Jackson in HF, nor
        Hill on
        South Mountain.

        Anyway, it is not reasonable that the AoP could have taken out Longstreet
        and Jackson. Unless they both sat still (not something the ANV had a
        reputation for), Mac would have had to divide his own force to go after
        both of them. The only wing of Lee's army that was in real danger was
        McLaws, who was quite isolated an somewhat trapped on Maryland Heights;
        all the other wings had mountains and/or rivers to screen their movements.

        If any 'blame' were to be assigned, I'd say Franklin's Corps missed the 1
        really big opportunity in forcing Crampton's Gap, trapping McLaws and
        breaking up Lee's whole campaign. This would not, however, had
        led to the 'destruction' of the ANV.

        There is no evidence that Lincoln believed that Mac had anterior designs.
        Lincoln certainly believed in the need to squelch any appearance that
        such designs would be tolerated, hence the prosecution of Major John Key.
        Later in the war, Lincoln even jested about the possibility of a General
        taking matters in his own hands in his letter appointing Hooker to
        AoP command; this was not something Lincoln expressed great
        concern over.

        As for the belief Mac feared defeat more than wanting victory, I agree
        in general but it depends on how you define victory and defeat. The
        Union could afford a battle in which Lee was sent scurrying back
        south but not destroyed; it could not afford another 2nd Manassas.
        Lee needed the big victory, so taking the big gamble made sense;
        the South could not win a conservatively fought war. Mac had no
        such needs. If the South could be ground down on each battle,
        northern victory would eventually take root. Given the shock
        of 2nd Manassas and the invasion by Lee's army, a cautious
        approach was warranted. If Mac's overall objective was to
        eject Lee and seriously wound him, while suffering no catastrophe
        of his own, then he was 'victorious'.

        General comment about one ACW army destroying another: it wasn't
        going to happen. ACW armies were too blunt and awkward instruments
        to inflict a 'kill' on the enemy. Numerous opportunities presented
        themselves:
        Mac's retreat across Lee's front at the Seven days, Chancellorsville,
        Chickamauga, etc. Not until close to the end of the war, when
        Confederate resources were seriously worn down, did any army
        really annihilate another. There was always an river to escape across, a
        bold
        last stand, limited daylight, bad weather and other factors that held
        off destruction. It was just not reasonable for 1 army to beat and
        surround or entrap the other in such a way to prevent escape.

        Regards,
        TR Livesey
        tlivesey@...

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 31 7:08 AM
          Good comments TR! It's good to see someone refrain from the McClellan
          bashing that we all find so fun and easy. I just got an e-mail from someone
          who has just read "To Make Men Free" and who says I was "too kind" to Little
          Mac. I disagree, but nobody goes to work PLANNING to do a bad job -- even
          McClellan. Nobody considers HIMSELF incompetant -- even McClellan (with the
          possible exception of Burnside who knew full well he was incompetant).
          Nonetheless -- if we feel we must BLAME someone for the results (or lack of
          results) at Antietam, we can't stray too far from the Young Napoleon. I
          took just a few arguments out of the bag, and it's still half full.
          Can we talk about something else now?
          VERY respectfully,
          Richard Croker
> [...]
          >

          > richard@... wrote:
          >
          > >I think that at the moment Mc was handed 191, it was a "reasonable
          > >expectation" that he might destroy the ANV in detail. Longstreet then
          > >Jackson. Or at least Longstreet (depending on how Jack responded).
          120,000
          > >men to 40,000 men = "reasonable expectation." But remember this...Many
          > >argue that it wasn't McClellan's plan to destroy the ANV -- it was his
          plan
          > >(according to some and believed by Lincoln) to fight the entire war to a
          > >draw and force a political resolution (leaving slavery intact -- at least
          > >for the moment). I don't necessarily adhere to this accusation, but
          > >"actions speak louder..." My personal belief is that Mc feared defeat
          more
          > >than he wanted victory. That's all. That's enough to give any man "the

        • david lutton
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 31 4:41 PM
            The political "windfall " made from this perceived victory by some very
            astute politicians including Lincoln was simply putting on the best face on
            its results. I don't think many at the time considered it a great victory.

            Mac's primary concern should have been the defeat of the rebel army in the
            field. I simply feel that with the advantages given him during the
            campaign, a more decisive military outcome could have been reasonably
            expected..

            I believe that Mac's military background, if he choose the army as a career,
            pointed to a career as a most competent staff officer. He simply was not a
            great field commander. I recall a "staff ride" given by Dr. Jay Luvaas
            several years ago at Antietam at which time he stated that Mac seemed to
            lack the "killer" instinct that could send men to their deaths. A quality
            that men like Jackson, Lee and Sherman seemed to possess in abundance.
            Perhaps he cared too much,... a luxury a field commander cannot afford.

            David Lutton
            Hollidaysburg Pa

          • james2044
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 31 5:02 PM
              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "david lutton" <dunkerch@c...>
              wrote:
              > True, Antietam was a huge Political victory for the north and can
              I believe
              > be argued to be the major turning point of the war.

              IMO, the victories at Antietam & Perryville were the "turning point"
              of the war. Never again was the CSA able to mount two invisions and
              England never came closer to intervention.

              Jmaes2044
            • james2044
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 31 5:05 PM
                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, <richard@r...> wrote:
                > I think that at the moment Mc was handed 191, it was a "reasonable
                > expectation" that he might destroy the ANV in detail.

                Joseph L. Harsh does an excellent job of covering this idea
                in "Taken at the Flood". Pick up a copy, what he says just might
                cause you to rethink some of this.

                James2044
              • james2044
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 31 5:20 PM
                  wrote:
                  > The political "windfall " made from this perceived victory by some
                  very
                  > astute politicians including Lincoln was simply putting on the
                  best face on
                  > its results. I don't think many at the time considered it a great
                  victory.

                  > Mac's primary concern should have been the defeat of the rebel
                  army in the
                  > field. I simply feel that with the advantages given him during the
                  > campaign, a more decisive military outcome could have been
                  reasonably
                  > expected..

                  First all battles are political events and victory or defeat is
                  often "perceived".
                  Second, the AoNV was unable to continue the invasion of Maryland and
                  forced back into Virginia. This was not Lee's plan so I think we
                  can say that the was defeated. In which case Mac did complete
                  his "primary concern" and defeate the AoNV.
                  "More decisive military outcome", as has been pointed out, just
                  wasn't a reasonable expectation, not after the Seven Days or after
                  Gettysburg. Many people, then and now, had very high expectations
                  of the result of a battle and never seemed to get them full filled.

                  James2044
                • justin_heinzen10
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 3, 2004
                    good points everyone and thanks for the input. i was looking for
                    information on a broader level that contrasts getting sucked in by
                    some schools of writing.