Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: was burnside at fault for antietam???

  • david lutton
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 30 4:21 PM
      True, Antietam was a huge Political victory for the north and can I believe
      be argued to be the major turning point of the war.
      However from a military standpoint, I think Mac was found wanting in this
      battle for a variety of reasons. I agree with the assessment made about him
      by a railroad exc. during the campaign of '64. I think it went something
      like this, " Mac built great bridges for our railroad, he was however a
      little hesitant about sending over the first train!" If my memory servce
      me correctly this paraphase came from Long's book on the campaign of 64,
      Jewel of Liberty.

      Glad to see a little life in the group lately!!!

      David Lutton
      Hollidaysburg Pa
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 30 7:33 PM
        I fully agree that the Federal army could have accomplished more, that a
        more decisive victory might have been won...this is true of just about
        any battle. The question is: what is a reasonable expectation?
        If Antietam was a huge political victory for the north, what reasonable
        additional outcome eluded Mac/Burnside?

        TR Livesey
        tlivesey@...

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 30 7:41 PM
          I think that at the moment Mc was handed 191, it was a "reasonable
          expectation" that he might destroy the ANV in detail. Longstreet then
          Jackson. Or at least Longstreet (depending on how Jack responded). 120,000
          men to 40,000 men = "reasonable expectation." But remember this...Many
          argue that it wasn't McClellan's plan to destroy the ANV -- it was his plan
          (according to some and believed by Lincoln) to fight the entire war to a
          draw and force a political resolution (leaving slavery intact -- at least
          for the moment). I don't necessarily adhere to this accusation, but
          "actions speak louder..." My personal belief is that Mc feared defeat more
          than he wanted victory. That's all. That's enough to give any man "the
          slows."

          Richard Croker
          > I fully agree that the Federal army could have accomplished more, that a
          > more decisive victory might have been won...this is true of just about
          > any battle. The question is: what is a reasonable expectation?
          > If Antietam was a huge political victory for the north, what reasonable
          > additional outcome eluded Mac/Burnside?
          >
          > TR Livesey
          > tlivesey@...
          >
          > david lutton wrote:
          >
          > >True, Antietam was a huge Political victory for the north and can I
          believe
          > >be argued to be the major turning point of the war.
          > >However from a military standpoint, I think Mac was found wanting in this
          > >battle for a variety of reasons. I agree with the assessment made about
          him
          > >by a railroad exc. during the campaign of '64. I think it went something
          > >like this, " Mac built great bridges for our railroad, he was however a
          > >little hesitant about sending over the first train!" If my memory
          servce
          > >me correctly this paraphase came from Long's book on the campaign of 64,
          > >Jewel of Liberty.
          > >
          > >Glad to see a little life in the group lately!!!
          > >
          > >David Lutton
          > >Hollidaysburg Pa

        • T.R. Livesey
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 30 10:29 PM
            And exactly how would SO191 allow Mac to 'destroy' the ANV? By the time
            Mac got the order, it was already out of date; the operation should have
            wrapped
            up around the 12th. Mac had reason to believe that Harper's Ferry had
            not fallen,
            so obviously reality had deviated from the plan. So what good was knowing an
            out of date plan? As it was, the plan did not place Jackson in HF, nor
            Hill on
            South Mountain.

            Anyway, it is not reasonable that the AoP could have taken out Longstreet
            and Jackson. Unless they both sat still (not something the ANV had a
            reputation for), Mac would have had to divide his own force to go after
            both of them. The only wing of Lee's army that was in real danger was
            McLaws, who was quite isolated an somewhat trapped on Maryland Heights;
            all the other wings had mountains and/or rivers to screen their movements.

            If any 'blame' were to be assigned, I'd say Franklin's Corps missed the 1
            really big opportunity in forcing Crampton's Gap, trapping McLaws and
            breaking up Lee's whole campaign. This would not, however, had
            led to the 'destruction' of the ANV.

            There is no evidence that Lincoln believed that Mac had anterior designs.
            Lincoln certainly believed in the need to squelch any appearance that
            such designs would be tolerated, hence the prosecution of Major John Key.
            Later in the war, Lincoln even jested about the possibility of a General
            taking matters in his own hands in his letter appointing Hooker to
            AoP command; this was not something Lincoln expressed great
            concern over.

            As for the belief Mac feared defeat more than wanting victory, I agree
            in general but it depends on how you define victory and defeat. The
            Union could afford a battle in which Lee was sent scurrying back
            south but not destroyed; it could not afford another 2nd Manassas.
            Lee needed the big victory, so taking the big gamble made sense;
            the South could not win a conservatively fought war. Mac had no
            such needs. If the South could be ground down on each battle,
            northern victory would eventually take root. Given the shock
            of 2nd Manassas and the invasion by Lee's army, a cautious
            approach was warranted. If Mac's overall objective was to
            eject Lee and seriously wound him, while suffering no catastrophe
            of his own, then he was 'victorious'.

            General comment about one ACW army destroying another: it wasn't
            going to happen. ACW armies were too blunt and awkward instruments
            to inflict a 'kill' on the enemy. Numerous opportunities presented
            themselves:
            Mac's retreat across Lee's front at the Seven days, Chancellorsville,
            Chickamauga, etc. Not until close to the end of the war, when
            Confederate resources were seriously worn down, did any army
            really annihilate another. There was always an river to escape across, a
            bold
            last stand, limited daylight, bad weather and other factors that held
            off destruction. It was just not reasonable for 1 army to beat and
            surround or entrap the other in such a way to prevent escape.

