(no subject)

  • scotty90900@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2001
      From: "Yolanda de Jong"
      Date: Sat May 26, 2001 9:16 am
      Subject: Re: [hdg] Irish Brigade - Patriots or hypocrits?

      Just read your message and I will try and give you an answer in the Irish
      question. I am from the Netherlands but for a couple of years I
      corresponded with a young man from Belfast who claimed to have connections
      with the IRA. The liberty-discussion came up a couple of times and he
      explained it as follows: When Ireland was invaded the English used brutal
      force, Sherman's march through Georgia was a picknick compared to that, and
      they continued to use such force over the centuries. The Irish have been
      made to feel inferior in ways I cannot imagine. For example, in the English
      countryside you'll sometimes see signs on the door of pubs saying: no
      blacks, dogs or Irishmen allowed..... the signs have dissapeared but the
      attitude has not. Well, in some parts of England anyway. This young man
      also told me that the love for Ireland and the need of their own government
      is imbedded in the mind same as the hate for the English. I find it hard to
      understand and even harder to explain because I haven't been through this
      but he told me that he was raised with the idea that all English are scum
      and he could see the proof every day. Does this make sense in any way? As
      for the alliance with Germany, it's easy now to say they were despicable
      because we know what Hitler and his cronies were up to but you have to
      remember also that quite a few countries in Europe praised Germany and
      their strong leader to the heavens. And a people who want their freedom
      might sometimes stop caring what means they use to get there. Hope this has
      helped a little bit.

      Yolanda

      Unfortunately the whole world knew something bad was happening to the Jews
      in Germany. But they ignored it.
      I think it was more a case of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" than any
      desire to help Hitler.

      SW