Re: Widow Shackleford

  • james2044
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2004
      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jab5716123@y...> wrote:
      > Mark.
      > I have wondered about property being destroyed , did the
      > govenment pay for these losses or did each person have to rebuild
      on
      > their own?

      My understanding was that if damaged was not the result of military
      action they were paid. My reference is the Bliss Farm at
      Gettysburg, the ruleing was that the distruction was part of the
      battle and they got nothing.

      James2044
    • Mary A. Stevanus
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
        Unfortunately, I do not know what her sentiments were. Sharpsburg was
        a deeply divided city, with followers of each side. I wish I could
        find out more about her, but have not been able to locate any more
        information.

        Mary Stevanus

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
          Mary,

          I am very sorry I misread your name and also thanks to James for
          the info. One thing I would bet no matter what your loyalties were,
          if you lost property it would infuriate you and strengthen your
          resolve to end the war.

          Jeff

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Mary A. Stevanus"

        • Teej Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
            Mary Stevanus wrote:

            > Unfortunately, I do not know what her sentiments were. Sharpsburg was
            > a deeply divided city, with followers of each side. I wish I could
            > find out more about her, but have not been able to locate any more
            > information.

            Mary,

            If her claims record isn't at the NARA it could be they've been moved to
            the annex at College Park, Maryland. It's my understand that that is where
            Confederate claims are housed. Hope this helps.

            Regards,
            Teej