Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Bill of Rights

Expand Messages
  • Ray Ortensie
    We the sensible people of the United States, in an attempt to help everyone get along, restore some semblance of justice, avoid any more riots, keep our nation
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 25, 2001
      We the sensible people of the United States, in an attempt to help everyone
      get along,
      restore some semblance of justice, avoid any more
      riots, keep our nation safe, promote
      positive behavior and secure the blessings of debt
      free liberty to ourselves and our
      great great-great grandchildren, hereby try one more
      time to ordain and establish some
      common sense guidelines for the terminally whiny,
      guilt ridden, delusional, and other
      liberal bedwetters.

      We hold these truths to be self-evident: That a whole
      lot of people were confused by
      the Bill of Rights and are so dim that they require a
      Bill of No Rights.

      ARTICLE I -- You do not have the right to a new
      car, big screen TV or any form
      of wealth.

      More power to you if you can legally acquire
      them, but no one is
      guaranteeing anything.

      ARTICLE II -- You do not have the right to never
      be offended.

      This country is based on freedom, and that
      means the freedom for
      everyone, not just you! You may leave the
      room, turn the channel, express
      a different opinion, etc., but the world is
      full of idiots and probably always
      will be.

      ARTICLE III -- You do not have the right to be
      free from harm.

      If you stick a screwdriver in your eye,
      learn to be more careful. Do not
      expect the tool manufacturer to make you and
      all your relatives
      independently wealthy.

      ARTICLE IV -- You do not have the right to free
      food and housing.

      Americans are the most charitable people to
      be found, and will gladly help
      anyone in need but we are quickly growing
      weary of subsidizing generations
      of professional couch potatoes who achieve
      nothing more than the creation
      of another generation of professional couch

      ARTICLE V -- You do not have the right to free
      health care.

      That would be nice but, from the looks of
      public housing, we're just not
      interested in government run health care.

      ARTICLE VI -- You do not have the right to
      physically harm other people.

      If you kidnap, rape, intentionally maim or
      kill someone, don't be surprised if
      the rest of us want to see you fry in the
      electric chair.

      ARTICLE VII -- You do not have the right to the
      possessions of others.

      If you rob, cheat or coerce away the goods
      or services of other citizens,
      don't be surprised if the rest of us get
      together and lock you away in a
      place where you still won't have the right
      to a big screen TV or a life of

      ARTICLE VIII -- You don't have the right to
      demand that our children risk their
      lives in foreign wars to soothe your aching

      We hate oppressive governments and won't
      lift a finger to stop you from
      going to fight, if you'd like. However, we
      do not enjoy parenting the entire
      world and do not want to spend so much of
      our time battling each and
      every little tyrant with a military uniform
      and a funny hat.

      ARTICLE IX -- You don't have the right to a job.

      All of us sure want all of you to have one,
      and will gladly help you in hard
      times, but we expect you to take advantage
      of the opportunities of
      education and vocational training laid
      before you to make yourself useful.

      ARTICLE X -- You do not have the right to

      Being an American means that you have the
      right to pursue happiness --
      which by the way, is a lot easier if you are
      unencumbered by an over
      abundance of idiotic laws created by those
      of you who were confused by
      the Bill of Rights.
    • Brian Downey
      ... everyone ... word search Antietam count = 0 concept search Antietam, Battle of count = 0 Howdy campers, Over the last few weeks, I
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 25, 2001
        --- In TalkAntietam@y..., "Ray Ortensie" <photoray@p...> wrote:
        > We the sensible people of the United States, in an attempt to help
        > get along...


        word search "Antietam"
        count = 0

        concept search "Antietam, Battle of"
        count = 0


        Howdy campers,

        Over the last few weeks, I have been reading the New York Tribune for
        the week of/after the battle. I've printed great huge pages from
        microfilm to approx original size, and immersed myself.

