Damage from Isabel

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2003
      From today's Hagerstown Herald-Mail...

      ISABEL'S DAMAGE TO PARKS ASSESSED

      Tropical Storm Isabel caused an estimated $600,000 to $800,000 of damage last
      week at Antietam National Battlefield, Superintendent John Howard said
      Friday. High winds took off parts of the tin and metal roofs covering several
      historic buildings, including the Pry, Roulette and D.R. Miller barns and the
      Poffenberger houses. "The wind got up and peeled things back, in some cases worse
      than others," Howard said. The storm also compounded tree damage from a storm
      three weeks earlier.

      Howard said park employees fixed some of the damage this week, but it will
      take quite a while to repair everything because there is no extra money in the
      budget. The Snavely Ford trail has been closed since a storm hit Aug. 28,
      downing trees and eroding the creek bed. Also, two sections of the northeast
      corner of the cemetery are closed. Howard said some branches broke, but are still
      hanging in the trees. The tree damage should be cleaned up next week, he said.

      Parts of Catoctin Mountain Park in Thurmont, Md., also were hit hard. Park
      Ranger Debra Mills said 26 trees fell along the 1.2-mile Falls Nature Trail,
      between the visitor center and the intersection with Md. 77. The trees were
      still down on the trail Friday.

      Anticipating the storm, the park closed Camp Round Meadow, Camp Greentop,
      Owens Creek Campground, the Adirondack shelters and Poplar Grove Youth Tenting
      Area, but all have reopened. Fallen trees and debris prevented Camp Misty Mount
      from reopening right away, but Mills said during a phone interview Friday she
      thought it was open again. Mills cautioned hikers that trail conditions
      change dramatically in spots, from good to heavily damaged.

      Most of the 184.5-mile C&O Canal National Historical Park has reopened, too.
      A 20-mile portion of the towpath from Pennyfield Lock in Montgomery County to
      the Monocacy Aqueduct in Frederick County remains closed. But even some of
      the areas that are open may be hazardous, according to a park bulletin on
      closures.

    • Mary Hawthorne
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 27, 2003
        I was wondering if the parks service has something so that volunteers could
        come in and help with the cleanup? Or is there liability things prohibiting
        that?
        Mary