Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: No Sharpsburg festival?

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3 7:24 AM
      > Tom,
      >
      > Thanks for posting this article. I sure hope that things can be worked
      > out
      > to allow this annual event to be held this year. However, having attended
      > this event every year since 1993, I still plan to be in Sharpsburg in
      > September.
      >
      > Bud Wilkinson
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Bud --

      I used to stay at "The Rohrbach Inn" the B&B on Main St. there, and was
      there for the parade one year. I got to sit on the balcony and watch and
      (even for this big city boy) it was great fun. It was like I was on the
      reviewing stand. But I also knew that Joseph Rorhbach stood in this same
      spot and watched Jackson's corps march into his town. Of course the
      "original" house has been refurbished (I believe) but, nonetheless, it was
      a "moment" for me.
      I hope they will be able to save the event. It would be a shame to lose it.

      Richard Croker
      richard@...
    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3 9:09 AM
        Richard & Tom

        I was the one who started the Union and Confederate troops meeting in the
        center of town and organizing the regimental bands of both sides into having
        a battle of the bands. Also had the churches ring the bells at Noon to
        signal the start of the festival. While I was on the committee I planned and
        over saw the culmination of a preservation walk Robert Lee Hodge organized
        that finished marching into town from their historic routes into Sharpsburg
        and meeting in the town square. I got the overnight camping locations, did
        the firewood, water, and porta-johns. Tom Clemens helped me as some of the
        money raised went to SHAF. Got avery nice Keith Rocco print as a thanks from
        the march organizers. Very few people know of what I did, but there have
        been some pretenders to the event in recent years making claims these things
        were their brainchilds. They have never had a hand in what I started. These
        were the days when the Lion's Club ran the event. Then the politics got out
        of hand during the event when we had the greatest attendence of Living
        history groups and success for the festival, including an artillery piece.
        All that I had set up started to be stripped back because of fears of a
        political back lash from another group. I quit and have never looked back.
        Unfortunately the festival has degenerated into a big crafts fair which not
        what it once was. It is a good money maker for SHAF,Inc.. Several members
        have tried to re-recruit me but I am not interested in getting back into the
        pool. I have more fun dressing up and primping and promenading around town
        and working the SHAF table. Can't say I'm surprised it has fallen apart.

        Best Regards,
        Kevin Rawlings
      • Rawlings, Kevin
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3 9:12 AM

          And we'll look forward to seeing you. My porch is always open for you all to
          set a spell.

          Kevin
        • Mary A. Stevanus
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3 1:16 PM
            Kevin,

            I agree with much of what you say. The Festival has gotten very far
            from what it was, but it's failure is "not an option". I live in
            town, and I hope this is a wake-up call for the current organizers
            that some serious changes need to be made to save it. The Sharpsburg
            Historical Society is looking into ways we can help out, so don't be
            surprised if you get a call!

            PS (I don't call it a craft fair. I call it a junk fair! Without a
            juried show you will never get real artists to set up shop.

            Mary Stevanus

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Rawlings, Kevin"