        If you have as little experience with period newspapers as I
        have/had, you'd be amazed at what passed for journalism in 1862. For
        all sorts of reasons, the picture 'painted' by the paper is miles from
        most of the facts as we know them today. Many wild stories and
        rumors reported without much editing or analysis.

        Since I've enjoyed reading them so much, I have been itching for an
        excuse to transcribe some of the most interesting bits to share. This
        seems like a good time to do it. So unless anyone knows of an
        existing Web source for the text of the Tribune (save me the
        trouble?), I'll see what I can get typed and posted to the group over
        the next few days.

        Anybody but me interested?

      • hjs21@aol.com
        In a message dated 4/25/01 2:38:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ... Sounds good to me, Brian. Harry
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 25, 2001
          In a message dated 4/25/01 2:38:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          brdowney@... writes:

          Anybody but me interested?

          Sounds good to me, Brian.

        • Brian Downey
          Greetings Group, I ve begun to transcribe the Trib. I find it ll take a while at my miserable typing speed, so I ll post parts as I complete them. The Tribune
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 26, 2001
            Greetings Group,

            I've begun to transcribe the Trib. I find it'll take a while at my
            miserable typing speed, so I'll post parts as I complete them. The
            Tribune was printed on large sheets, I'd guess about the size of the
            modern Washington Post, for example, with fairly fine print in 6
            columns. Almost no pictures appear in the editions for which I have
            copies - just a few crude maps.

            Some of the grammar is interesting, and spelling errors do appear. I
            have not attempted to correct either in transcription. Any material
            not actually on the printed page is given in square brackets [ ].
            There is a small chance that I have introduced errors while typing,
            too. Caveat Emptor.

            BTW, in the future I plan to get copies of other newspapers for
            comparison ... I'll bet these events played a little differently in

            I've begun with the Wednesday, September 17, 1862 edition. Keep in
            mind that in 1862 it could be days before news of an event trickled
            back to a reporter, or from a reported to the news room. In this
            case, that means the Sept 17 edition is only just getting details
            about the events of Sunday and Monday the 14th and 15th.

            Without further ado, Column 1 of the Front Page follows, remaining
            columns and later editions will come in separate posts as I complete


            The New York Daily Tribune.
            Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694.
            NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862.
            PRICE TWO CENTS.

            [Front Page, First Column]

            THE WAR FOR THE UNION.
            5,000 Prisoners Made by the Rebels.
            Good News from the Upper Potomac.
            The Whole Rebel Army Engaged.
            Reported Stampede of the Rebels
            Out of Maryland.
            Additional Details of the Battle of
            South Mountain.

            Special Dispatch to the N. Y. Tribune.
            WASHINGTON, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

