Widow Shackleford

  • antietam111
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2004
      Greetings to all!

      I'm hoping the collective wisom here can help me find some
      information on this dear woman.

      Mrs. Margaret Shackleford was a widow with 2 children living in
      Sharpsburg at the time of the battle. Unfortunately, her little
      house on Antietam Street did not survive the battle. It was
      destroyed by artillery during the battle. One source says the day
      before, on the 16th. Luckily, she was able to rebuild a house on the
      same site and lived there until her death in 1889. I currently reside
      in that house and would like very much to hear from anyone else who
      has an additional incident on this woman or the incident in which her
      house went bomb! (so to speak).

      I have seen several references to the event (too afraid to cry,
      Schaff's History of Western MD, newspaper, etc.)but nothing with more
      detail. A trip to the National Archives for a possible claim for
      damages resulted in an empty folder! So, I am somewhat at a loss on
      where to turn next.

      Has anyone seen or heard any additional news on this incident?

      Thank you!

      Mary Stevanus
      Sharpsburg, MD
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2004
        Mark.
        I have wondered about property being destroyed , did the
        govenment pay for these losses or did each person have to rebuild on
        their own? I am sure each case was treated differently and subject
        to political connections or loyalties. Was Mrs Shackleford loyal to
        the Union or Confederacy?

        Thanks
        Jeff

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "antietam111" <antietam111@m...>
        wrote:

        > Greetings to all!
        >
        > I'm hoping the collective wisom here can help me find some
        > information on this dear woman.
        >
        > Mrs. Margaret Shackleford was a widow with 2 children living in
        > Sharpsburg at the time of the battle. Unfortunately, her little
        > house on Antietam Street did not survive the battle. It was
        > destroyed by artillery during the battle. One source says the day
        > before, on the 16th. Luckily, she was able to rebuild a house on
        the
        > same site and lived there until her death in 1889. I currently
        reside
        > in that house and would like very much to hear from anyone else who
        > has an additional incident on this woman or the incident in which
        her
        > house went bomb! (so to speak).
        >
        > I have seen several references to the event (too afraid to cry,
        > Schaff's History of Western MD, newspaper, etc.)but nothing with
        more
        > detail. A trip to the National Archives for a possible claim for
        > damages resulted in an empty folder! So, I am somewhat at a loss
        on
        > where to turn next.
        >
        > Has anyone seen or heard any additional news on this incident?
        >
        > Thank you!
        >
        > Mary Stevanus
        > Sharpsburg, MD
      • james2044
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2004
          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jab5716123@y...> wrote:
          > Mark.
          > I have wondered about property being destroyed , did the
          > govenment pay for these losses or did each person have to rebuild
          on
          > their own?

          My understanding was that if damaged was not the result of military
          action they were paid. My reference is the Bliss Farm at
          Gettysburg, the ruleing was that the distruction was part of the
          battle and they got nothing.

          James2044
        • Mary A. Stevanus
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
            Unfortunately, I do not know what her sentiments were. Sharpsburg was
            a deeply divided city, with followers of each side. I wish I could
            find out more about her, but have not been able to locate any more
            information.

            Mary Stevanus

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
              Mary,

              I am very sorry I misread your name and also thanks to James for
              the info. One thing I would bet no matter what your loyalties were,
              if you lost property it would infuriate you and strengthen your
              resolve to end the war.

              Jeff

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Mary A. Stevanus"

            • Teej Smith
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
                Mary Stevanus wrote:

                > Unfortunately, I do not know what her sentiments were. Sharpsburg was
                > a deeply divided city, with followers of each side. I wish I could
                > find out more about her, but have not been able to locate any more
                > information.

                Mary,

                If her claims record isn't at the NARA it could be they've been moved to
                the annex at College Park, Maryland. It's my understand that that is where
                Confederate claims are housed. Hope this helps.

                Regards,
                Teej