Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: William Henry French-Union

  • Teej
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
      Keith Phillips wrote:

      > Thanks to all who replied about him. I am going to read the book and
      > websites mentioned below. Any info is what I am looking for. I know he
      > was called "old blinkey" and the few brief descriptions I have found
      > about him in other books have portrayed him as a "second class General"
      > not in the league of a Meade or Sherman. I have also perceived that he
      > was a hard disiplinarian, having strung up a soldier by his thumbs, for
      > calling him old blinkey.

      There's also some good information including a photograph of your
      ancestor in Warner's "Generals in Blue."

      Regards,
      Teej
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
        Dear Keith;

        Apparently in the Old Army T J Jackson had been a
        subordinate and had French brought up on charges for
        apparent drunkenness. The men under him knew he was very
        fond of the bottle and many of them did not like him for
        that.

        Also, I would suggest you read Jim Murfin's A Gleam of
        Bayonets in addition to Landscape Turned Red.

        Let me see if I can find anything about him in the Carman
        narration accompanying Sid Meier's Antietam game.

        Very respectfully,
        Your humble and obdt. Servant,
        G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
        Private,
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
        field on which he has nobly laid down his
        ." --General Robert Edward Lee

        <gerry1952@...>

        > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson,
        Canon or Lexmark
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/