RE: [TalkAntietam] No Sharpsburg festival? (long)

  • Rawlings, Kevin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
      Richard & Tom

      I was the one who started the Union and Confederate troops meeting in the
      center of town and organizing the regimental bands of both sides into having
      a battle of the bands. Also had the churches ring the bells at Noon to
      signal the start of the festival. While I was on the committee I planned and
      over saw the culmination of a preservation walk Robert Lee Hodge organized
      that finished marching into town from their historic routes into Sharpsburg
      and meeting in the town square. I got the overnight camping locations, did
      the firewood, water, and porta-johns. Tom Clemens helped me as some of the
      money raised went to SHAF. Got avery nice Keith Rocco print as a thanks from
      the march organizers. Very few people know of what I did, but there have
      been some pretenders to the event in recent years making claims these things
      were their brainchilds. They have never had a hand in what I started. These
      were the days when the Lion's Club ran the event. Then the politics got out
      of hand during the event when we had the greatest attendence of Living
      history groups and success for the festival, including an artillery piece.
      All that I had set up started to be stripped back because of fears of a
      political back lash from another group. I quit and have never looked back.
      Unfortunately the festival has degenerated into a big crafts fair which not
      what it once was. It is a good money maker for SHAF,Inc.. Several members
      have tried to re-recruit me but I am not interested in getting back into the
      pool. I have more fun dressing up and primping and promenading around town
      and working the SHAF table. Can't say I'm surprised it has fallen apart.

      Best Regards,
      Kevin Rawlings
    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004

        And we'll look forward to seeing you. My porch is always open for you all to
        set a spell.

        Kevin
      • Mary A. Stevanus
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
          Kevin,

          I agree with much of what you say. The Festival has gotten very far
          from what it was, but it's failure is "not an option". I live in
          town, and I hope this is a wake-up call for the current organizers
          that some serious changes need to be made to save it. The Sharpsburg
          Historical Society is looking into ways we can help out, so don't be
          surprised if you get a call!

          PS (I don't call it a craft fair. I call it a junk fair! Without a
          juried show you will never get real artists to set up shop.

          Mary Stevanus

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Rawlings, Kevin"