First time to Antietam

  • Brian Morris
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 20, 2004
      I'll be making my first trip to Antietam late next month and was wondering
      if anyone has any tips for a first time visitor including the good places to
      eat? I'm going to be in Gettysburg for 5 days and plan to spend at least one
      day driving down and exploring Antietam.

      This is actually my 4th trip to Gettysburg but I've never gotten around to
      Antietam so I want to make sure I don't miss it this time. The battle itself
      I'm reasonably solid on and I'll have my handy dandy Trailhead Graphics map
      so I'm prepared from that perspective. I figured I'll start with the good
      old fashion auto tour and then freelance it after that.

      Brian
    • Mary Hawthorne
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 21, 2004
        As far as places to eat, You will have to go to Hagerstown to find anything
        fast food. Sharpesburg has none,by design, which is what makes going there
        so wonderful! How do you plan to get there from Gettysburg?
        Mary

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 21, 2004
          Dear Brian,

          For lunch or dinner, from the parking lot at the Antietam NBP Visitor Center, go back to MD SR 65 and make a left down to Sharpsburg. At the stop sign at the junction of SR 65 and Main Street, make another left. Take this road out through Sharpsburg and past the National Cemetery, crossing the Middle Bridge and the Newcomer Farm. Continue towards Boonsboro until you come into Keedysville. At Keedysville, you will see, on your right hand side, the diner complex titled The Red Byrd.

          Suggest you take your meals there. The food is great and the prices are most reasonable.

          Hope this helps.

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 21, 2004
            Dear Mary,

            Sharpsburg itself might have a place or two to eat, but Keedysville has The Red Byrd. Boonsboro might have a place or two; Shepherdstown, WVa is about fifteen minutes the other direction.

            I remain,
            Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
            G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
            Confederate Signal Corps, Longstreet's Corps

            "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
            else we shall grow too fond of it."
            --Robert E. Lee

            > As far as places to eat, You will have to go to Hagerstown to find anything
            > fast food. Sharpesburg has none,by design, which is what makes going there
            > so wonderful! How do you plan to get there from Gettysburg?
            > Mary

          • Brian Morris
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 21, 2004
              I'll have a rental car. I'm hoping to have enough time after Anteitam to see
              Harper's Ferry as well.

              Brian

              > As far as places to eat, You will have to go to Hagerstown to find
              anything
              > fast food. Sharpesburg has none,by design, which is what makes going
              there
              > so wonderful! How do you plan to get there from Gettysburg?
              > Mary

            • Brian Morris
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 21, 2004
                Thanks for the help. I'm really looking forward to this trip. I've just
                never found the time the last several years when I've visited Gettysburg to
                get down to Antietam but this year I'm making time.

                Brian

                > Dear Brian,
                >
                > For lunch or dinner, from the parking lot at the Antietam NBP Visitor
                Center, go back to MD SR 65 and make a left down to Sharpsburg. At the stop
                sign at the junction of SR 65 and Main Street, make another left. Take this
                road out through Sharpsburg and past the National Cemetery, crossing the
                Middle Bridge and the Newcomer Farm. Continue towards Boonsboro until you
                come into Keedysville. At Keedysville, you will see, on your right hand
                side, the diner complex titled The Red Byrd.

                > Suggest you take your meals there. The food is great and the prices are
                most reasonable.

                > Hope this helps.

              • Mary Hawthorne
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 21, 2004
                  Thanks.. I knew there were other things near by but have not been there that
                  often to be able to give good advise.

                • Mary Hawthorne
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 21, 2004
                    You can ask at the desk at gettysburg for a good route to take. Many go to
                    Frederick and then up alt 40. I took the route through the catoctin mts one
                    time.
                    Mary
                    > I'll have a rental car. I'm hoping to have enough time after Anteitam to
                    see
                    > Harper's Ferry as well.
                    >
                    > Brian
                    >
                    > > As far as places to eat, You will have to go to Hagerstown to find
                    > anything
                    > > fast food. Sharpesburg has none,by design, which is what makes going
                    > there
                    > > so wonderful! How do you plan to get there from Gettysburg?
                    > > Mary

                  • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                      There is NOWHERE to eat, except the South Mountain Inn. Bring
                      provisions.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                        Jeff Beckner wrote>"There is NOWHERE to eat, except the South Mountain Inn.
                        Bring provisions."<