            The confirmation of the good news from the Upper Potomac to-night,
            for which the city as anxiously awaited all day, gives great
            satisfaction, which is only dashed by the intelligence that Col. Miles
            was forced to surrender Harper's Ferry.
            If the Rebels have, as the latest unofficial accounts state, been
            driven fairly across the Potomac, and obliged to evacuate even
            Harper's Ferry, they are in a condition in which a little energy,
            another week of pursuit, may deal them blows from which they can
            never recover. What we want at this moment is cavalry to pursue,
            attack, and destroy.
            Your leader to-day hits this nail on the head, but hits it too late.
            The Rebels have, as has often been shown in Stuart's Cavalry,
            excellent material both for raids upon our lines, when they choose to
            take the offensive, and for a rear guard to cover their retreating
            columns when it is necessary to act on the defensive. We shall
            probably suffer in this case as we have more than once heretofore
            from the want of this most efficient arm of the service. That green
            cavalry is better than none, if the men know how to ride, is shown by
            the excellent performance of the Twelfth Illinois in cutting its way
            out of Harper's Ferry, a regiment which has just entered service.
            It is hoped and believed that the victory which has been won will be
            A Quartermaster of an Ohio regiment who arrived this evening left
            Jefferson, halfway between Frederick and Harper's Ferry, this
            forenoon. He says the report is current at Jefferson that the Rebels
            were crossing the Potomac with their whole force at Harper's Ferry
            and Sheppardstown, Longstreet fording at the latter place.
            The Secessionists at Jefferson believed and boastfully declared that
            the combined army was marching on Washington. So foolishly confident
            is "my Maryland."
            The following dispatch, giving an account of operations at Harper's
            Ferry, was received today from our correspondent stationed there:
            On Thursday night last our pickets were driven in at Sandy Hook, and
            skirmishing commenced at Solomon's Gap, about six miles from Harper's
            Ferry, on the range of which Maryland Heights forms the termination
            opposite this place. The design of the enemy was to obtain obsession
            of Maryland Heights as the key to the position. Reenforcements were
            sent to Col. Ford, commanding the forces on the Hights.
            On Friday there was brisk skirmishing and fighting all along the
            range. Light guns were sent up, and the Rebels, having cut a new
            road, also got light artillery up. The fighting resulted rather
            favorably to the Rebels. Further re-enforcements were sent up, and
            orders given to hold the place to the last.
            On Saturday, Capt. McGrath, commanding the battery on the Heights,
            succeeded in effectually shelling the Rebels back from their
            No little surprise was, therefore, manifested at seeing our troops
            evacuate the position by order of Col. Ford, the guns being spiked.
            So important was this position deemed that offers off volunteers were
            made to retake the position by the Colonel Commanding the First
            Brigade. This offer was refused by the Colonel Commanding.
            Gen. White, who had arrived from Martinsburg with his troops, waived
            the right to command in favor of Col. Miles.
            The Rebels having gained possession of the Heights commenced planting
            batteries on Loudon Heights, where their signals could plainly be
            seen. Capt. Graham, commanding batteries on Camp Hill just above
            the town, commenced shelling the signals and succeeded in driving them
            away. The enemy gave no further signs of life than the signals.
            Sunday opened with shelling from all the batteries upon Loudon
            Heights. About two o'clock the Rebels opened from Loudon Heights
            with four guns. They had a perfect range of the whole line of
            intrenchments on Bolivar Heights. Soon after a battery opened from
            Maryland heights on the very top, which also threw shells clear over
            our position on Bolivar Heights. The Rebels were seen coming up in
            force on the left, and soon a battery opened from near the Halltown
            road. This battery was occupied in shelling the woods.
            The Rebels were next seen approaching along front and extending
            toward the right. Our troops were thrown forward to receive them,
            when another battery opened in front, also commanding our position
            Their success was now apparent, for from their position they could
            shell our troops both in front and rear.
            On Sunday night quite the fight took place on our left, where the
            Rebels tried to turn our flanks, but were handsomely repulsed by the
            32nd Ohio with considerable loss on both sides.
            Monday settled the fate of Harper's Ferry. During Sunday night the
            Rebels had planted other batteries on Loudon Heights, also in front,
            and on a knoll near the right, across the Potomac, completely
            enfilading the whole encampment, and making it a slaughter pen.
            Opening fire, they rained shells upon the position, and it was
            apparent it was no longer tenable, and a great sacrifice must occur
            if fighting continued. Our officers could not think of giving up, and
            firing continued until their long range ammunition was exhausted,
            when the white flag

            [continued in Column 2]
          • Brian Downey
            The New York Daily Tribune. Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694. NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862. PRICE TWO CENTS. [Front Page, Second Column] [from Col 1: ...
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 26, 2001
              The New York Daily Tribune.
              Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694.
              NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862.
              PRICE TWO CENTS.

