Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: William Henry French-Union

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
      Dear Keith,

      Specifically (and beyond what is in Landscape Turned Red)
      what would you like to know about your ancestor at the
      Sunken Road at Antietam?

      Very respectfully,
      Your humble and obdt. Servant,
      G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
      Private,
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
      field on which he has nobly laid down his
      ." --General Robert Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
        Thanks to all who replied about him. I am going to read the book and
        websites mentioned below. Any info is what I am looking for. I know he
        was called "old blinkey" and the few brief descriptions I have found
        about him in other books have portrayed him as a "second class General"
        not in the league of a Meade or Sherman. I have also perceived that he
        was a hard disiplinarian, having strung up a soldier by his thumbs, for
        calling him old blinkey.

        Thanks again to all.
        Keith
        RzrBacReb

      • Teej
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
          Keith Phillips wrote:

          > Thanks to all who replied about him. I am going to read the book and
          > websites mentioned below. Any info is what I am looking for. I know he
          > was called "old blinkey" and the few brief descriptions I have found
          > about him in other books have portrayed him as a "second class General"
          > not in the league of a Meade or Sherman. I have also perceived that he
          > was a hard disiplinarian, having strung up a soldier by his thumbs, for
          > calling him old blinkey.

          There's also some good information including a photograph of your
          ancestor in Warner's "Generals in Blue."

          Regards,
          Teej
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
            Dear Keith;

            Apparently in the Old Army T J Jackson had been a
            subordinate and had French brought up on charges for
            apparent drunkenness. The men under him knew he was very
            fond of the bottle and many of them did not like him for
            that.

            Also, I would suggest you read Jim Murfin's A Gleam of
            Bayonets in addition to Landscape Turned Red.

            Let me see if I can find anything about him in the Carman
            narration accompanying Sid Meier's Antietam game.