Burnside and Isabel

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2003
      Today's strange fact....

      Burnside, Kentucky was named in honor of General Ambrose Burnside of the
      Union Army who was stationed there during the Civil War. At that time Burnside was
      known as Point Isabel.

    • 128thpa@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 2003
        Wow, thanks for the info on the Antietam creek and thanks for the trivia Tom.

        The upside for Isabel for me has been in teaching. In the beginning of the
        year I do a lot of reviewing of map skills and geography, latitude and
        longitude, etc. Well, all of a sudden students are interested in all this
        stuff because they wanted to know if they or family would be in Isabel's
        path. So we had been tracking the storm all week and of course all these
        skills came into play.

        Paula
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 21, 2003
          Dear Paula,

          I was not able to get into the information. What did it say
          about Antietam Creek?

          Very respectfully,
          Your humble and obdt. Servant,
          G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
          Private,
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
          field on which he has nobly laid down his
          ." --General Robert Edward Lee

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/