RE: Jackson, D.H. Hill, and Longstreet Who's posting here?

  • Teej Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2001
      Brian Downey wrote:

      <Snip>

      > That said, I encourage more people to post items for discussion.
      > That's why the group is here. It has been rather too quiet, but
      > please try to stay on track - Antietam - okay?

      OK, lets see if we can get the ball rolling with this one. Came across
      an interesting reference the other day that concerns Jackson, his
      brother in law, D.H. Hill and indirectly Pete Longstreet. Most sources
      agree that Jackson was all in favor of Lee's dividing the army in order
      to invest Harper's Ferry. However D.H. Hill related in a letter he wrote
      to one of Jackson's staff members in 1864 that in Dec. of 1862 Jackson
      told Hill "At the council held at Frederick I opposed the separation of
      our forces in order to capture Harper's Ferry. I urged that we should
      all be kept together." Which would seemingly indicate that at least on
      this occasion Stonewall was in agreement with Pete. And if this is so
      that Lee flew in the face of the advice from both his corps commanders.
      Thoughts?

      Regards,
      Teej
    • hjs21@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 27, 2001
        In a message dated 5/27/01 9:36:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        teej@... writes:

        Most sources agree that Jackson was all in favor of Lee's dividing the army
        in order
        to invest Harper's Ferry.

        Very few of these sources are first hand.  Interestingly, one of the only
        first hand sources that show this is that of Longstreet himself.  Now, either
        Pete recalled it correctly, recalled it incorrectly, or, as he asserts he was
        against the move, and felt it was a mistake, perhaps he said Jackson was in
        agreement to cast an aspersion.  Hmmmm......

        Harry