            Regards,
            TR Livesey
            tlivesey@...

          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 31 7:08 AM
              Good comments TR! It's good to see someone refrain from the McClellan
              bashing that we all find so fun and easy. I just got an e-mail from someone
              who has just read "To Make Men Free" and who says I was "too kind" to Little
              Mac. I disagree, but nobody goes to work PLANNING to do a bad job -- even
              McClellan. Nobody considers HIMSELF incompetant -- even McClellan (with the
              possible exception of Burnside who knew full well he was incompetant).
              Nonetheless -- if we feel we must BLAME someone for the results (or lack of
              results) at Antietam, we can't stray too far from the Young Napoleon. I
              took just a few arguments out of the bag, and it's still half full.
              Can we talk about something else now?
              VERY respectfully,
              Richard Croker
> [...]
              >

              > richard@... wrote:
              >
              > >I think that at the moment Mc was handed 191, it was a "reasonable
              > >expectation" that he might destroy the ANV in detail. Longstreet then
              > >Jackson. Or at least Longstreet (depending on how Jack responded).
              120,000
              > >men to 40,000 men = "reasonable expectation." But remember this...Many
              > >argue that it wasn't McClellan's plan to destroy the ANV -- it was his
              plan
              > >(according to some and believed by Lincoln) to fight the entire war to a
              > >draw and force a political resolution (leaving slavery intact -- at least
              > >for the moment). I don't necessarily adhere to this accusation, but
              > >"actions speak louder..." My personal belief is that Mc feared defeat
              more
              > >than he wanted victory. That's all. That's enough to give any man "the

            • david lutton
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 31 4:41 PM
                The political "windfall " made from this perceived victory by some very
                astute politicians including Lincoln was simply putting on the best face on
                its results. I don't think many at the time considered it a great victory.

                Mac's primary concern should have been the defeat of the rebel army in the
                field. I simply feel that with the advantages given him during the
                campaign, a more decisive military outcome could have been reasonably
                expected..

                I believe that Mac's military background, if he choose the army as a career,
                pointed to a career as a most competent staff officer. He simply was not a
                great field commander. I recall a "staff ride" given by Dr. Jay Luvaas
                several years ago at Antietam at which time he stated that Mac seemed to
                lack the "killer" instinct that could send men to their deaths. A quality
                that men like Jackson, Lee and Sherman seemed to possess in abundance.
                Perhaps he cared too much,... a luxury a field commander cannot afford.

                David Lutton
                Hollidaysburg Pa
                . Message -----

                > I fully agree that the Federal army could have accomplished more, that a
                > more decisive victory might have been won...this is true of just about
                > any battle. The question is: what is a reasonable expectation?
                > If Antietam was a huge political victory for the north, what reasonable
                > additional outcome eluded Mac/Burnside?
                >
                > TR Livesey
                > tlivesey@...
                >
                > david lutton wrote:
                >
                > >True, Antietam was a huge Political victory for the north and can I
                believe
                > >be argued to be the major turning point of the war.
                > >However from a military standpoint, I think Mac was found wanting in this
                > >battle for a variety of reasons. I agree with the assessment made about
                him
                > >by a railroad exc. during the campaign of '64. I think it went something
                > >like this, " Mac built great bridges for our railroad, he was however a
                > >little hesitant about sending over the first train!" If my memory
                servce
                > >me correctly this paraphase came from Long's book on the campaign of 64,
                > >Jewel of Liberty.
                > >
                > >Glad to see a little life in the group lately!!!
                > >
                > >David Lutton
                > >Hollidaysburg Pa

              • james2044
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 31 5:02 PM
                  --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "david lutton" <dunkerch@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > True, Antietam was a huge Political victory for the north and can
                  I believe
                  > be argued to be the major turning point of the war.

                  IMO, the victories at Antietam & Perryville were the "turning point"
                  of the war. Never again was the CSA able to mount two invisions and
                  England never came closer to intervention.

                  Jmaes2044
                • james2044
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 31 5:05 PM
                    --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, <richard@r...> wrote:
                    > I think that at the moment Mc was handed 191, it was a "reasonable
                    > expectation" that he might destroy the ANV in detail.

                    Joseph L. Harsh does an excellent job of covering this idea
                    in "Taken at the Flood". Pick up a copy, what he says just might
                    cause you to rethink some of this.

                    James2044
                  • james2044
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 31 5:20 PM
                      wrote:
                      > The political "windfall " made from this perceived victory by some
                      very
                      > astute politicians including Lincoln was simply putting on the
                      best face on
                      > its results. I don't think many at the time considered it a great
                      victory.

                      > Mac's primary concern should have been the defeat of the rebel
                      army in the
                      > field. I simply feel that with the advantages given him during the
                      > campaign, a more decisive military outcome could have been
                      reasonably
                      > expected..

                      First all battles are political events and victory or defeat is
                      often "perceived".
                      Second, the AoNV was unable to continue the invasion of Maryland and
                      forced back into Virginia. This was not Lee's plan so I think we
                      can say that the was defeated. In which case Mac did complete
                      his "primary concern" and defeate the AoNV.
                      "More decisive military outcome", as has been pointed out, just
                      wasn't a reasonable expectation, not after the Seven Days or after
                      Gettysburg. Many people, then and now, had very high expectations
                      of the result of a battle and never seemed to get them full filled.

                      James2044
                    • justin_heinzen10
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 3, 2004
                        good points everyone and thanks for the input. i was looking for
                        information on a broader level that contrasts getting sucked in by
                        some schools of writing.