Irish Brigade

  • scotty90900@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2001
      From: Barry Crompton
      Date: Sat May 26, 2001 5:29 pm
      Subject: Re: [hdg] Irish Brigade - Patriots or hypocrits?

      You bring up some very good questions. When Thomas Francis meagher had been
      sentenced to be transported to Australia, amongst the group of men he was
      with another of the irish leaders was John Mitchel. They became good
      friends and both managed to escape Tasmania in the 1850's - meagher went to
      New York and Micthels ettled in Knoxville, Tennessee, eevnetually moving to
      Richmond, Virginia. He continued to serve the South, edited the Richmodn
      Examiner during the war and all three sons served in the Confederate army
      while Meagher was a bigwig in the New York Irish brigade. I guess that it
      proves they all had separate conscious thoughts for whatever path they
      wanted to follow. Meagher didn't last long after the war but Mitchel
      continued to push for irish freedom and was involved in Fenian uprisings
      after the war.

      Barry

      So the Irish that wee on the side of the Rebels stayed true to form.

      This and the next post is an example of the reason I like the HDG more than
      any other board. Never judgmental of the original poster.

      SW
    • Stephen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 12, 2011
        Folks:
        The Hager House had a speaker lined up to talk on the Irish Brigade on the 17th, but plans fell through.

        Would there be anyone interested in picking this up? There would be a $100 honorarium for the assistance.

        If none are available on that subject, given the last minute nature, they may be amenable to changing the subject to accommodate the speaker.

        I'd do it myself, but I am up to my elbows in alligators the next two weeks.

        Thanks.
        Steve