Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: William Henry French-Union

  • Mary Hawthorne
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
      http://www.multied.com/Bio/UGENS/USAFrench.html
      http://www.virtualology.com/williamhenryfrench/
      http://aotw.org/officers.php?officer_id=43&from=results
      These are some sites that give short Bios of general French. If you are
      looking for more specifics about his role at Antietam I would read Landscape
      Turned Red by Stephen Sears or I would use the internet to search for
      specifice about his service with Sumner's Corp at that battle.
      Mary
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
        Dear Keith,

        Specifically (and beyond what is in Landscape Turned Red)
        what would you like to know about your ancestor at the
        Sunken Road at Antietam?

        Very respectfully,
        Your humble and obdt. Servant,
        G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
        Private,
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
        field on which he has nobly laid down his
        ." --General Robert Edward Lee

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson,
        Canon or Lexmark
        > Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to
        the US & Canada.
        > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GmiolB/TM
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Keith G Phillips
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
          Thanks to all who replied about him. I am going to read the book and
          websites mentioned below. Any info is what I am looking for. I know he
          was called "old blinkey" and the few brief descriptions I have found
          about him in other books have portrayed him as a "second class General"
          not in the league of a Meade or Sherman. I have also perceived that he
          was a hard disiplinarian, having strung up a soldier by his thumbs, for
          calling him old blinkey.

          Thanks again to all.
          Keith
          RzrBacReb

        • Teej
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
            Keith Phillips wrote:

            > Thanks to all who replied about him. I am going to read the book and
            > websites mentioned below. Any info is what I am looking for. I know he
            > was called "old blinkey" and the few brief descriptions I have found
            > about him in other books have portrayed him as a "second class General"
            > not in the league of a Meade or Sherman. I have also perceived that he
            > was a hard disiplinarian, having strung up a soldier by his thumbs, for
            > calling him old blinkey.

            There's also some good information including a photograph of your
            ancestor in Warner's "Generals in Blue."

            Regards,
            Teej
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
              Dear Keith;

              Apparently in the Old Army T J Jackson had been a
              subordinate and had French brought up on charges for
              apparent drunkenness. The men under him knew he was very
              fond of the bottle and many of them did not like him for
              that.

              Also, I would suggest you read Jim Murfin's A Gleam of
              Bayonets in addition to Landscape Turned Red.

              Let me see if I can find anything about him in the Carman
              narration accompanying Sid Meier's Antietam game.