Re: Widow Shackleford

  • Mary A. Stevanus
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
      Unfortunately, I do not know what her sentiments were. Sharpsburg was
      a deeply divided city, with followers of each side. I wish I could
      find out more about her, but have not been able to locate any more
      information.

      Mary Stevanus

      <antietam111@m...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Greetings to all!
      > >
      > > I'm hoping the collective wisom here can help me find some
      > > information on this dear woman.
      > >
      > > Mrs. Margaret Shackleford was a widow with 2 children living in
      > > Sharpsburg at the time of the battle. Unfortunately, her little
      > > house on Antietam Street did not survive the battle. It was
      > > destroyed by artillery during the battle. One source says the
      day
      > > before, on the 16th. Luckily, she was able to rebuild a house on
      > the
      > > same site and lived there until her death in 1889. I currently
      > reside
      > > in that house and would like very much to hear from anyone else
      who
      > > has an additional incident on this woman or the incident in which
      > her
      > > house went bomb! (so to speak).
      > >
      > > I have seen several references to the event (too afraid to cry,
      > > Schaff's History of Western MD, newspaper, etc.)but nothing with
      > more
      > > detail. A trip to the National Archives for a possible claim for
      > > damages resulted in an empty folder! So, I am somewhat at a loss
      > on
      > > where to turn next.
      > >
      > > Has anyone seen or heard any additional news on this incident?
      > >
      > > Thank you!
      > >
      > > Mary Stevanus
      > > Sharpsburg, MD
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
        Mary,

        I am very sorry I misread your name and also thanks to James for
        the info. One thing I would bet no matter what your loyalties were,
        if you lost property it would infuriate you and strengthen your
        resolve to end the war.

        Jeff

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Mary A. Stevanus"

      • Teej Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
          Mary Stevanus wrote:

          > Unfortunately, I do not know what her sentiments were. Sharpsburg was
          > a deeply divided city, with followers of each side. I wish I could
          > find out more about her, but have not been able to locate any more
          > information.

          Mary,

          If her claims record isn't at the NARA it could be they've been moved to
          the annex at College Park, Maryland. It's my understand that that is where
          Confederate claims are housed. Hope this helps.

          Regards,
          Teej