90th Pa Antietam Monument

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2004
      Awhile back I believed I mentioned about being the Secretary of the 90th Pa Antietam Monument Foundation. We have been raising money to replace the 90th Pa monument that was placed on the battlefield by the veterans themselves. Over time, it fell apart and the NPS had to remove the pieces that were left.

      I am happy to say that it appears very likely that the monument will be dedicated on Sept 18th at this year's anniversary weekend. I will fill you in on the details as they develop. The artist is Gary Casteel. It will be an exact replica of the orginal monument.

      Paula
    • Laura Denny
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20, 2004
        on 2/19/04 8:04 PM, 128thpa@... at 128thpa@... wrote:

        > Awhile back I believed I mentioned about being the Secretary of the 90th Pa
        > Antietam Monument Foundation. We have been raising money to replace the 90th
        > Pa monument

        Paula,
        Thank you for posting this information. I have a very tender spot in my
        heart for the men of the 90th since they camped in my yard in June 1862.
        Where can I send a donation toward the new monument? Thank you also
        for putting me in touch with Jim Durkin before his unfortunate death. He was
        most helpful and kind in sharing his knowledge.
        All the best,
        Laura
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 20, 2004
          Dear Laura,

          Please contact me privately at your convenience, if you would! Thanks!

          I remain,
          Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
          G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
          Confederate Signal Corps, Longstreet's Corps

          "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
          else we shall grow too fond of it."
          --Robert E. Lee

        • 128thpa@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 21, 2004
            Hi Laura, how are you? It is good to hear from you.

            I am away and using someone's else's computer, so I will post the exact address for contributions as soon as I return home.

            We can still use contributions!!

            Paula