              [Front Page, Second Column]

              [from Col 1: ... when the white flag] was reluctantly displayed.
              While flying, Col. Miles was mortally wounded by a shell, and others
              killed. The terms of capitulation were arranged by Gen. White and
              Gen. Hill. All our troops were paroled. Gens. Jackson, Hill, and
              Branch, commanded the Rebels.
              The first account of Col. Miles' surrender was telegraphed by the
              operator at Point of Rocks last night, upon the authority of
              stragglers who had come in, and was confirmed by the operator at
              Chambersburg with additional particulars. The 12th Illinois Cavalry,
              Col. Vose, which had reached Chambersburg yesterday in safety, had cut
              its way though the beleaguering force of the enemy, and succeeded in
              reaching and crossing the river to Williamsport. On the way to
              Chambersburg they captured Gen. Longstreet's ammunition train, 60
              wagons and 70 prisoners.
              The fact that Col. Miles sent this valuable part of his command, a
              regiment 1,500 strong, outside of his fortifications, at a time when
              comparatively no fighting had been done, leads to the belief that he
              expected to be obliged to surrender, as his message to Gen. McClellan
              intimated that he should do yesterday morning, unless sooner relieved.
              The infantry, including the command of Gen. Julius White, which
              joined Col. Miles from Martinsburg on Saturday, was all taken dead or
              alive. The number of prisoners is not much more than 5,000, most of
              them belonging to the new regiments. The cavalry, which succeeded in
              making its escape, suffered very little.
              Valuable guns also fell into the hands of the enemy - how many of
              which they carried away with them is unknown. They could not have
              removed the 9-inch Dahlgrens, with which, manned by seamen, Gen.
              Saxton kept Gen. Jackson at bay in his last raid up the river. Col.
              Miles is reported to have been mortally wounded.


              To the Associated Press.
              WASHINGTON, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

              Harper's Ferry was surrendered to the Rebels at 10 o'clock yesterday,
              after Col. Miles had been severely, if not fatally, wounded. The
              officers and men, supposed to be about 8,000 strong, were paroled.

              BALTIMORE, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

              The following is from a special to The American from Frederick:
              The combined forces of Loring and Jackson stormed the works at
              Harper's Ferry yesterday morning, and captured the position. Col.
              Miles is said to have made a desperate resistance. Accounts differ;
              some say he was wounded after he raised the white flag.
              Other accounts state that he was killed or mortally wounded before the
              surrender. All our forces were parolled, numbering 6,000, some of
              whom have arrived at Frederick. When the parolled men left, the enemy
              was preparing to blow up the three spans of the new bridge.
              Reports were circulated in Frederick to-day thatMcClellan had retaken
              Harper's Ferry, but they were not deemed reliable.

              FREDERICK, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

              I regret to have to announce the surrender of Harper's Ferry, with all
              the forces and stores there, to the enemy at 9 o'clock Monday morning.
              Enlisted men, and some officers, have been paroled and arrived here.
              From them I get the following particulars:
              The Rebels commenced the attack on Friday noon on our forces on
              Maryland Heights, skirmishing continued throughout the day and was
              renewed on Saturday.
              The enemy was driven back with considerable loss. They came up
              several times and were repulsed, when it was discovered they were
              approaching in overwhelming force.. Order was given to spike the
              guns, and throw them down the mountain. The whole force from the
              hights then returned in safety, the guns from Camp Hill shelling the
              enemy when they attempted to pursue our retreating men.
              On Sunday morning a party of our men again ascended the Hights and
              brought away their field piece, which they had left unspiked.
              On Sunday at noon the Rebels appeared in great force on Loudon
              Heights. Miles shelled them from point to point. Some of their guns
              were dislodged, but they still managed to keep up a brisk fire from
              some of their batteries, which were run back out of sight and loaded.
              The cannonading was kept up all day on Sunday, without doing much
              damage. The firing ceased at dusk on Sunday evening, and was resumed
              again on Monday morning at daylight, and kept up till 9 o'clock, when
              Miles ordered the white flag to be raised.
              There was considerable fog and smoke, and the enemy either did not see
              the flag or would not see it, and kept up a heavy fire for ten minutes
              after the flag was raised. A shell struck Col. Miles shattering his
              right leg. It was amputated before the prisoners were parolled.
              There were about 2,300 cavalry in the command, all of whom but about
              40 escaped about 8 o'clock Sunday night, and cut their way through to
              Greencastle, with but little loss. The balance of the troops,
              numbering from 6,000 to 8,000, with Gen. White's command from
              Martinsburg, were all surrendered.
              Gen. Howe captured an aid of Gen. Stuart on Monday afternoon, who was
              making his way from Harper's Ferry to Boonesboro' with a dispatch from
              Gen Jackson to Gen. Lee, announcing the capitulation of the place.
              The aid supposed that Lee was at Boonesboro', which was in our
              possession. This the first intimation of the surrender that our
              Generals received.
              At this time, Gen. Franklin was within three hours march of the Ferry,
              going to the relief of the beleaguered command, wither he had been
              sent by Gen. McClellan so soon as he received the dispatch from Col.
              Miles, on Monday evening, that he was in danger.

