RE: [TalkAntietam] First time to Antietam

  • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
      There is NOWHERE to eat, except the South Mountain Inn. Bring
      provisions.

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
        Jeff Beckner wrote>"There is NOWHERE to eat, except the South Mountain Inn.
        Bring provisions."<

        Not true! If you are looking for sandwiches there are a couple of places in
        and around town.
        The AMOCO station in town at the corner of routes 34 and 65 has handmade
        sandwiches and the BattleView Market on route 65 heading to the park has
        soup, sandwiches and subs. In town at the square there is the Town Deli and
        Nutter's Ice Cream. Across the river in Shepherdstown you have the Bavarian
        Inn. Also, if you have a taste for fast food, across the river and go to the
        stop sign and make a right and go a little less than a mile and there is a
        McDonald's and Food Lion in the shopping center. Again at the stop sign,
        instead of going right, turn left and up and down the main street in
        Shepherdstown there is a variety of food establishments from ritzy(Yellow
        Brick Bank), The Olde Pharmacy, to several pizzarias, and the Mecklenburg
        Inn. As for Boonsboro, backtrack up route 34 where you will pass the Red
        Byrd just outside Keedysville, to the traffic light at the corner of 34 and
        old route 40 and turn left. There is a new Subway on your right hand side
        and on the left is Asaro's Pizza which makes a mean pizza called the
        "Warrior". Now, if you are sitting at the light before making the left,
        there is a restaurant called "Heather B's" straight ahead on the right
        corner across from the old dilapidated building to the left. Also, if you
        turn left and go through Boonsboro past another stop light on the outskirts
        of town, the right will veer off towards route 66, but stay straight and go
        about another mile and a half to two miles and you will come the Auction
        House complex with an American flag painted on the building to your left.
        There is a restaurant and a pub there that is pretty good.

        Bottom line, there are nice places to eat at in and around Sharpsburg and
        some of the surrounding towns within ten miles of the battlefield. Any other
        questions, ask me as I live in Sharpsburg.

        Kevin Rawlings
      • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
          I stand corrected.

          Of course, I would immediately strike any places without alcohol from
          the list.

          I had pizza at one of those places in S'town once. Pretty good.

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • rchurch@qis.net
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
            The place with the American Flag painted on the building is called the "Old
            Pike Inn" ..... they make a great burger.
            Ron Church
            Manchester MD

          • Rawlings, Kevin
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
              Jeff, Ron, and all,

              The majority of all those places do serve or sell alcohol (including the
              Shepherdstown Food Lion) or some sort of spirits. Mecklenburg Inn I know
              serves Guiness on tap and the gal(I don't know if she is still there)that
              tended bar poured a mean and tasty Black and Tan. Ron, you are quite
              correct, it is now the Old Pike Inn.

              Kevin
            • Rawlings, Kevin
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                Jeff,

                The Old Pike Inn also serves a number of micro-brews on tap in the pub side.

                Kevin
              • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                  I'll have to stop in next time I'm in MD.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                    Jeff,

                    Let me know when you are in town next and I'll join if you'd like company.
                    You can find me in phone book or I live next door to the church on the
                    corner before you turn up 65 to the Park.

                    Kevin
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                      Dear Kevin,

                      I think I am going to be in Sharpsburg for the Heritage Festival this next September with the Civil War Heritage Foundation. So it would be good to see you again and maybe quaff a Guinness or two......or a mean Black and Tan!

                      I remain,
                      Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
                      G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
                      Confederate Signal Corps, Longstreet's Corps

                      "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
                      else we shall grow too fond of it."
                      --Robert E. Lee

                      > The majority of all those places do serve or sell alcohol (including the
                      > Shepherdstown Food Lion) or some sort of spirits. Mecklenburg Inn I know
                      > serves Guiness on tap and the gal(I don't know if she is still there)that
                      > tended bar poured a mean and tasty Black and Tan. Ron, you are quite
                      > correct, it is now the Old Pike Inn.
                      >
                      > Kevin
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 24, 2004
                        Will do.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 24, 2004

                          Let's count on it. Also I will be at Shippen Manor the 2nd Sunday in
                          December for the Christmas program.

                          All the best,
                          Kevin

                            > Let's count on it. Also I will be at Shippen Manor the 2nd Sunday in
                            > December for the Christmas program.
                            >
                            > All the best,
                            > Kevin

                              > Let me know when you are in town next and I'll join if you'd like
                              > company.
                              > You can find me in phone book or I live next door to the church on the
                              > corner before you turn up 65 to the Park.
                              >
                              > Kevin

                            • Rawlings, Kevin
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 24, 2004

                                Hopefully there won't be an unexpected crisis at home to deal with. Was
                                suppose to be there this past year but the weather cancelled the event. I'll
                                tell them to book me a room for the night and make time for a visit.

                                All the best,
                                Kevin