RE: NIMA CD-ROM

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 16, 2003
      In a message dated 9/15/2003 4:10:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 128thpa@... writes:
      > How can this be purchased?

      Paula,

      I see the CD is offered online via Antietam bookstore.
      Several rangers encouraged me to buy it and said they enjoyed using it.
      Perhaps our resident topographer (Todd) has viewed it?

      Here is the info:

      ANTIETAM CD-ROM PHOTO MAP
      By NIMA (National Imagery and Mapping Agency)

      The maps contained on this CD show the Union and Confederate unit positions
      and movements during the Battle of Antietam. Two viewers are included:
      ERDAS Imagizer will show an orientation map and corresponding imagery of
      the area; MR SID Geoviewer will display one map or image at a time.

      For use with Windows platforms and UNIX.
      PRICE: $14.95

      URL is:
      http://store.yahoo.com/antietammuseum/ancdromphotm.html

      Tom Shay
    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 16, 2003
        A search via GOOGLE of "NIMA ANTIETAM" yielded several hits.

        Overview of the CD is at:
        http://www.nima.mil/ocrn/nima/antietam/

        Better yet, this site has details on the CD, samplings,and other battles available:
        http://www.nima.mil/cda/article/0,2311,3104_11762_1026505,00.html

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 16, 2003
          Dear Tom,

          Would say that Todd is very familiar with Mr. SID, so the CD
          sounds like a good one for any serious student of the battle
          to purchase.............

          Very respectfully,
          Your humble and obdt. Servant,
          G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
          Private,
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
          field on which he has nobly laid down his
          ." --General Robert Edward Lee

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson,
          Canon or Lexmark
          the US & Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • 128thpa@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 16, 2003
            I must be an idiot - I can't figure out how to order - is it online, or do you
            have to write to them? I don't see any prices listed. I got to the place
            where it lists the CD, but I can't seem to find how to actually get it.
            Yesh, I used to work for DOD, I should know how to order an NSN!! Now, I know
            how my customers felt!!

            Paula
          • TR Livesey
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 16, 2003
              I have not actually viewed this product.

              I will say, however, that all the Carman maps are free to download from
              the LOC website, along with many other historic Antietam maps. Free
              viewers are available also. I use the Mr SID photoshop plugin, so once
              an image is imported into photoshop, it can be printed or whatever
              from there.

              Goto http://memory.loc.gov, click on 'search' on the right, click on 'maps'
              on the right, enter 'Antietam' in the search box, and you come up
              with 20 some hits. Some are just park brochures. The carman maps
              are entitled 'Atlas of the battlefield of Antietam'. There are
              many gems. The Hotchkiss map entitled 'Antietam battlefield.
              Preliminary map no. 3" is not to be missed. A nice example of
              a great hachured map.

              Regards,
              TR Livesey
              tlivesey@...