              BALTIMORE, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

              Passengers from Monocacy report seeing paroled prisoners from Harper's
              Ferry, who report the surrender of Harper's Ferry on Monday morning,
              after a most determined defense and the death of Col. Miles, who was
              killed by a shell cutting off one of his legs. According to these
              reports, Col. Miles evacuated Maryland Hights on Saturday evening,
              after exploding one of his heavy guns and throwing others down the
              The officers were allowed to go out with their side-arms and horses,
              and the men with their personal effects, which indicated that the
              surrender was conditional.
              The railroad bridge and Potomac bridge were still standing, and the
              Rebels were reported to be evacuating the Maryland Hights.


              Further Regarding Sunday's Battle - Intel-
              ligence from Harper's Ferry.

              From Our Own Correspondent.
              BALTIMORE, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

              I have gained some further particulars this morning of the battle of
              Middletown Hights, fought on

              [continued in Column 3]
            • Brian Downey
              The New York Daily Tribune. Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694. NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862. PRICE TWO CENTS. [Front Page, Third Column] [from Col 2: ... the
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 27, 2001
                The New York Daily Tribune.
                Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694.
                NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862.
                PRICE TWO CENTS.

                [Front Page, Third Column]

                [from Col 2: ... the battle of Middletown Hights, fought on] Sunday.
                McClellan's army was marching out of Frederick by four o'clock on
                Sunday morning. The men had been called at three, and received a
                breakfast of coffee and two pieces of bread each, which was all they
                had to eat till ten o'clock at night. They were too eager to meet the
                foe, however, to feel the pangs of hunger - after they had met him
                they were too busy driving him up and over the mountain to care to
                Early in the forenoon, the rear guard of the enemy was discovered, and
                an artillery duel continued to about 3 o'clock in the afternoon, when
                the main body of the Rebels made a stand in a position of great
                strength on Middletown Hights, at a point commanding the Hagerstown
                road, and completely disputing our further progress after their
                retreating columns. Hitherto, artillery had ruled the day. The enemy
                was in a vastly superior position to shell our advance. Our troops
                had been so well handled that the losses were exceedingly light. At 3
                o'clock musketry began to play an important part in the engagement,
                our infantry advancing to within eight or nine rods of the enemy's
                lines before they opened fire.
                For two hours the fighting is said to have been the most savage yet
                known in the course of the war. All the time, however, the enemy were
                being slowly crowded back up the hill and into the gap. At 5 o'clock
                a general order to charge was given, and then occurred the fearful
                rush I spoke of in my last night's letter, the enemy running like
                sheep, piling the ground down the other side of the mountain with
                their dead. It was stern and cruel work with the blood-dripping
                bayonet, and the shrieking grape and canister found ready victims in
                the flying mass who hurried away from the death that followed after.
                It was a complete rout, no doubt of it.
                We are apt to hear of Gen. Hooker where there is fighting. He lead
                our right in the recent battle, Burnside the center, and Franklin the
                left. These several generals pushed on their men rapidly, following
                up every advantage, and allowing the enemy no opportunity to collect
                himself where he was shaken. This constant pressure turned what was
                for hours an orderly retreat into a disgraceful rout before sundown.
                In this battle, for perhaps the first time recently, the enemy were
                A messenger got through from Harper's Ferry on Sunday, with the
                intelligence that Col. Miles had been driven from the Maryland
                Heights, after destroying his guns, and was closely besieged by
                Stonewall Jackson. He had, however, been joined by Gen. White, and
                had been able up to the hour the messenger left to prevent the Rebels
                from placing any guns in position on the Maryland shore. Perhaps the
                army that moved up the Virginia side last Thursday may arrive in time
                to relieve Col. Miles, and to assist in preventing the Rebels from
                crossing at Williamsport.
                The remains of Gen. Reno lie at the establishment of Mr. John H.
                Weaver on Fayette Street, where they will undergo the process of
                embalming, which will occupy several days. They have been visited by
                many citizens, anxious to gaze at the hero of so many fights. He fell
                bravely, and his death was by no means in vain.




