Re: William Henry French-Union

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
      Hi Keith,

      Welcome to the group. I hope someone else will give you better
      details, but you might start with a basic bio sketch and a link to his
      Antietam after-action report online at:
      http://aotw.org/officers.php?officer_id=43

      Brian

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "rzrbacreb1" <rzrbacreb@j...> wrote:
      > Hi
      >
      > I just joined the group today. I am hoping to find some info about
      > my GG Uncle General William Henry French. Any thread would be
      > greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Keith Phillips
    • Mary Hawthorne
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
        http://www.multied.com/Bio/UGENS/USAFrench.html
        http://www.virtualology.com/williamhenryfrench/
        http://aotw.org/officers.php?officer_id=43&from=results
        These are some sites that give short Bios of general French. If you are
        looking for more specifics about his role at Antietam I would read Landscape
        Turned Red by Stephen Sears or I would use the internet to search for
        specifice about his service with Sumner's Corp at that battle.
        Mary

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
          Dear Keith,

          Specifically (and beyond what is in Landscape Turned Red)
          what would you like to know about your ancestor at the
          Sunken Road at Antietam?

          Very respectfully,
          Your humble and obdt. Servant,
          G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
          Private,
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
          field on which he has nobly laid down his
          ." --General Robert Edward Lee

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson,
          Canon or Lexmark
          > Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to
          the US & Canada.
          > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GmiolB/TM
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Keith G Phillips
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
            Thanks to all who replied about him. I am going to read the book and
            websites mentioned below. Any info is what I am looking for. I know he
            was called "old blinkey" and the few brief descriptions I have found
            about him in other books have portrayed him as a "second class General"
            not in the league of a Meade or Sherman. I have also perceived that he
            was a hard disiplinarian, having strung up a soldier by his thumbs, for
            calling him old blinkey.

            Thanks again to all.
            Keith
            RzrBacReb

          • Teej
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
              Keith Phillips wrote:

              > Thanks to all who replied about him. I am going to read the book and
              > websites mentioned below. Any info is what I am looking for. I know he
              > was called "old blinkey" and the few brief descriptions I have found
              > about him in other books have portrayed him as a "second class General"
              > not in the league of a Meade or Sherman. I have also perceived that he
              > was a hard disiplinarian, having strung up a soldier by his thumbs, for
              > calling him old blinkey.

              There's also some good information including a photograph of your
              ancestor in Warner's "Generals in Blue."

              Regards,
              Teej
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
                Dear Keith;

                Apparently in the Old Army T J Jackson had been a
                subordinate and had French brought up on charges for
                apparent drunkenness. The men under him knew he was very
                fond of the bottle and many of them did not like him for
                that.

                Also, I would suggest you read Jim Murfin's A Gleam of
                Bayonets in addition to Landscape Turned Red.

                Let me see if I can find anything about him in the Carman
                narration accompanying Sid Meier's Antietam game.