Re: [TalkAntietam] Question about Hood and the march to Boonsboro on September 14th

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2004
      > Gang,
      >

      > I have oft read the account of the meeting between General Lee and General
      > Hood where the latter had his arrest suspended and returned to command of
      > his division, which included the famed Texas Brigade.
      >

      > My question is this: Who effectively commanded the division on the march
      > as long as General Hood was under arrest and before General Lee restored
      > him to command on the urging of the Texans as they marched through
      > Boonsboro on the way to Fox's Gap on September 14th?
      >

      > Thank all for this important clarification; I need this piece of material
      > for my book.
      >

      > I remain,
      >
      > Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
      >
      > G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
      >
      > Confederate Signal Corps, Longstreet's Corps
      >

      > "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
      >
      > else we shall grow too fond of it."
      >
      > --Robert E. Lee
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      GOT IT!!!!!!!!! And (of course) I was wrong. Following is an e-mail from
      Ed Raus, historian at the Manassas NBP..
      Sir

      Apparently N. G. Evans took command of the Division until Sept. 14 when
      Hood was restored to command. See discussion of this issue in Joseph L.
      Harsh, Sounding the Shallows, Kent State Press, pg. 57. Apparently Evans
      outranked Hood. Hope this helps.

      Ed Raus
    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8, 2004
        Evans held the center line at the Boonsboro Turnpike just down from the
        present National Cemetery overlooking the Middle Bridge and held the
        Regulars at bay. Antietam was Evans last hurrah with the ANV. He was one of
        the many officers to be replaced when Lee cleaned house in the late fall of
        62 and ultimately made the ANV in his own image, figuratively speaking. See
        Bob Krick's essay on just this subject in the first book of essays on the
        Maryland Campaign.

        Kevin Rawlings
      • Rawlings, Kevin
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2004
          That would be Gary Gallagher's first collection of essays on the Maryland
          Campaign published by the Kansas University Press.

          Kevin