                PHILADELPHIA, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

                A special dispatch to The Bulletin from Harrisburg says:
                "Telegraphic and railroad communications to Hagerstown was reopened
                last night, showing that place has been totally abandoned by the
                Rebels and re-occupied by our troops.
                "It is rumored at Hagerstown that another battle is going on this
                morning between Sharpsburg and Middleburg, but no particulars have
                been receivied.
                "Sharpsburg in near the Potomac, about 10 miles west of Middletown.
                "It is not unlikely that Gen. McClellan is engaging the Rebels in that
                neighborhood to-day, and disputing their passage of the river.
                "A hundred and eight prisoners, captured along with Gen. Longstreet's
                baggage-train by the cavalry that cut their way through from Harper's
                Ferry, arrived here this morning, and fifty more have reached

                HARRISBURG, Monday, Sept. 15, 1862. - 6 p.m.

                Dispatches received from Hagerstown say Gen. McClellan came up with
                the rear of the Rebel army at Sharpsburg, and that a battle is now in

                HARRISBURG, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

                A dispatch just received at headquarters says Jackson has recrossed
                the Potomac, and Gen. McClellan has engaged him with tremendous force
                this side of Sharpsburg, and ten miles from that place.
                The whole Rebel army in Maryland will be annihilated or captured this
                night. No Rebels can be found about Hagerstown and Williamsport, and
                none two miles on the other side of the Potomac.


                The Battle of South Mountain

                BOONESBOROUGH,Md., Monday, Sept. 15, 1862.

                The battle of South Mountain was fought yesterday, resulting in
                complete victory to the Army of the Potomac. The battle-field was
                located in a gorge of the mountain, on the turnpike road, between
                Middletown and Boonseborough. During the forenoon the firing was by
                artillery, endeavoring to ascertain the Rebel strength and position.
                About 12 o'clock the corps under Gen. Reno was ordered to ascend the
                mountain on the left, and make an attack upon the enemy's flank.
                At 3 o'clock, Gen. Reno's troops got into action. The rattle of
                musketry for about half an hour was terrible, when the enemy gave way,
                leaving our men in possession of the ridge. The loss on both sides in
                this action was considerable. We had not a General or field officer
                injured at this point, excepting Major-Gen. Reno, who was killed, a
                Minie ball passing through his body.
                Gen. Hooker, commanding McDowell's corps and the Pennsylvania
                Reserves, ascended the mountain on the right, for the purpose of
                making an attack on the Rebels' left. He got his troops into
                position, and moved on the enemy about two hours before sundown.
                Here, as in the case on the other side of the mountain, our troops
                were successful, driving the enemy before them with great slaughter.
                The Rebels suffered her more than at any point of the battle-field.
                Gen. Hatch, commanding a division under Gen. Hooker, was wounded in
                the leg.
                Gen. Gibbon's brigade, composed of the 2nd, 6th, and 7th Wisconsin,
                and the 19thh Indiana Regiments, were ordered to move up the gorge of
                the mountain. This brigade did not get into action till after dark,
                but fought till nearly 9 o'clock. This brigade lost about 120 men
                killed and wounded. Among the dead is Capt. Cauldwell of the 2nd
                Wisconsin. The Rebels were driven back for about a mile, when
                Gibbon's brigade was relieved by a portion of Sumner's corps, wahoo
                held the position during the night.
                The Rebel troops engaged were Longstreet's, D.

