Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: William Henry French-Union

  • Keith G Phillips
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
      Thanks to all who replied about him. I am going to read the book and
      websites mentioned below. Any info is what I am looking for. I know he
      was called "old blinkey" and the few brief descriptions I have found
      about him in other books have portrayed him as a "second class General"
      not in the league of a Meade or Sherman. I have also perceived that he
      was a hard disiplinarian, having strung up a soldier by his thumbs, for
      calling him old blinkey.

      Thanks again to all.
      Keith
      RzrBacReb

      On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:33:11 -0500 "NJ Rebel" <gerry1952@...>
      writes:
      Dear Keith,

      Specifically (and beyond what is in Landscape Turned Red)
      what would you like to know about your ancestor at the
      Sunken Road at Antietam?

      Very respectfully,
      Your humble and obdt. Servant,
      G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
      Private,
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
      field on which he has nobly laid down his
      ." --General Robert Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
        Keith Phillips wrote:

        > Thanks to all who replied about him. I am going to read the book and
        > websites mentioned below. Any info is what I am looking for. I know he
        > was called "old blinkey" and the few brief descriptions I have found
        > about him in other books have portrayed him as a "second class General"
        > not in the league of a Meade or Sherman. I have also perceived that he
        > was a hard disiplinarian, having strung up a soldier by his thumbs, for
        > calling him old blinkey.

        There's also some good information including a photograph of your
        ancestor in Warner's "Generals in Blue."

        Regards,
        Teej
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
          Dear Keith;

          Apparently in the Old Army T J Jackson had been a
          subordinate and had French brought up on charges for
          apparent drunkenness. The men under him knew he was very
          fond of the bottle and many of them did not like him for
          that.

          Also, I would suggest you read Jim Murfin's A Gleam of
          Bayonets in addition to Landscape Turned Red.

          Let me see if I can find anything about him in the Carman
          narration accompanying Sid Meier's Antietam game.

          > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson,
          Canon or Lexmark
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/