William Henry French-Union

  • rzrbacreb1
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 28, 2003
      Hi

      I just joined the group today. I am hoping to find some info about
      my GG Uncle General William Henry French. Any thread would be
      greatly appreciated.

      Keith Phillips
    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
        Hi Keith,

        Welcome to the group. I hope someone else will give you better
        details, but you might start with a basic bio sketch and a link to his
        Antietam after-action report online at:
        http://aotw.org/officers.php?officer_id=43

        Brian

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "rzrbacreb1" <rzrbacreb@j...> wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > I just joined the group today. I am hoping to find some info about
        > my GG Uncle General William Henry French. Any thread would be
        > greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Keith Phillips
      • Mary Hawthorne
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
          http://www.multied.com/Bio/UGENS/USAFrench.html
          http://www.virtualology.com/williamhenryfrench/
          http://aotw.org/officers.php?officer_id=43&from=results
          These are some sites that give short Bios of general French. If you are
          looking for more specifics about his role at Antietam I would read Landscape
          Turned Red by Stephen Sears or I would use the internet to search for
          specifice about his service with Sumner's Corp at that battle.
          Mary

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
            Dear Keith,

            Specifically (and beyond what is in Landscape Turned Red)
            what would you like to know about your ancestor at the
            Sunken Road at Antietam?

            Very respectfully,
            Your humble and obdt. Servant,
            G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
            Private,
            Confederate Signal Corps,
            Longstreet's Corps

            "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
            field on which he has nobly laid down his
            ." --General Robert Edward Lee

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Sponsor ---------------------~-->
            > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson,
            Canon or Lexmark
            > Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to
            the US & Canada.
            > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GmiolB/TM
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Keith G Phillips
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
              Thanks to all who replied about him. I am going to read the book and
              websites mentioned below. Any info is what I am looking for. I know he
              was called "old blinkey" and the few brief descriptions I have found
              about him in other books have portrayed him as a "second class General"
              not in the league of a Meade or Sherman. I have also perceived that he
              was a hard disiplinarian, having strung up a soldier by his thumbs, for
              calling him old blinkey.

              Thanks again to all.
              Keith
              RzrBacReb

            • Teej
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
                Keith Phillips wrote:

                > Thanks to all who replied about him. I am going to read the book and
                > websites mentioned below. Any info is what I am looking for. I know he
                > was called "old blinkey" and the few brief descriptions I have found
                > about him in other books have portrayed him as a "second class General"
                > not in the league of a Meade or Sherman. I have also perceived that he
                > was a hard disiplinarian, having strung up a soldier by his thumbs, for
                > calling him old blinkey.

                There's also some good information including a photograph of your
                ancestor in Warner's "Generals in Blue."

                Regards,
                Teej
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 30, 2003
                  Dear Keith;

                  Apparently in the Old Army T J Jackson had been a
                  subordinate and had French brought up on charges for
                  apparent drunkenness. The men under him knew he was very
                  fond of the bottle and many of them did not like him for
                  that.

                  Also, I would suggest you read Jim Murfin's A Gleam of
                  Bayonets in addition to Landscape Turned Red.

                  Let me see if I can find anything about him in the Carman
                  narration accompanying Sid Meier's Antietam game.