                [continued in Column 4]
              • Brian Downey
                The New York Daily Tribune. Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694. NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862. PRICE TWO CENTS. [Front Page, Fourth Column] [from Col 3: ...
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 27, 2001
                  The New York Daily Tribune.
                  Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694.
                  NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862.
                  PRICE TWO CENTS.

                  [Front Page, Fourth Column]

                  [from Col 3: ... The Rebel troops engaged were Longstreet's, D.] H.
                  Hill's and A. P. Hill's corps. Had our troops had two hours longer of
                  daylight the greater portion of the Rebel army would have been taken
                  prisoner, as they were surrounded on three sides, the only mode of
                  escaping being a narrow defile in the mountain, which the artillery
                  would soon have made impassable.
                  Among the Rebel officers known to be killed were Gen. Garland of
                  Leesburg, and Col. Strong of the 19th Virginia. The latter's body was
                  obtained to-day by flag of truce.
                  At daylight this morning our worst fears were realized. The Rebels,
                  under cover of night, had left on their way to the Potomac.
                  They went to this place, two miles from the mountains, and there took
                  the road toward Sharpsburg. They left all their dead on the field,
                  and those of the wounded not able to walk were found in the churches
                  of Boonesboro'.
                  Gen. McClellan was on the field during the whole day and night,
                  conducting all movements in person.
                  Between 1,200 and 1,500 prisoners were taken during the day, most of
                  them by troops under Gen. Hooker. Yesterday, Gen. Franklin's corps
                  advanced to a mountain pass six miles nearer Harper's Ferry, where he
                  engaged the enemy, holding the pass for about three hours, resulting
                  in a complete rout of the enemy and heavy loss. Our loss in the action
                  was about 250 killed and wounded. The Rebel loss during the day and
                  night was fully 15,000, killed, wounded, and missing. Gen. Lee
                  acknowledged to the citizens of Boonesboro' that they had been
                  defeated with terrible loss. Our loss in killed and wounded will
                  probably reach 3,000. We lost but few prisoners.

                  LATER - MORE FIGHTING ON MONDAY.

                  BOONESBORO',Md., Monday, Sept. 15, 1862.

                  This morning at daylight Gen. Pleasonton, with the 8th Illinois
                  Cavalry and Capt. Fitchall's Battery, started after the enemy. At
                  Boonesboro' he came up with the 9th Virginia Cavalry, with a battery
                  acting as rear guard.
                  The Illinois Cavalry charged after them through the town and two
                  miles out on the Hagerstown turnpike, capturing two of their guns, and
                  killed and wounded and took prisoner about thirty of the cavalry.
                  Gen. Richardson's Division being in advance, took the road from this
                  place toward Sharpsburg, two and a half miles from which twon he came
                  up with the enemy in large force, who occupied a long ridge of hills.
                  They showed a line of battle one mile and a half long.
                  The afternoon was spent in ascertaining the position and force of the
                  Rebels, not a sufficient number of our troops having come up to bring
                  on an engagement.

                  Tuesday Morning, Sept. 16, 1862.

                  During last night the larger part of the army arrived on the ground.
                  It is now 9 o'clock, and no engagement has taken place. The Rebels
                  are rapidly moving across the river.

                  HARRISBURG, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

                  The prisoners, 100 in number, captured yesterday by the New-York and
                  Illinois Cavalry, and sent to Chambersburg, were this morning brought
                  to this city and sent to Camp Curtin. Claggett Fithugh, a resident of
                  the vicinity of Chambersburg, was among the number. He has been
                  furnishing information to the enemy since their raid into Maryland.
                  The dead body of Gen. Garland was found concealed in one of the
                  wagons captured by the same party of cavalry, between Hagerstown and
                  The wire to Hagerstown is again in good working order.


