NPS In Talks To Buy Disputed Lee Statue

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2003
      From ASSOCIATED PRESS....

      "Park Service In Talks To Buy Disputed Lee Statue "

      Sharpsburg, Md. (AP) - The National Park Service is negotiating to buy a
      38-acre tract containing a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee for the
      Antietam National Battlefield, the park's superintendent said Monday.

      Critics have complained that the statue, dedicated by landowner William F.
      Chaney in June, is historically inaccurate and mars the rural views that
      battlefield preservationists treasure. Leaders of the Save Historic Antietam
      Foundation say Lee never stood on that hill, although he might have passed through the
      area before the Sept. 17, 1862, battle.

      The 24-foot bronze statue of Lee astride his horse, Traveller, would likely
      remain in place for the time being if the park service were to acquire the
      38-acre parcel, Superintendent John Howard said.

      "The monument is there now, and with funding the way it is, it wouldn't be
      hugely high on our priority list to move," Howard told The Associated Press.

      Chaney's attorney, R. Bruce Poole, said a federal purchase of the property
      would render moot the foundation's appeal in Washington County Circuit Court of
      the local Board of Zoning Appeals' approval of the statue. The possibility of
      a sale prompted postponement on Friday of a hearing on the issue.

      Poole said Chaney, a distant relative of Lee, would retain ownership of 2.5
      acres, including the Newcomer House Civil War Museum he installed inside a
      farmhouse after outbidding the park service for the land in 1999.

      POSTED BY: Tom Shay

    • david lutton
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2003

        Thanks for the post.

        If the NPS would purchase the acreage, would the ground that Mr. Chaney
        retained include the Newcomer barn across the street? By the way do you
        know the latest on the effort to stabilize the barn?

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg Pa

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2003
          In a message dated 12/31/03 6:08:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          dunkerch@... writes:
          <<If the NPS would purchase the acreage, would the ground that Mr. Chaney
          retained include the Newcomer barn across the street?>>

          On 12-21-03 there was another article posted in the Philly Inquirer (copied
          from Baltimore Sun) entitled:
          "Battle brews over Lee statue at Antietam site". It is too long to post the
          text here.

          URL is: http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/nation/7538919.htm

          Hopefully the URL works. AOL tends to create some problems with them.