Accomadations

  • james2044
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
      My wife, who will not "visit dirt" and I are planning a trip that
      includes Antietam. Questions; where can we stay in the area and
      what can she do while I roam the battlefield?

      James2044
    • Brian Morris
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
        You might try staying in Gettysburg. It's only a 30-45 minute drive from
        Antietam and has plenty of nice places to stay. Many more than in the
        immediate area of Antietam. I highly recommend the Travelodge. The advantage
        to Gettysburg is your wife will have lots of not Civil War type options to
        enjoy.

        I had a problem similar to yours last year. My wife and I spent 3 days in
        Gettysburg and she could care less about the Civil War. However if you stay
        in Gettysburg there are many non Civil War type activities she can do. She
        can take a tour of Washington DC. They have really nice bus tours so she
        doesn't even have to drive. She could tour the Eisenhower farm. There are
        many nice antique shops in the Gettysburg area. She could drive to Baltimore
        (52 miles) and see National Aquarium (My wife loved it).

        Hope that helps with some ideas.

        Brian

        > My wife, who will not "visit dirt" and I are planning a trip that
        > includes Antietam. Questions; where can we stay in the area and
        > what can she do while I roam the battlefield?
        >
        > James2044
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Oliver Gamble
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
[...]

          Hagerstown Maryland has as many nice motels as Gettysburg, is only 10 minutes from antietam, is much closer to Baltimore and/or Washington. In other words a much better place to stay than Gettysburg.

          O.G.

        • Bud Wilkinson
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 9, 2004
            Well, Gettysburg is, at the minimum, a one hour drive from Sharpsburg.
            There are motels in both Hagerstown, and in Shepherdstown, WV.
            Both locations are a short drive from Sharpsburg. There is a Sleep Inn on
            Rte. 65 just south of I-70 in Hagerstown. I've stayed there on several
            occasions, and it is only 10-15 minutes from the battlefield. Nearby is
            a large Prime Outlets mall. That is where many wives head. I-70 can
            also be used to head for Frederick, MD, which is about 1/2 hour from
            Hagerstown. Frederick has a wonderful restored downtown area with
            great shops.

            If interested in B&B's, there are several in and around Sharpsburg.

            Bud

            At 09:09 PM 2/8/2004, you wrote:

> [...]
          • james2044
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 11, 2004
              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Bud Wilkinson <gwilk@o...>
              wrote:
              > Well, Gettysburg is, at the minimum, a one hour drive from
              Sharpsburg.
              > There are motels in both Hagerstown, and in Shepherdstown, WV.
              > Both locations are a short drive from Sharpsburg. There is a
              Sleep Inn on
              > Rte. 65 just south of I-70 in Hagerstown. I've stayed there on
              several
              > occasions, and it is only 10-15 minutes from the battlefield.
              Nearby is
              > a large Prime Outlets mall. That is where many wives head. I-70
              can
              > also be used to head for Frederick, MD, which is about 1/2 hour
              from
              > Hagerstown. Frederick has a wonderful restored downtown area with
              > great shops.

              And the Monocacy battlefield too.

              Thanks to all of you for the information. The Sleep Inn & Prime
              Outlet Mall look good. I was worried about my wife would do.

              James2044