                  Later from the Front.

                  FREDERICK, Md., Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

                  The following is to The Baltimore American:
                  The intelligence from the front this morning is of the most cheering
                  character. Notwithstanding the bad news from Harper's Ferry, Gen
                  McClellan was pursuing them with a vigor most destructive to the
                  McClellan pursued the enemy on Monday morning with his reserves and a
                  large body of fresh troops. The enemy took road the toward the river
                  at Harper's Ferry and at Sheppardstown, and he was pursuing them and
                  shelling their retreat with great loss. In several contests Monday
                  where they made a stand, our troops charged on them with such vigor
                  that they fell back from point to point in great haste. The battles
                  and advantages obtained on Monday are thought to be superior in
                  importance than that of Sunday.
                  Drayton's South Carolina brigade is entirely gone - either killed,
                  wounded, or prisoners. The 17th Michigan, a new regiment, "done up"
                  this brigade, first with bullets, finally with bayonets.
                  Howell Cobb was wounded and taken prisoner, and will be back in
                  Frederick sooner than he boasted he would.
                  Gen. McClellan was pushing on them last evening, however, very close,
                  and had already sent to the rear 8,000 prisoners and four batteries.
                  Col. Stroge of the 19th Virginia and Col. James of the 3d South
                  Carolina were killed on Sunday last. Their bodies were left in our
                  The South Carolina Brigade was severely handled.




                  The Fighting at Charleston - The Rebels
                  Severely Handled - The Destruction of
                  the Village - Orderly Retreat of Col.

                  GALLIPOLIS, Monday, Sept. 15, 1862.

                  No particulars of the Charleston fight have been received. All
                  reports, however, agree that the Rebels were severely handled, and
                  repulsed with great loss. Col. Lightburn gave the citizens an hour's
                  notice to leave the town before the place was destroyed. Lightburn's
                  forces marched through the place in perfect order, taking the Ripley
                  road, going toward Ravenswood, on the Ohio River, where they arrived
                  this evening, bringing his baggage train through in safety. Steamers
                  have been sent to his assistance. The 47th Ohio, 9th Virginia, and 2d
                  Virginia Cavalry, who were cut off at Summerville, succeeded in
                  joining Lightburn, and were in the Charleston fight.
                  This place is full of refugee contrabands, who came down the Kanawha
                  in boats, most of whom are in a destitute condition. There are 500
                  sick and wounded soldiers here, sent from Charleston before the fight.
                  The enemy is supposed to be moving slowly down the Kanawha.


                  Guerrillas Routed

                  QUINCY, Ill., Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

                  Col. McNeil had a two hours' fight with Porter's gang of guerrillas,
                  near Shelburne, yesterday, resulting in the complete rout of the
                  latter, with the loss of 2 killed and a number wounded. Col. McNeil
                  captured 20 wagons and a number of horses and guns.
                • Teej Smith
                  Brian Downey wrote: ... Brian, I ve done quite a lot of work with the Richmond papers of that period. And you re right about how the accounts differed.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 29, 2001
                    Brian Downey wrote:

                    > BTW, in the future I plan to get copies of other newspapers for
                    > comparison ... I'll bet these events played a little differently in
                    > Richmond!


                    I've done quite a lot of work with the Richmond papers of that period.
                    And you're right about how the accounts differed. If the piece
                    originated with the Richmond paper and the battle was a success, it was
                    a sound beating with the "enemy" being driven back towards Washington.
                    If it was less than a success the story was still printed but with words
                    like "temporary setback" included or "the numbers of the enemy proved to
                    be too great, still the men of (plug in whichever unit that was
                    engaged)engaged the enemy with boldness and gallantry."
                    One thing that surprised me was entire dispatches and orders were often
                    printed within a day or so of the battle. One other thing I found very
                    interesting was the Richmond papers would often print the same story as
                    it appeared in the Washington Star side by side of their own account.

                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.