RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: No Sharpsburg festival?

  • Rawlings, Kevin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004

      And we'll look forward to seeing you. My porch is always open for you all to
      set a spell.

      Kevin
    • Mary A. Stevanus
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
        Kevin,

        I agree with much of what you say. The Festival has gotten very far
        from what it was, but it's failure is "not an option". I live in
        town, and I hope this is a wake-up call for the current organizers
        that some serious changes need to be made to save it. The Sharpsburg
        Historical Society is looking into ways we can help out, so don't be
        surprised if you get a call!

        PS (I don't call it a craft fair. I call it a junk fair! Without a
        juried show you will never get real artists to set up shop.

        Mary Stevanus

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Rawlings, Kevin"
        <kevin.rawlings@s...> wrote:
        > Richard & Tom
        >
        > I was the one who started the Union and Confederate troops meeting
        in the
        > center of town and organizing the regimental bands of both sides
        into having
        > a battle of the bands. Also had the churches ring the bells at Noon
        > signal the start of the festival. While I was on the committee I
        planned and
        > over saw the culmination of a preservation walk Robert Lee Hodge
        organized
        > that finished marching into town from their historic routes into
        Sharpsburg
        > and meeting in the town square. I got the overnight camping
        locations, did
        > the firewood, water, and porta-johns. Tom Clemens helped me as some
        of the
        > money raised went to SHAF. Got avery nice Keith Rocco print as a
        thanks from
        > the march organizers. Very few people know of what I did, but there
        have
        > been some pretenders to the event in recent years making claims
        these things
        > were their brainchilds. They have never had a hand in what I
        started. These
        > were the days when the Lion's Club ran the event. Then the politics
        got out
        > of hand during the event when we had the greatest attendence of
        Living