Re: [TalkAntietam] First time to Antietam

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 21, 2004
      Dear Brian,

      For lunch or dinner, from the parking lot at the Antietam NBP Visitor Center, go back to MD SR 65 and make a left down to Sharpsburg. At the stop sign at the junction of SR 65 and Main Street, make another left. Take this road out through Sharpsburg and past the National Cemetery, crossing the Middle Bridge and the Newcomer Farm. Continue towards Boonsboro until you come into Keedysville. At Keedysville, you will see, on your right hand side, the diner complex titled The Red Byrd.

      Suggest you take your meals there. The food is great and the prices are most reasonable.

      Hope this helps.

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 21, 2004
        Dear Mary,

        Sharpsburg itself might have a place or two to eat, but Keedysville has The Red Byrd. Boonsboro might have a place or two; Shepherdstown, WVa is about fifteen minutes the other direction.

        I remain,
        Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
        G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
        Confederate Signal Corps, Longstreet's Corps

        "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
        else we shall grow too fond of it."
        --Robert E. Lee

        > As far as places to eat, You will have to go to Hagerstown to find anything
        > fast food. Sharpesburg has none,by design, which is what makes going there
        > so wonderful! How do you plan to get there from Gettysburg?
        > Mary

      • Brian Morris
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 21, 2004
          I'll have a rental car. I'm hoping to have enough time after Anteitam to see
          Harper's Ferry as well.

          Brian

          > As far as places to eat, You will have to go to Hagerstown to find
          anything
          > fast food. Sharpesburg has none,by design, which is what makes going
          there
          > so wonderful! How do you plan to get there from Gettysburg?
          > Mary

        • Brian Morris
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 21, 2004
            Thanks for the help. I'm really looking forward to this trip. I've just
            never found the time the last several years when I've visited Gettysburg to
            get down to Antietam but this year I'm making time.

            Brian

            > Dear Brian,
            >
            > For lunch or dinner, from the parking lot at the Antietam NBP Visitor
            Center, go back to MD SR 65 and make a left down to Sharpsburg. At the stop
            sign at the junction of SR 65 and Main Street, make another left. Take this
            road out through Sharpsburg and past the National Cemetery, crossing the
            Middle Bridge and the Newcomer Farm. Continue towards Boonsboro until you
            come into Keedysville. At Keedysville, you will see, on your right hand
            side, the diner complex titled The Red Byrd.

            > Suggest you take your meals there. The food is great and the prices are
            most reasonable.

            > Hope this helps.

          • Mary Hawthorne
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 21, 2004
              Thanks.. I knew there were other things near by but have not been there that
              often to be able to give good advise.

            • Mary Hawthorne
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 21, 2004
                You can ask at the desk at gettysburg for a good route to take. Many go to
                Frederick and then up alt 40. I took the route through the catoctin mts one
                time.
                Mary
                > I'll have a rental car. I'm hoping to have enough time after Anteitam to
                see
                > Harper's Ferry as well.
                >
                > Brian
                >
                > > As far as places to eat, You will have to go to Hagerstown to find
                > anything
                > > fast food. Sharpesburg has none,by design, which is what makes going
                > there
                > > so wonderful! How do you plan to get there from Gettysburg?
                > > Mary

              • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                  There is NOWHERE to eat, except the South Mountain Inn. Bring
                  provisions.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                    Jeff Beckner wrote>"There is NOWHERE to eat, except the South Mountain Inn.
                    Bring provisions."<

