Memorial Day: Lest We Forget

  • adco
    Message 1 of 4 , May 26, 2001
      We can argue about the generals who should have gone here and there. And
      who started the war and who really lost or won a battle.

      But in the process, we forget the 630,000 young men who would never grow
      old.

      One member of the Ninth Indiana, Ammens' Brigade, Nelson's Division of
      Buell's Army of the Ohio never forgot or his first view of the terrors
      of war, going into line on the morning of April 7, 1862 at Shiloh:

      "In a few moments we had passed out of the singular oasis that had so
      marvelously escaped the desolation of battle, and now the evidences of
      the previous day's struggle were present in profusion. The ground was
      tolerably level here, the forest less dense, mostly clear of
      undergrowth, and occasionally opening out into small natural meadows.
      Here and there were small pools – mere discs of rainwater with a tinge
      of blood. Riven and torn with cannon-shot, the trunks of the trees
      protruded bunches of splinters like hands, the fingers above the wound
      interlacing with those below. Large branches had been lopped, and hung
      their green heads to the ground, or swung critically in their netting of
      vines, as in a hammock.

      "Many had been cut clean off and their masses of foliage seriously
      impeded the progress of the troops. The bark of these trees, from the
      root upward to a height of ten or twenty feet, was so thickly pierced
      with bullets and grape that one could not have laid a band on it without
      covering several punctures. None had escaped. How the human body
      survives a storm like this must be explained by the fact that it is
      exposed to it but a few moments at a time, whereas these grand old trees
      had had no one to take their places, from the rising to the going down
      of the sun. Angular bits of iron, concavo-convex, sticking in the sides
      of muddy depressions, showed where shells had exploded in their furrows.
      Knapsacks, canteens, haversacks distended with soaken and swollen
      biscuits, gaping to disgorge, blankets beaten into the soil by the rain,
      rifles with bent barrels or splintered stocks, waist-belts, hats and the
      omnipresent sardine-box – all the wretched debris of the battle still
      littered the spongy earth as far as one could see, in every direction.
      Dead horses were everywhere; a few disabled caissons, or limbers,
      reclining on one elbow, as it were; ammunition wagons standing
      disconsolate behind four or six sprawling mules. Men? There were men
      enough; all dead apparently, except one, who lay near where I had halted
      my platoon to await the slower movement of the line – a Federal
      sergeant, variously hurt, who had been a fine giant in his time. He lay
      face upward, taking in his breath in convulsive rattling snorts, and
      blowing it out in sputters of froth which crawled creamily down his
      cheeks, piling itself alongside his neck and ears. A bullet had clipped
      a groove in his skull, above the temple; from this the brain protruded
      in bosses, dropping off in flakes and strings. I had not previously
      known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so
      little brain. One of my men whom I knew for a womanish fellow, asked if
      he should put his bayonet through him. Inexpressibly shocked by the
      cold-blooded proposal, I told him I thought not; it was unusual, and too
      many were looking."

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      303.451.6276 Adco@...
    • hjs21@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 27, 2001
        In a message dated 5/27/01 12:47:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, adco1@...
        writes:

        One member of the Ninth Indiana, Ammens' Brigade, Nelson's Division of
        Buell's Army of the Ohio never forgot or his first view of the terrors
        of war, going into line on the morning of April 7, 1862 at Shiloh:

        Would this be Ambrose Bierce?

        Harry
      • Bob Huddleston
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2001
          Message
          Late in replying, but you are correct.

          Can you imagine Ambrose on one of these chat groups! :>)

          Take care,

          Bob

          Judy and Bob Huddleston
          10643 Sperry Street
          Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
          303.451.6276   Adco@...

          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2001
            In a message dated 5/31/01 1:05:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, adco1@...
            writes:

            Can you imagine Ambrose on one of these chat groups! :>)

            Well, you know, they never did find him.....

            Harry