Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: William Henry French-Union

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
      Dear Keith;

      Apparently in the Old Army T J Jackson had been a
      subordinate and had French brought up on charges for
      apparent drunkenness. The men under him knew he was very
      fond of the bottle and many of them did not like him for
      that.

      Also, I would suggest you read Jim Murfin's A Gleam of
      Bayonets in addition to Landscape Turned Red.

      Let me see if I can find anything about him in the Carman
      narration accompanying Sid Meier's Antietam game.

      Very respectfully,
      Your humble and obdt. Servant,
      G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
      Private,
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
      field on which he has nobly laid down his
      ." --General Robert Edward Lee