Question about Hood and the march to Boonsboro on September 14th

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7 5:31 PM
      Gang,

      I have oft read the account of the meeting between General Lee and General Hood where the latter had his arrest suspended and returned to command of his division, which included the famed Texas Brigade.

      My question is this: Who effectively commanded the division on the march as long as General Hood was under arrest and before General Lee restored him to command on the urging of the Texans as they marched through Boonsboro on the way to Fox's Gap on September 14th?

      Thank all for this important clarification; I need this piece of material for my book.

      I remain,
      Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
      G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
      Confederate Signal Corps, Longstreet's Corps

      "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
      else we shall grow too fond of it."
      --Robert E. Lee
    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8 9:12 AM
        > Gang,
        >

        > I have oft read the account of the meeting between General Lee and General
        > Hood where the latter had his arrest suspended and returned to command of
        > his division, which included the famed Texas Brigade.
        >

        > My question is this: Who effectively commanded the division on the march
        > as long as General Hood was under arrest and before General Lee restored
        > him to command on the urging of the Texans as they marched through
        > Boonsboro on the way to Fox's Gap on September 14th?
        >

        > Thank all for this important clarification; I need this piece of material
        > for my book.
        >

        > I remain,
        >
        > Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
        >
        > G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
        >
        > Confederate Signal Corps, Longstreet's Corps
        >

        > "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
        >
        > else we shall grow too fond of it."
        >
        > --Robert E. Lee
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Gerry --

        I know this won't help -- but it is hopefully not my "final answer" --
        however I have narrowed it down to a probability of either Col. William T.
        Wofford or Col. Evander McIver Law. I collected several books on the
        Maryland Campaign while writing my book, but none specifically answers
        your question. I've made some phone calls and will let you know if
        anybody comes through for me. Sometimes we just have to resign ourselves
        to the fact that some questions just don't have answers.....

        Richard Croker
      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8 9:23 AM
          > Gang,
          >

          > I have oft read the account of the meeting between General Lee and General
          > Hood where the latter had his arrest suspended and returned to command of
          > his division, which included the famed Texas Brigade.
          >

          > My question is this: Who effectively commanded the division on the march
          > as long as General Hood was under arrest and before General Lee restored
          > him to command on the urging of the Texans as they marched through
          > Boonsboro on the way to Fox's Gap on September 14th?
          >

          > Thank all for this important clarification; I need this piece of material
          > for my book.
          >

          > I remain,
          >
          > Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
          >
          > G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
          >
          > Confederate Signal Corps, Longstreet's Corps
          >

          > "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
          >
          > else we shall grow too fond of it."
          >
          > --Robert E. Lee
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          GOT IT!!!!!!!!! And (of course) I was wrong. Following is an e-mail from
          Ed Raus, historian at the Manassas NBP..
          Sir

          Apparently N. G. Evans took command of the Division until Sept. 14 when
          Hood was restored to command. See discussion of this issue in Joseph L.
          Harsh, Sounding the Shallows, Kent State Press, pg. 57. Apparently Evans
          outranked Hood. Hope this helps.

          Ed Raus
        • Rawlings, Kevin
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8 10:04 AM
            Evans held the center line at the Boonsboro Turnpike just down from the
            present National Cemetery overlooking the Middle Bridge and held the
            Regulars at bay. Antietam was Evans last hurrah with the ANV. He was one of
            the many officers to be replaced when Lee cleaned house in the late fall of
            62 and ultimately made the ANV in his own image, figuratively speaking. See
            Bob Krick's essay on just this subject in the first book of essays on the
            Maryland Campaign.

            Kevin Rawlings
          • Rawlings, Kevin
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 8 10:08 AM
              That would be Gary Gallagher's first collection of essays on the Maryland
              Campaign published by the Kansas University Press.

              Kevin