                        Not true! If you are looking for sandwiches there are a couple of places in
                        and around town.
                        The AMOCO station in town at the corner of routes 34 and 65 has handmade
                        sandwiches and the BattleView Market on route 65 heading to the park has
                        soup, sandwiches and subs. In town at the square there is the Town Deli and
                        Nutter's Ice Cream. Across the river in Shepherdstown you have the Bavarian
                        Inn. Also, if you have a taste for fast food, across the river and go to the
                        stop sign and make a right and go a little less than a mile and there is a
                        McDonald's and Food Lion in the shopping center. Again at the stop sign,
                        instead of going right, turn left and up and down the main street in
                        Shepherdstown there is a variety of food establishments from ritzy(Yellow
                        Brick Bank), The Olde Pharmacy, to several pizzarias, and the Mecklenburg
                        Inn. As for Boonsboro, backtrack up route 34 where you will pass the Red
                        Byrd just outside Keedysville, to the traffic light at the corner of 34 and
                        old route 40 and turn left. There is a new Subway on your right hand side
                        and on the left is Asaro's Pizza which makes a mean pizza called the
                        "Warrior". Now, if you are sitting at the light before making the left,
                        there is a restaurant called "Heather B's" straight ahead on the right
                        corner across from the old dilapidated building to the left. Also, if you
                        turn left and go through Boonsboro past another stop light on the outskirts
                        of town, the right will veer off towards route 66, but stay straight and go
                        about another mile and a half to two miles and you will come the Auction
                        House complex with an American flag painted on the building to your left.
                        There is a restaurant and a pub there that is pretty good.

                        Bottom line, there are nice places to eat at in and around Sharpsburg and
                        some of the surrounding towns within ten miles of the battlefield. Any other
                        questions, ask me as I live in Sharpsburg.

                        Kevin Rawlings
                      • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                          I stand corrected.

                          Of course, I would immediately strike any places without alcohol from
                          the list.

                          I had pizza at one of those places in S'town once. Pretty good.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                            The place with the American Flag painted on the building is called the "Old
                            Pike Inn" ..... they make a great burger.
                            Ron Church
                            Manchester MD

                          • Rawlings, Kevin
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                              Jeff, Ron, and all,

                              The majority of all those places do serve or sell alcohol (including the
                              Shepherdstown Food Lion) or some sort of spirits. Mecklenburg Inn I know
                              serves Guiness on tap and the gal(I don't know if she is still there)that
                              tended bar poured a mean and tasty Black and Tan. Ron, you are quite
                              correct, it is now the Old Pike Inn.

                              Kevin
                            • Rawlings, Kevin
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                                Jeff,

                                The Old Pike Inn also serves a number of micro-brews on tap in the pub side.

                                Kevin
                              • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                                  I'll have to stop in next time I'm in MD.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 23, 2004
                                    Jeff,

                                    Let me know when you are in town next and I'll join if you'd like company.
                                    You can find me in phone book or I live next door to the church on the
                                    corner before you turn up 65 to the Park.

                                    Kevin

                                      > The majority of all those places do serve or sell alcohol (including the
                                      > Shepherdstown Food Lion) or some sort of spirits. Mecklenburg Inn I know
                                      > serves Guiness on tap and the gal(I don't know if she is still there)that
                                      > tended bar poured a mean and tasty Black and Tan. Ron, you are quite
                                      > correct, it is now the Old Pike Inn.
                                      >
                                      > Kevin
                                      >

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 24, 2004
                                        Will do.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 24, 2004

                                          Let's count on it. Also I will be at Shippen Manor the 2nd Sunday in
                                          December for the Christmas program.

                                          All the best,
                                          Kevin

                                            > Let's count on it. Also I will be at Shippen Manor the 2nd Sunday in
                                            > December for the Christmas program.
                                            >
                                            > All the best,
                                            > Kevin

                                              > Let me know when you are in town next and I'll join if you'd like
                                              > company.
                                              > You can find me in phone book or I live next door to the church on the
                                              > corner before you turn up 65 to the Park.
                                              >
                                              > Kevin

                                            • Rawlings, Kevin
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 24, 2004

                                                Hopefully there won't be an unexpected crisis at home to deal with. Was
                                                suppose to be there this past year but the weather cancelled the event. I'll
                                                tell them to book me a room for the night and make time for a visit.

                                                All the best,
                                                Kevin