                    Not true! If you are looking for sandwiches there are a couple of places in
                    and around town.
                    The AMOCO station in town at the corner of routes 34 and 65 has handmade
                    sandwiches and the BattleView Market on route 65 heading to the park has
                    soup, sandwiches and subs. In town at the square there is the Town Deli and
                    Nutter's Ice Cream. Across the river in Shepherdstown you have the Bavarian
                    Inn. Also, if you have a taste for fast food, across the river and go to the
                    stop sign and make a right and go a little less than a mile and there is a
                    McDonald's and Food Lion in the shopping center. Again at the stop sign,
                    instead of going right, turn left and up and down the main street in
                    Shepherdstown there is a variety of food establishments from ritzy(Yellow
                    Brick Bank), The Olde Pharmacy, to several pizzarias, and the Mecklenburg
                    Inn. As for Boonsboro, backtrack up route 34 where you will pass the Red
                    Byrd just outside Keedysville, to the traffic light at the corner of 34 and
                    old route 40 and turn left. There is a new Subway on your right hand side
                    and on the left is Asaro's Pizza which makes a mean pizza called the
                    "Warrior". Now, if you are sitting at the light before making the left,
                    there is a restaurant called "Heather B's" straight ahead on the right
                    corner across from the old dilapidated building to the left. Also, if you
                    turn left and go through Boonsboro past another stop light on the outskirts
                    of town, the right will veer off towards route 66, but stay straight and go
                    about another mile and a half to two miles and you will come the Auction
                    House complex with an American flag painted on the building to your left.
                    There is a restaurant and a pub there that is pretty good.

                    Bottom line, there are nice places to eat at in and around Sharpsburg and
                    some of the surrounding towns within ten miles of the battlefield. Any other
                    questions, ask me as I live in Sharpsburg.

                    Kevin Rawlings
                  • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                      I stand corrected.

                      Of course, I would immediately strike any places without alcohol from
                      the list.

                      I had pizza at one of those places in S'town once. Pretty good.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                        The place with the American Flag painted on the building is called the "Old
                        Pike Inn" ..... they make a great burger.
                        Ron Church
                        Manchester MD

                      • Rawlings, Kevin
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                          Jeff, Ron, and all,

                          The majority of all those places do serve or sell alcohol (including the
                          Shepherdstown Food Lion) or some sort of spirits. Mecklenburg Inn I know
                          serves Guiness on tap and the gal(I don't know if she is still there)that
                          tended bar poured a mean and tasty Black and Tan. Ron, you are quite
                          correct, it is now the Old Pike Inn.

                          Kevin
                        • Rawlings, Kevin
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                            Jeff,

                            The Old Pike Inn also serves a number of micro-brews on tap in the pub side.

                            Kevin
                          • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                              I'll have to stop in next time I'm in MD.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                                Jeff,

                                Let me know when you are in town next and I'll join if you'd like company.
                                You can find me in phone book or I live next door to the church on the
                                corner before you turn up 65 to the Park.

                                Kevin

                                  > The majority of all those places do serve or sell alcohol (including the
                                  > Shepherdstown Food Lion) or some sort of spirits. Mecklenburg Inn I know
                                  > serves Guiness on tap and the gal(I don't know if she is still there)that
                                  > tended bar poured a mean and tasty Black and Tan. Ron, you are quite
                                  > correct, it is now the Old Pike Inn.
                                  >
                                  > Kevin
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 24, 2004
                                    Will do.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 24, 2004

                                      Let's count on it. Also I will be at Shippen Manor the 2nd Sunday in
                                      December for the Christmas program.

                                      All the best,
                                      Kevin

                                        > Let's count on it. Also I will be at Shippen Manor the 2nd Sunday in
                                        > December for the Christmas program.
                                        >
                                        > All the best,
                                        > Kevin

                                          > Let me know when you are in town next and I'll join if you'd like
                                          > company.
                                          > You can find me in phone book or I live next door to the church on the
                                          > corner before you turn up 65 to the Park.
                                          >
                                          > Kevin

                                        • Rawlings, Kevin
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 24, 2004

                                            Hopefully there won't be an unexpected crisis at home to deal with. Was
                                            suppose to be there this past year but the weather cancelled the event. I'll
                                            tell them to book me a room for the night and make time for a visit.

                                            All the best,
                                            Kevin