Re: Widow Shackleford

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2004
      Mark.
      I have wondered about property being destroyed , did the
      govenment pay for these losses or did each person have to rebuild on
      their own? I am sure each case was treated differently and subject
      to political connections or loyalties. Was Mrs Shackleford loyal to
      the Union or Confederacy?

      Thanks
      Jeff

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "antietam111" <antietam111@m...>
      wrote:

      > Greetings to all!
      >
      > I'm hoping the collective wisom here can help me find some
      > information on this dear woman.
      >
      > Mrs. Margaret Shackleford was a widow with 2 children living in
      > Sharpsburg at the time of the battle. Unfortunately, her little
      > house on Antietam Street did not survive the battle. It was
      > destroyed by artillery during the battle. One source says the day
      > before, on the 16th. Luckily, she was able to rebuild a house on
      the
      > same site and lived there until her death in 1889. I currently
      reside
      > in that house and would like very much to hear from anyone else who
      > has an additional incident on this woman or the incident in which
      her
      > house went bomb! (so to speak).
      >
      > I have seen several references to the event (too afraid to cry,
      > Schaff's History of Western MD, newspaper, etc.)but nothing with
      more
      > detail. A trip to the National Archives for a possible claim for
      > damages resulted in an empty folder! So, I am somewhat at a loss
      on
      > where to turn next.
      >
      > Has anyone seen or heard any additional news on this incident?
      >
      > Thank you!
      >
      > Mary Stevanus
      > Sharpsburg, MD
    • james2044
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2004
        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jab5716123@y...> wrote:
        > Mark.
        > I have wondered about property being destroyed , did the
        > govenment pay for these losses or did each person have to rebuild
        on
        > their own?

        My understanding was that if damaged was not the result of military
        action they were paid. My reference is the Bliss Farm at
        Gettysburg, the ruleing was that the distruction was part of the
        battle and they got nothing.

        James2044
      • Mary A. Stevanus
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
          Unfortunately, I do not know what her sentiments were. Sharpsburg was
          a deeply divided city, with followers of each side. I wish I could
          find out more about her, but have not been able to locate any more
          information.

          Mary Stevanus

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
            Mary,

            I am very sorry I misread your name and also thanks to James for
            the info. One thing I would bet no matter what your loyalties were,
            if you lost property it would infuriate you and strengthen your
            resolve to end the war.

            Jeff

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Mary A. Stevanus"

          • Teej Smith
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
              Mary Stevanus wrote:

              > Unfortunately, I do not know what her sentiments were. Sharpsburg was
              > a deeply divided city, with followers of each side. I wish I could
              > find out more about her, but have not been able to locate any more
              > information.

              Mary,

              If her claims record isn't at the NARA it could be they've been moved to
              the annex at College Park, Maryland. It's my understand that that is where
              Confederate claims are housed. Hope this helps.

              Regards,
              Teej