Re: Antietam anecdote

  • Scott Mingus
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2003
      This incident allegedly occurred at Boteler's Ford on the 18th or so
      (prior to the Shepherdstown fight of course). Henry McClellan relayed
      this story in his book about JEB Stuart, and he was not always the
      most reliable reporter. Still, there seems to be a ring of truth
      about this particular story.

      Maxcy Gregg was much beloved by his men according to what I have
      read. He was considered an above average field commander and good
      tactician. As with many of his officers who fell in 1862, Lee would
      miss Gregg's talents at Gettysburg the following year, where the
      losses in senior commanders at times proved to be a problem as newly
      promoted junior officers failed to live up to their predecessors'
      abilities.

      Scott

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@a...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Scott,
      >
      > Fine story. Do you know the context? Was this at a ford on the
      > Potomac? What day did this happen? The text ("the rear or the
      > infantry") suggests the tail end of the ANV departure from
      Sharpsburg