Re: No Sharpsburg festival?

  • Bud Wilkinson
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004

      Thanks for posting this article. I sure hope that things can be worked out
      to allow this annual event to be held this year. However, having attended
      this event every year since 1993, I still plan to be in Sharpsburg in
      September.

      Bud Wilkinson
    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
        > Tom,
        >
        > Thanks for posting this article. I sure hope that things can be worked
        > out
        > to allow this annual event to be held this year. However, having attended
        > this event every year since 1993, I still plan to be in Sharpsburg in
        > September.
        >
        > Bud Wilkinson
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Bud --

        I used to stay at "The Rohrbach Inn" the B&B on Main St. there, and was
        there for the parade one year. I got to sit on the balcony and watch and
        (even for this big city boy) it was great fun. It was like I was on the
        reviewing stand. But I also knew that Joseph Rorhbach stood in this same
        spot and watched Jackson's corps march into his town. Of course the
        "original" house has been refurbished (I believe) but, nonetheless, it was
        a "moment" for me.
        I hope they will be able to save the event. It would be a shame to lose it.

        Richard Croker
        richard@...
      • Rawlings, Kevin
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
          Richard & Tom

          I was the one who started the Union and Confederate troops meeting in the
          center of town and organizing the regimental bands of both sides into having
          a battle of the bands. Also had the churches ring the bells at Noon to
          signal the start of the festival. While I was on the committee I planned and
          over saw the culmination of a preservation walk Robert Lee Hodge organized
          that finished marching into town from their historic routes into Sharpsburg
          and meeting in the town square. I got the overnight camping locations, did
          the firewood, water, and porta-johns. Tom Clemens helped me as some of the
          money raised went to SHAF. Got avery nice Keith Rocco print as a thanks from
          the march organizers. Very few people know of what I did, but there have
          been some pretenders to the event in recent years making claims these things
          were their brainchilds. They have never had a hand in what I started. These
          were the days when the Lion's Club ran the event. Then the politics got out
          of hand during the event when we had the greatest attendence of Living
          history groups and success for the festival, including an artillery piece.
          All that I had set up started to be stripped back because of fears of a
          political back lash from another group. I quit and have never looked back.
          Unfortunately the festival has degenerated into a big crafts fair which not
          what it once was. It is a good money maker for SHAF,Inc.. Several members
          have tried to re-recruit me but I am not interested in getting back into the
          pool. I have more fun dressing up and primping and promenading around town
          and working the SHAF table. Can't say I'm surprised it has fallen apart.

          Best Regards,
          Kevin Rawlings
        • Rawlings, Kevin
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004

            And we'll look forward to seeing you. My porch is always open for you all to
            set a spell.

            Kevin
          • Mary A. Stevanus
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
              Kevin,

              I agree with much of what you say. The Festival has gotten very far
              from what it was, but it's failure is "not an option". I live in
              town, and I hope this is a wake-up call for the current organizers
              that some serious changes need to be made to save it. The Sharpsburg
              Historical Society is looking into ways we can help out, so don't be
              surprised if you get a call!

              PS (I don't call it a craft fair. I call it a junk fair! Without a
              juried show you will never get real artists to set up shop.

              Mary Stevanus

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Rawlings, Kevin"