Re: [TalkAntietam] Accomadations

  • Oliver Gamble
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
      From: Brian Morris
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2004 12:59 PM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Accomadations

      You might try staying in Gettysburg. It's only a 30-45 minute drive from
      Antietam and has plenty of nice places to stay. Many more than in the
      immediate area of Antietam. I highly recommend the Travelodge. The advantage
      to Gettysburg is your wife will have lots of not Civil War type options to
      enjoy.

      I had a problem similar to yours last year. My wife and I spent 3 days in
      Gettysburg and she could care less about the Civil War. However if you stay
      in Gettysburg there are many non Civil War type activities she can do. She
      can take a tour of Washington DC. They have really nice bus tours so she
      doesn't even have to drive. She could tour the Eisenhower farm. There are
      many nice antique shops in the Gettysburg area. She could drive to Baltimore
      (52 miles) and see National Aquarium (My wife loved it).

      Hope that helps with some ideas.

      Brian

      Hagerstown Maryland has as many nice motels as Gettysburg, is only 10 minutes from antietam, is much closer to Baltimore and/or Washington. In other words a much better place to stay than Gettysburg.

      O.G.

    • Bud Wilkinson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 9, 2004
        Well, Gettysburg is, at the minimum, a one hour drive from Sharpsburg.
        There are motels in both Hagerstown, and in Shepherdstown, WV.
        Both locations are a short drive from Sharpsburg. There is a Sleep Inn on
        Rte. 65 just south of I-70 in Hagerstown. I've stayed there on several
        occasions, and it is only 10-15 minutes from the battlefield. Nearby is
        a large Prime Outlets mall. That is where many wives head. I-70 can
        also be used to head for Frederick, MD, which is about 1/2 hour from
        Hagerstown. Frederick has a wonderful restored downtown area with
        great shops.

        If interested in B&B's, there are several in and around Sharpsburg.

        Bud

        At 09:09 PM 2/8/2004, you wrote:

> [...]
      • james2044
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2004
          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Bud Wilkinson <gwilk@o...>
          wrote:
          > Well, Gettysburg is, at the minimum, a one hour drive from
          Sharpsburg.
          > There are motels in both Hagerstown, and in Shepherdstown, WV.
          > Both locations are a short drive from Sharpsburg. There is a
          Sleep Inn on
          > Rte. 65 just south of I-70 in Hagerstown. I've stayed there on
          several
          > occasions, and it is only 10-15 minutes from the battlefield.
          Nearby is
          > a large Prime Outlets mall. That is where many wives head. I-70
          can
          > also be used to head for Frederick, MD, which is about 1/2 hour
          from
          > Hagerstown. Frederick has a wonderful restored downtown area with
          > great shops.

          And the Monocacy battlefield too.

          Thanks to all of you for the information. The Sleep Inn & Prime
          Outlet Mall look good. I was worried about my wife would do.

          James2044